Baby Showers

Baptism help needed

I know this is the baby shower board, but I thought you might be able to help with a baptism question. A family friend who is a deacon is performing the baptism. What kind of a gift should I give? Or, should I just give money, which I find awkward but might be correct! TIA!

ETA: This is my baby!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image

Re: Baptism help needed

• We don't do baptisms but we do baby dedications (similar).  The gifts my kids have gotten are:  children's Bible, other books, clothes, toys but mostly checks.  When we go we always give a check...then they can do what they want with it (put it in a savings/colllege fund for the LO, buy what is needed for LO, or put toward the cost of the baptism.  I know when I attended Catholic church the Baptism was something that the parents gave the priest $$ for. 
  • imagerhubarb123:
    We don't do baptisms but we do baby dedications (similar).  The gifts my kids have gotten are:  children's Bible, other books, clothes, toys but mostly checks.  When we go we always give a check...then they can do what they want with it (put it in a savings/colllege fund for the LO, buy what is needed for LO, or put toward the cost of the baptism.  I know when I attended Catholic church the Baptism was something that the parents gave the priest $$ for. 

I think OP means gift to the deacon, not the baby who is getting baptized.

• Loading the player...
  • imageTX-Bride:

imagerhubarb123:
    We don't do baptisms but we do baby dedications (similar).  The gifts my kids have gotten are:  children's Bible, other books, clothes, toys but mostly checks.  When we go we always give a check...then they can do what they want with it (put it in a savings/colllege fund for the LO, buy what is needed for LO, or put toward the cost of the baptism.  I know when I attended Catholic church the Baptism was something that the parents gave the priest $$ for. 

I think OP means gift to the deacon, not the baby who is getting baptized.

LOL - oh I did misread that.  Why would a guest at the Baptism give $$ to the deacon performing the Baptism?  I guess I don't understand that.  In the Catholic church I attended the parents of the baby (or sometimes the grandparents) took care of that.  No other gifts were given except to the baby.  Obviously things are done differently in her church.

• Sorry, I didn't mention that the baby is mine! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image
  • Cash to the officiant is pretty standard from what I have seen. I think the church I go to even had a suggested donation amount or chart, so you could try googling something like that if you are not sure how much to give. I don't think cash is boring or impersonal, and would be completely appropriate even for a friend.
  • a donation to the church is standard but if the deacon is a family friend maybe a nice fruit basket or similar could be sent directly to the deacon after the service as a special thank you :)
    BabyFruit Ticker Nursing Bras at Nurtured Family image
  • Are you a member of the church? I work at a church and the only time there has been a gift (money) given to the pastor or church has been when the parents are not members of the church.  
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm Catholic and we gave the Deacon who performed the ceremony a stipend. We weren't sure if the money should go to the individual or the church, so we gave cash in a simple thank you note to avoid the "to" confusion on a check...

I think that stipends are pretty customary for baptisms.
  • Does the deacon have a secretary or assistant at the church, or is there a general admin person there to whom you can address this question? I'd go that route rather than guessing.

Barring that, I'd ask the deacon himself as a last resort. I don't think I'd guess what / how to give unless I was certain I was on the right track.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"