Stay at Home Moms
Options

Zpack for the flu?!

I'm pretty certain I have the flu. It has gone through our entire family. I went to the doctor today to have my lungs checked because I'm having a lot of pain in my chest. They took a chest x-ray and a flu test, but of course they were closing early today and I won't hear anything until Wednesday. The doc gave me a Z-pack to take. I thought the flu was a virus and that the antibiotics wont help. I started thinking about it more and more when I got home. Will they do more harm than good? I'm nursing and hate to take antibiotics if I really don't need them.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Zpack for the flu?!

• Options
    I thought Tamiflu was the only thing that could help, and it has to be taken within 48 hrs of the first symptoms...

Like pp said, maybe it's in case you're developing something else, like pneumonia...?
    someecardscom - Im well on my way to getting absolutely nothing done today
    DD1: allergic to eggs & dairy Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    c/p 4/1/11

DD2: milk and soy protein intolerant, allergic to eggs, soy, peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, bananasBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    MSPI Moms Check-In Blog
  • Options

Flu can not be treated with an antibiotic, its viral.

A secondary infection, that can be caused by the flu can be treated with an antibiotic, such as pneumonia, bronchitis, etc.

So, I'm thinking you doc must have thought you had some kind of secondary infection.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    The flu test is rapid and only takes ten minutes- I am assuming your physician is taking precautions against a respiratory infection versus the flu. Hope you feel better soon!

February 2011- M/C
    March 2011- BFP resulting in... 12/2011 bouncing baby boy! 
    October 2013- BFP- M/C
  • Options
    imagelisamoe:

Flu can not be treated with an antibiotic, its viral.

A secondary infection, that can be caused by the flu can be treated with an antibiotic, such as pneumonia, bronchitis, etc.

So, I'm thinking you doc must have thought you had some kind of secondary infection.

This is what I was thinking. I had a cold that moved into a sinus infection type thing, Z-pack cleared it up so quick. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    What's a Zpack? I see people refer to it all the time but I have no idea what it is. Special antibiotics or something?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"