September 2012 Moms
Options

too old to bathe together

Hey ladies, so this has nothing to do with the baby but I wanted opinions.
Since we have the LO we aren't going out for new years so I told DS, who's 6, he could have a friend over. His friend, same age but a girl, we have known forever. They have had sleepovers before.
I need to bathe them. I asked her mom and she said she doesn't care. We always have bathed them together. I'm not sure anymore.
When do you think it needs to stop? Are they too old already?

Re: too old to bathe together

• Options
    I would think they are too old, but I obviously have no experience with this.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    DS1 is same age as a female cousin. We stopped when they started kindergarten.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I personally would give them each their privacy and bathe them separate.
    Dexter 08/31/2012~Summer 07/25/2011~Jack 10/21/2008~Aaron 08/12/2007
  • Options
    Yes, too old I think. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I would think they are too old as well. That's my opinion!

• Options
    Uhh yeah, too old.

Mom to boy H - born September, 2012 and girl Z - born 2005. Wife to Gorgeous George. Slave to the man.

• Options
    I don't think it is a problem unless they don't want to.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I also think they're too old.

• Options
    I'm thinking too old. Unless of course they both have their swimsuits. That would be fun!

• Options
    Eh, they might be too old, but it's a one-time thing and if her mom knows your family really well and is okay with it, probably not a big deal. Just stay in the room to keep an eye out so the kids keep their hands to themselves. Use lots of bubbles to keep body parts mostly hidden and add toys to keep them distracted and playing. Or maybe you have a couple pairs of shorts or swim suits they can put on?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imagemamaHippo23:
    Eh, they might be too old, but it's a onetime thing and if her mom knows your family really well and is okay with it, probably not a big deal. Just stay in the room to keep an eye out so the kids keep their hands to themselves. Use lots of bubbles to keep body parts mostly hidden and add toys to keep them distracted and playing. Or maybe you have a couple pairs of shorts or swim suits they can put on?

Yeah I've known the family for years so we of course don't think it's weird or a big deal since the kids have known each other forever. But both her mom and I know there's a point where they shouldn't bathe together anymore we just didn't know when! I guess its about that time.
  • Options
    I remember a lot from 6 years old, including "liking" boys. Because "attraction" has started to develop by that age I would say they're too old. Even in their innocence I think once differences in the opposite sex are able to be recognized then boundaries should be set.

Anniversary

• Options
    imageStephJ:
    Too old.And I'm caught off guard that you're bathing her, too. Is that common? I can't imagine having someone else give my kid a bath when I'm not there. not that you're not trusty worthy or anything. I just don't ever remember taking a bath at a friends house.nbsp;

I didn't ever think about this! I don't bathe his friends usually, just her. It's just a habit. I've known the family for years before she was born so that's not an issue.
  • Options
    imageSteph+J:

Too old.

And I'm caught off guard that you're bathing her, too. Is that common? I can't imagine having someone else give my kid a bath when I'm not there. (not that you're not trusty worthy or anything. I just don't ever remember taking a bath at a friends house.) 

When I was really little... probably around this age, I used to have sleep overs with my girlfriends and we always had baths together. As a PP said, there were always lots of bubbles etc. so being nude was the last thing on our minds. We were more interested in playing with barbies in the bath tub or w/e. My mom was always really concerned with ensuring that I had baths or showers when I went for sleepovers because, at that age, we were always outside riding bikes and getting messy all day.
    I never had a bath with any of my male friends, however, so I'm not sure what the right answer here is. I doubt at six years old they even care. Sure, they see that they have different parts and are interested in each others bodies, but there's nothing sexual going on. Then again, I am a FTM and don't have any experience with a six year old, so maybe I am naive haha.

Me: 27 DH: 28
    Diagnosis: PCOS, irregular cycles, old lady eggs. DH is fine.
    Started TTC in January 2010. BFP December 25, 2011 between IF appts. 
    DD born August 31, 2012
    Began TTC again in Jan. 2013. 
    Four rounds of Clomid - BFN
    Fifth round of Clomid September/Oct - cancelled
    HSG scheduled for Oct. 30 - Tubes all clear
    December: Round one of Femara  - BFN
    Round two - ? 

image image image
  • Options
    imageLeSpoofle:
    imagebvandalsen:
    Ok, this is just my personal opinion, so you can take it or leave it. I believe once kids can recognize the differences between their bodies - that's when they are too old to bathe together. I would say, yes, they are too old to bathe together.
    I agree with this.

This.
    Gabriel 09-11-2012 No dairy, egg, peanuts, tree nuts
    DSC_0803
    DH deployed since July 22
  • Options
    I teach kindergarten and can tell you, they are starting to get pretty curious about what going on with the opposite sex. I can't tell you how many instances of, I'll show you mine if you show me yours, I've dealt with! Now granted, it's never been a huge deal and always just out of curiosity, but they do know the difference. I'd go with not bathing them together... But that's just me! Bathing suits and toys sound fun and ok tho!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

When I was 5-6, my mom used to let my friends and I take a bath in her jetted tub. Like pp said, it was more just to swim with our barbies and play in the bubbles to get us to settle down before bed. I never did with the opposite sex though. I don't remember bathing with my brother, so we stopped before I started remembering.

If you let your son bathe alone and you have 2 tubs in your house, I would have them bathe at the same time in different tubs.

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"