Babies: 9 - 12 Months

Help! Weaning and Sleeping

So I am trying to wean my 11 month old off the pacifier, which is only a problem during sleep times. We never really gave it to him, but to sleep so putting him down for naps and bedtime is such a pain. I don't know what to do to substitute/get him to go to sleep by himself. I don't want to rock him to sleep every time, lest he take that as the new routine. I don't know what to do, how long to let him "cry-it-out", anything. It's all too much.

Any advice? 

Re: Help! Weaning and Sleeping

• I know this isn't the answer you were looking for... but if it's just for naps and bedtime, why not let him have it? 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageCotterpinDoozer:
    I know this isn't the answer you were looking for... but if it's just for naps and bedtime, why not let him have it? 

I was thinking the same thing as this.  I'm not planning to take DS2's paci away at a year - he only uses it in the crib and in the car (he HATES the car).  DS1 had his in the bed only until 2 and gave it up on his own with no fight and has no teeth issues (been goign to the dentist for regular check ups since age 2). 

If you are going to take it and he doesn't have another security item, I would think about giving him a blanket or lovey of some sort.  It may take a few nights of crying (we did checks at 5min, 7min, and then 10min intervals until he was asleep).  Good luck!

• Loading the player...
  • My advice would be to maybe consider letting him have it a little longer. He's still a baby. Maybe also try a lovey. My son loved both. Especially a Taggie blanket. He loved rubbing the tags against his face while falling asleep.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"