Baby Names
Options

Last opinion post

for this name. Would you side eye a girl named Devan (pronouned Dev-uhn) Sophia or a boy named Corban (pronounced Cor-buhn) Preston?
Carly
(Former UN: iloveshanej)

Birdie born 05/01/2007
Rainbow Surprise Baby due 05/26/2017                                          

Potato Launcher

Re: Last opinion post

• Options
    nope! I actually personally love them!
    Anniversary
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Love: March 2010  Marriage: July 2013  Debt Free: October 2014  TTC: April 2015
     BFP: April 10, 2016 EDD: December 19, 2016 Team Blue!
    Oscar born November 20, 2016 at 35w6d

• Options
    I don't like the spellings, personally. I'd go with Devin Sophia and Corbin Preston.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    P/SAIF Welcome
    Invisible Finish Line
    3T's Traveling Ovary Blog
    7DPO Progesterone: low. CD3 BW: normal, HSG: clear
    DX: severe MFI (low all 3) and low T. Undergoing replacement therapy.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

While I have known a girl named Devin, I still view it as a boy name and would definitely side-eye the Devan spelling. 

Corban is mis-spelled and would absolutely get the side eye from me. You also will deal with correcting people on spelling and pronunciation because it says Cor-ban.  I also don't think it flows well with Preston, which isn't a big deal if Preston is a family name but if it is not I would definitely look into other mn options. 

11/2010 Diagnosed with PCOS 
    10/31/11 M/C at 9 weeks
    1/12/13 DD was born
    4/9/16 DS was born 
    9/17 CP 
    6/23/18 BFP EDD 3/4/19 

• Options
    I don't like Devan for a girl. Corban is okay, but NMS.
    Lilypie - (KNqh)
  • Options

imagebrookelynpaisley:
    I don't like the spellings, personally. I'd go with Devin Sophia and Corbin Preston.

I am on the fence with Devan but Corban is a family name so we are would like to stick to it. Preston and Sophia are also family names!

Thanks everyone for your opinions! 

Carly

Birdie born 05/01/2007

Potato Launcher

• Options
    I really like the names, just not a fan of the spellings. I would side eye the spelling of Corban and Devan.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers  
  • Options

yes, I would side eye a girl Devan.  I know it as a boy name and spelled Devon.

Love love love Sophia, but super popular.

Corban Preston is fine, no side eye from me on that one.

However, I like Corbin spelling better.

TTC #1 for over 5 years - too many to count IF treatments (tried everything and anything), repeat miscarriages. Finally, Sticky Success!! B/G Twins arrived 2011. VOTE on my Name List Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Devan - Like it, but it's NMS.

Corban - NoNo

Mr. & Mrs. - Est. 10.03.2009

TTC #1 since 06.2011 Me-24 DH-24

12.2011 SA = Normal

06.2012 First visit with OB/GYN

10.2012 Clomid 50mg + TI = BFN

11.2012 Clomid 50mg + TI = BFN

12.2012 Clomid 100mg + TI = BFN

01.2013 First visit with RE

02.2013 Clomid 150mg + TI = BFN

03.2013 Femara 5mg + TI = BFN

05.2013 Femara 5mg + TI = BFN

06.2013 Femara 7.5mg + TI = BFN

*Taking a break*  

• Options
    I like both names but not the spelling. To me Devon=girl and Devin=boy. Devan just looks wrong either way. I prefer Corbin over Corban. I think the "an" in both names suggest an "anne" sound.

• Options

I really like your name Corban Preston for a boy!  And the spelling doesn't bother me.

Personally I'm not a fan of Devan for a girl, but if you both like it, go for it!  Sophia is a lovely first or middle name! 

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options

imageg8trkim:
    I like both names but not the spelling Devan. To me Devon=girl and Devin=boy. Devan just looks wrong either way.

I think that I prefer Devon on a girl, too. I don't know. The name is just NMS.

Mr. & Mrs. - Est. 10.03.2009

TTC #1 since 06.2011 Me-24 DH-24

12.2011 SA = Normal

06.2012 First visit with OB/GYN

10.2012 Clomid 50mg + TI = BFN

11.2012 Clomid 50mg + TI = BFN

12.2012 Clomid 100mg + TI = BFN

01.2013 First visit with RE

02.2013 Clomid 150mg + TI = BFN

03.2013 Femara 5mg + TI = BFN

05.2013 Femara 5mg + TI = BFN

06.2013 Femara 7.5mg + TI = BFN

*Taking a break*  

• Options
    imageJoy2611:

Corban Preston is fine.  Corban isn't my style, but I wouldn't side eye it.

I would give a side eye to Devan, though.  Not the name on a girl so much, but the pronunciation/spelling. 

Devan - dev-anne or dev-ahn to me, not dev-in or dev-uhn.  Devin or Devon is fine, though.  Is there a family reason for Devan?

Agreed. I love Devin Sophia (spelled that way)
  • Options
    I would side eye Devan but, not Corban.
  • Options
    No particular reason for spelling Devan with an "a". I think we just s;ightly prefer the look and it is a legit spelling just as Devin and Devon IMO. I definitely prefer it to Devon but I'm still not 100% sure between Devin and Devan. We have plenty of time since we are still TTCing. I'm sure people side eye Ryann pronounced Ryan as well. Hmmm, so many things to think about ;-) Thanks for the opinions, help and suggestions!
    Carly

Birdie born 05/01/2007

Potato Launcher

• Options
    Devan is awful.  I don't like Corban either. 
    Began TTC #1 in January 2011
    Confirmation and Removal of Endo - March 2012
    +#1 on 4/1/12 - m/c @ ~8w 5d
    +#2 Tx cycle 4 - 5 mg Letrozole + 75iu Follsitim & Ovidrel w/ IUI on 11/13/12 - EDD 7/23/13 
    7 week u/s revealed THREE babies, all with heartbeats.  153bpm, 148bpm, and 136bpm
    9 week u/s revealed loss of Baby B.  A and C are growing on track.  A measuring 9w1d with 172bpm and C measuring 9w0d with 179 bpm.  
    Elective sex determination u/s on 2/8 revealed... boy AND girl!
  • Options

imagemegemoney:
    Devan is awful.  I don't like Corban either. 

Can you ellaborate on why you think Devan is awful? 

Carly

Birdie born 05/01/2007

Potato Launcher

• Options
    I don't like Devan for a girl. Just don't. But I'm really not a fan of unisex names at all. I like your boys name.
  • Options

imagebrookelynpaisley:

This.  The only other thing is I don't like pairing names that end similarly - Corb"in" Prest"on" they don't seem to flow well to me, but I like all the names on their own and actually really like Devin for a girl.

• Options

imageIloveshanej:
    No particular reason for spelling Devan with an "a". I think we just s;ightly prefer the look and it is a legit spelling just as Devin and Devon IMO. I definitely prefer it to Devon but I'm still not 100% sure between Devin and Devan. We have plenty of time since we are still TTCing. I'm sure people side eye Ryann pronounced Ryan as well. Hmmm, so many things to think about ;-) Thanks for the opinions, help and suggestions!

I just noticed the 2 n's in Ryann. Is there a reason why you did that?

I don't like Devan for a girl, and Corban is ok.  I wouldn't side eye your spelling on either name. I see nothing wrong with tweeking the spelling to your liking.

TTGP March Siggy Challenge
  • Options
    imageLue94:

imageIloveshanej:

I don't like Devan for a girl, and Corban is ok.  I wouldn't side eye your spelling on either name. I see nothing wrong with tweeking the spelling to your liking.

Good question and thanks for your input! DD is named after my ex's great grandma. She was originally Rhian but when she came to America from Wales, she changed the spelling to Ryann. We went back and forth on the spelling but finally decided to go with the spelling she chose to change it to because we felt that honored her better. 

Carly

Birdie born 05/01/2007

Potato Launcher

• Options
    I'm not sure on the spelling of Devan. I think I agree with pp that I want to pronounce it differently. Then I can't devide between Devin and Devon on a girl, it's NMS so it's hard for me. Corban, because of the family spelling, is fine. I don't think I like that they both rhyme with Ryann is the big thing.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    imageIloveshanej:
    imageLue94:

imageIloveshanej:

Good question and thanks for your input! DD is named after my ex's great grandma. She was originally Rhian but when she came to America from Wales, she changed the spelling to Ryann. We went back and forth on the spelling but finally decided to go with the spelling she chose to change it to because we felt that honored her better. 

Cool story. I like using names to honor loved ones. 

TTGP March Siggy Challenge
  • Options
    Devan to me sounds like a boy.  Corban is just fine.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I don't really like Devan, but I wouldn't side it.  I also wouldn't side eye Corban either.

Anna Catherine 7/23/2012, 35 weeks 5 days, 5 lbs 5 oz (PProm)

Baby Sam 10/4/2013, 36 weeks 2 days, 5 lbs 14 oz

• Options
    Thanks for the input everyone. We'll definitely go with Corban Preston and will decide on Devan or Devin later but will also definitely use the name as well as Sophia as a mn!
    Carly

Birdie born 05/01/2007

Potato Launcher

• Options
    I have 2 Devin's in my class this year...a girl and a boy. The girl HATES her name and makes it very clear. I say no.

I like Corbin.
    Allie ~ 01/26/09 ~ 7 lbs, 9 oz ~ 20.75 in. & Amelia ~ 03/16/11 ~ 8 lbs, 1 oz ~ 21 in.

• Options
    Devan, yes.  Without a doubt.  
    Corban, I like. Quite a bit!  
    :)

BFP #1 - July 28, 2013.
    EDD: April 9, 2014
  • Options
    Thanks everyone!
    Carly

Birdie born 05/01/2007

Potato Launcher

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"