Baby Names
Options

Which girl name?

Curious which do you prefer? I'm originally Iranian, dad is American and we have our girl's name narrowed down to these 2.

1. Leila (pronounced LAY-la)

2. Mitra (pronounced Meet-raw)

We are leaning towards Leila but sometimes I wonder what if we should have gone with Mitra...

Re: Which girl name?

• Options

Leila

Mr. & Mrs. - Est. 10.03.2009

TTC #1 since 06.2011 Me-24 DH-24

12.2011 SA = Normal

06.2012 First visit with OB/GYN

10.2012 Clomid 50mg + TI = BFN

11.2012 Clomid 50mg + TI = BFN

12.2012 Clomid 100mg + TI = BFN

01.2013 First visit with RE

02.2013 Clomid 150mg + TI = BFN

03.2013 Femara 5mg + TI = BFN

05.2013 Femara 5mg + TI = BFN

06.2013 Femara 7.5mg + TI = BFN

*Taking a break*  

• Options
    I prefer Leila! If Mitra was Mit-rah or Meet-rah I would like it but Meet-raw....raw meat...not so much!
    Carly
    (Former UN: iloveshanej)

Birdie born 05/01/2007
    Rainbow Surprise Baby due 05/26/2017                                          

Potato Launcher

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Leila definitely. 
    Began TTC #1 in January 2011
    Confirmation and Removal of Endo - March 2012
    +#1 on 4/1/12 - m/c @ ~8w 5d
    +#2 Tx cycle 4 - 5 mg Letrozole + 75iu Follsitim & Ovidrel w/ IUI on 11/13/12 - EDD 7/23/13 
    7 week u/s revealed THREE babies, all with heartbeats.  153bpm, 148bpm, and 136bpm
    9 week u/s revealed loss of Baby B.  A and C are growing on track.  A measuring 9w1d with 172bpm and C measuring 9w0d with 179 bpm.  
    Elective sex determination u/s on 2/8 revealed... boy AND girl!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

I think calling a child a word that's pronounced "Meet-raw" is problematic in America.

You get a pass on a name like this in my book only if it's a very traditional Iranian girl name, but I seriously think you made the right decision to go with Leila if your child will spend most of her life in America.

High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • Options
    imagehoneydew01:

Curious which do you prefer? I'm originally Iranian, dad is American and we have our girl's name narrowed down to these 2.

1. Leila (pronounced LAY-la)

2. Mitra (pronounced Meet-raw)

We are leaning towards Leila but sometimes I wonder what if we should have gone with Mitra...

I much prefer Leila over Mitra because of the way Mitra is pronounced. All I can think of is raw meat as well.

Happily married to my Snorkelbutt - 07/31/10

BFP #1 09/02/11  M/C 09/12/11 8w6days
    BFP #2 07/18/12 Baby S born on his EDD 03/23/13

SS - age 12...SD - age 8...DS - 13 mos.
  • Options
    imageIloveshanej:
    I prefer Leila! If Mitra was Mitrah or Meetrah I would like it but Meetraw....raw meat...not so much!

Yes..
  • Options
    Leila (FWIW, I would assume Mitra was pronounced Meat-ruh, vs. Meet-raw, but don't like it either way)
  • Options

I'm so glad I posted this here. See, I don't associate the RAW sound to "raw meat" since Farsi is my native language but I can definitely see how you'd associate it to "raw meat" and yes my kid will be raised here and we went through many names to make sure she won't have as difficult as a time as me (Persian name, hard to pronounce) with her name.

I'm surprised DH didn't catch and mention that because he did have a thing or two to say about each Iranian name I suggested...ex. Ramin pronounced Rah-Mean, DH said sounds like "top ramen or a mean person", "Nima" pronounced Neema, DH said "sounds like Nemo, the fish..." I am surprised DH didn't say Mitra sounds like raw meat. :)

Thanks guys, looks like it's going to be Leila.

• Options
    I love Leila, not really a fan of Mitra. 
    11/2010 Diagnosed with PCOS 
    10/31/11 M/C at 9 weeks
    1/12/13 DD was born
    4/9/16 DS was born 
    9/17 CP 
    6/23/18 BFP EDD 3/4/19 

• Options
  • Options

I love the name Leila!  That would be my choice!

And I agree with the others in regards to Mitra's pronunciation.  

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options

Leila is really pretty, and it sounds like it translates well to both your cultures.

While I don't dislike Mitra, the only place I know it is as a last name, so that's what I think of. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I prefer Leila.

Danica 10.22.10 | Milo 12.23.12

PicMonkey Collage3

• Options

I'll be the voice of dissent.  I know a couple Mitras, and none pronounce it like Meat-raw, and I'm fairly certain that's not how you're pronouncing it either if Farsi is your primary language. They pronounce the last syllable like "Rah" as in "rah rah rah!" 

I prefer Mitra because it looks like it sounds. I never know whether to pronounce Leila as Layla or Leelah because I know people who pronounce it each way, and spell it Leila. 

June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Leila
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Leila!

Anna Catherine 7/23/2012, 35 weeks 5 days, 5 lbs 5 oz (PProm)

Baby Sam 10/4/2013, 36 weeks 2 days, 5 lbs 14 oz

• Options
    I go for Leila  :-)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"