May 2013 Moms
Options

Feelings on gender?

I don't know if I want to know what sex my baby is. My hubby REALLY wants to know and is super excited for our a/s on thursday but I don't want to know. I think I'm afraid that if we find out that one of us or both of us are going to be disappointed (temporarily). My dad is pretty adamant that it should be a surprise at birth and I kind of want a surprise. I like being surprised (I rarely get that opportunity). Also, I'm not sure that I want to know because I want to keep everything for the baby pretty neutral and I know that as soon as people know the sex it will turn into what I like to call "pepto puke" (pink) or "a real train wreck" (blue & trains). My husband has a really hard time keeping secrets so if we do find out then I know he will tell everyone and their mother's-uncle's-cousin. ALL of that being said.. Does anyone else NOT want to know the sex of their baby? or Do I make any sense? I feel like everyone is all "GO TEAM, GO!" and I'm all "Ohh look at what I made! I don't care what it is !"

Re: Feelings on gender?

• Options
    It's a personal choice, and there is not one right answer. We found out with 1 mostly because my husband wanted to. He was leaving for Afghanistan and didn't know if he would be back for the birth, so I thought it was totally the right choice that we could find out together at the ultrasound. With 2 we agreed to find out again, and now we have 2 girls. This time we will not be finding out, because we want to enjoy the surprise and the suspense.
  • Options

I really wanted to know, but everyone is different.

Something to keep in mind, though: while it's true about the "pepto pink" and "train wreck" (or in our case, everything has puppies on it, since I'm a big dog person) -- going team green means you'll get a pale green froggy and yellow ducky explosion. There really is no winning when it comes to baby clothes if you're not into the cutesy thing that's so prevalent at Every. Freaking. Store.

Go with your gut, though. 

BFP #1 10/6/11 | EDD 6/15/12 | MMC 11/7/11 @ 8w3d | D&C 11/14/11

BFP #2 8/22/12 | EDD 5/5/13 | DS1 born 5/9/13

BFP #3 4/25/15 | EDD 1/7/16 | MMC 7/2/15 @ 13w1d | D&E 7/8/15

BFP #4 12/9/15 | EDD 8/22/16 | DS2 born 5/18/16 at 26w2d

Just keep swimming.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    You'll have to do what is right for you and your famiy.  We're team green for the third time and I love it.  And because I'm a scheduled cs mom, it adds some element of suprise that I otherwise would not get with natural labor.  GL deciding!  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    DH I don't care what we are having. We just feel blessed to have this opportunity to bring this life in the world. That may come from the fact that we did not think we'd be here after three unsuccessful years of TTC and fertility treatment for a year. However, we still want to know because we are nosy. And just because you have a a particular gender doesn't mean you have to go with the traditional gender specific colors. We have decided to go with a yellow nursery. For a girl clothing be a lot of purples and for a boy probably blues reds. The yellow has sentiment value to us because it was DH's late mother's favorite color. Purple in most forms is my favorite DH loves red blue. I absolutely ABHOR pink! Besides, I'm all for breaking tradition.
    "I am a woman phenomenally. Phenomenal woman, that's me."~Maya Angelou BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    imageShantxtell:
    I'm the opposite. I hate surprises and was thrilled to find out....I had no preference I just really wanted to see what LO was......if you want a surprise, go team green!nbsp;

Same here! But just because we know that it's a girl, we're not going crazy with the colors. I really love neutral colors and I'm a huge fan of browns, oranges, greens, etc. Everyone in our family knows that and although I'm sure there will still be some pink, I don't expect there to be a huge pink explosion. If someone doesn't understand why I don't want to go with all pink, I just say that we are planning to have more kids and it would be a waste of money to pay for everything again if we end up having a boy....which is actually true!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

When I first found out I am pregnant, I wanted to know the gender.  But, when it came time to find out, I changed my mind.  We skipped the ultrasound last week and are keeping the gender a surprise.  I am so excited about the decision.  One big reason for not wanting to know is that around 18 weeks or so, I started to feel more connected to the baby and want to focus solely on being good to the baby, getting to know the baby, etc. without any distractions about gender.  I don't want to think of it as BOY or GIRL only.  I want to focus on BABY.  I feel very content and my wonderful husband is being supportive about not finding out.  We both wanted to know at first, but when I changed my mind, he happily went along with it.  It's so exciting knowing the doctor will call out either "It's a boy!" or "It's a girl!".  :)

And, side note, I don't exactly want a pink or blue explosion of baby stuff either!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"