August 2012 Moms

Feeling bad about DD's Name

Feeling bad about DD's Name

DD's name is Colette, nn Colie.  I think it's a pretty/classic/not weird name, but I'm starting to get a little frustrated w/ my choice.

I feel like I have to sllloowwly enunciate her name when I tell people what her name is, or else I get a "huh" or "spell it??" - maybe because it's not common? Also just heard that when it's said quickly it sounds like c.l.i.t. Argh.

Also I have a great relationship with my family but yesterday my parents were visiting me after visiting my sister and said that my sister had said "I have to think of another nickname for Colette, I just can't call her Colie, it doesnt sound right" (when I was pregnant and thinking of names she said Colie, like Colon?)

Then my dad was like "yeah it is weird, always sounds like E. Coli to me"  WTF dad!!!

So I've just been sulking about her name lately...anyone else have these issues?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Feeling bad about DD's Name

• I love the nickname.   Try to pick one out for Leah ::bangs head on desk:: very difficult.   Who cares what they think it is your baby girl and if you like it and she doesn't mind when she is older they can get over it.   I said Collette three times fast and I guess I can hear what you are talking about but I wouldn't have thought that unless you mentioned it and I listened for it.  
    BabyFruit Ticker

• No ideas bUt I think her name is beautiful. One of my favs!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I had similar frustrations with my daughter's name, Nefertiti. I had a big blow out here Nana because she said it was too ethnic and I was keeping her being successful. She suggested I name her a more Caucasian name so she'll blend in better.
    I had another blow out with my dad's wife because she said she wouldn't call her full name because she was a pagan goddess. ::major eye roll:: to both.
    If you love the name screw them. There is always going to be someone to say something smart about something. Whether her name, looks or choices.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My daughters name is Scarlet, and I LOVE it obviously, since I picked it...the problem is Scarlet is very mature and doesn't roll off the tongue that easily so we nicknamed her Scar. I think its cute but lots of ppl have looked at me really weird when they hear me call her Scar. But I don't have lot of other nickname options for Scarlet.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Scarlet Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I wish I would have allowed Coopers first name to be Anthony after his dad and used Cooper as a middle name but we would have still called him Cooper.
  • I think it's a beautiful name!

Beckett just appeared in the pottery barn kids catalog....really????? Same thing happened with my first...Logan. It's like I pick the name that will most likely blow up.
    WEBONLY_NOPRINT_DSC_1509-2-2236294072-O
    DS #1 Born: 10/03/06, DS #2 Born: 08/06/12 My Cooking Blog
  • imageCLeigh03:
    I think it's a beautiful name!

Beckett just appeared in the pottery barn kids catalog....really????? Same thing happened with my first...Logan. It's like I pick the name that will most likely blow up.

Yeah there are a slew of Bentleys popping up around here. I guess Drake is still in the clear at least! Smh.
    Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I think Colette is lovely! It's not common, but it's not crazy or weird. All that matters is you love it. And I'm sure your DD will too one day.
  • I couldn't go with CoCo as a nn because I maybe watch Ice-T and CoCo occasionally and just can't handle that association!!

Thanks guys, you're making me feel a little better - love that my family is always super honest with each other, but I do think there are times when they can keep their thoughts to themselves :)  I thought I was avoiding all the crap name associations by not telling people what our choice was until after she was born.  SURELY people wouldn't make jerk statements after she's HERE.  Wrong...

• Don't have any NN suggestions but I think Colette is a beautiful name!
  • How about Letty?

I think Colette is beautiful!

• I'm not a fan of nicknames, so I won't be any help there...but, I do think Colette is a really pretty name. I don't think it needs shortening at all and it kind of takes away from the name to do so, but again, not a fan of nns.

If you don't like the way they're pronouncing her nickname, tell them to just call her by her name, instead of coming up with a different nickname. 

I think when you pick a name that isn't common, you should just know that you signed up for forever enunciating it to people. DS' name is Sergio...pretty well spelled out, sounds just like it's spelled, and I cannot tell you how many times I have to pronounce it over and over again for people when they ask. But, I knew we weren't naming him Jack or something, so I knew we'd have this problem.

A12 Sig Challenge - Favorite Fall Show!
    SCANDAL!

• We do mostly use her full name, but it's hard to do in a a sing-song voice when talking to her (I swear I make everything we do into a song, it's crazy) So then we shorten it to Colie - and of course if your name has more than one syllable people always try to find a nickname ...even if it's the same amount of syllables....
  • imageCourtneyEPillar:
    Aw I think it's a beautiful name. It reminds me of Colette, Paris where my SIL lives. I have a friend named Colette and she goes by Ettie sometimes and her parents call her CoCo which is kind of cute. I wouldn't let their comments get to you, family can be really good at making you feel like crap sometimes or second guessing your decisions.

either of these nicknames are very cute! And I like the name Colette! Don't change it just because some people have a hard time of hearing.

• Colette is a beautiful name!

Our daughter is Wilhelmina but we call her Mina most of the time. It's an unusual name but we love it. It is a name from my family history, she was my great great great grandma that immigrated from Sweden.
  • imageAmbsies:

imageCLeigh03:

Don't you hate that?!?  I picked "Lily" to honor my mom.  Then when I was looking through the baby names book I spotted "Liliana", which was the Italian variation of Lily.  I had NEVER heard it before and thought it was beautiful.  I had no idea Lily and Liliana would be so insanely popular.  Oh well- I still love it.

I scratched "Gavin" off our list for DS when I started seeing it pop up in so many kids catalogs.  But Wyatt is growing in popularity too.  Again: oh well.

ETA: OP, I love the name Colette!

Yes! Didn't a celebrity use the name Lily? I could be wrong but when that happens you're pretty much screwed....celebrities and pottery barn kids catalogs!!

I love the name though!! Wyatt is also great.
    WEBONLY_NOPRINT_DSC_1509-2-2236294072-O
    DS #1 Born: 10/03/06, DS #2 Born: 08/06/12 My Cooking Blog
  • Colette is a beautiful name.  When I think of Coco I think of my dog named Coco lol.  
  • If you say Colette and someone say huh? Spell it? Then they are stupid... And you can't fix stupid. It's not a hard name to understand. It's quite beautiful. People blow my mind on a regular basis.

• imageJillwithani:
    I wish I would have allowed Coopers first name to be Anthony after his dad and used Cooper as a middle name but we would have still called him Cooper.

No No No!!!! Cooper is a fantastic name! That will be out sons name if we have a son... Cooper Alexander.

• I love the name Colette! I knew a very talented figure skater with that name. I agree with PPs, I wouldn't shorten it. You will get in the habit of saying her full name. My neices name is Lenorah and we all were convinced we would call her Nora for short but we all call her by her full name. And that is way more syllables than Colette!

• I think Colette is a beautiful, not strange, but not common name!

We named DD Emilia.  I thought it was a not strange but not common name too.  I cannot tell you how many people asked me how to pronounce it.  And I realize I enunciate it all weird too because I say Eh-me-lee-uh, not Uh-me-lee-uh.  We did it with an E for the sole purpose to call her Emmy and not have to name her Emily or Emma.  I never suspected that it is a name she's going to have to either spell out or pronounce for other people.  Oh well...

• I like the name, Colette and acutally I know a few Colette's so it's not uncommon.  Don't listen to what other people say, it's rude of them to comment, honestly. 

• First off, Colette is a good name...I like it.

Now if you insist on a NN id absolutely go with Lettie/Letty. Its an adorable NN to Colette. When I was a child one of my friends older sister was named Colette but went by Lettie.

Another NN I like for Colette would be Cole. I tend to like masculine names on girls and I think Cole would be cute.
  • I love the name! It's beautiful! I agree with pp's, it really doesn't need a nn, but if you use one, use what ever YOU like, not your family. If they want to come up with a name they call her, go for it. I come from a family where you go by a nn. If you are called your real name, well, your either in trouble or they aren't family.

When I named Camille, I did it with the purpose of calling her Cam. I actually use Camille more often, but family calls her Cami a lot to go with DD1, who is Cali. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic C 5.14.08 c 8.9.12 Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I love her name!

We use ds middle name for his nickname/what I call him 99% of the time.

W (02/2009), N (08/2012), and C (04/2014)
  • imagekikimo327:
    I love the name Colette. nbsp;Why do you need a nickname?And personally, when I hear the name Coco, I think of Coco Chanel, not sleazy Coco. nbsp;nbsp;[/quote

I was also going to ask why she needs a nickname. It's a lovely name.
    I also think of Courtney Cox's daughter when I hear the name Coco.
    TTC since 3-08 IVF # 1 Dec 2011 BFP DD born at 31 weeks 6-24-12

FET #1 Dec 2013 BFN

FET # 2 Feb 2014 BFN

No more frosties

IVF #2. September 2014

PGD yielded 2 perfect 5d blasts

SET November 9, 2014
    Nov 23, 2014. Another BFN

Not sure where to go from here.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Colette is a beautiful name and I know a Colette too so it's not too uncommon.

If it helps, my son's name is Aston.  It was my husband's favorite name and I didn't have a boy name I loved, but I rebeled against it for awhile because I was afraid once he got older, kids would shorten his name to a.s.s.  Once I told people we were naming DS Aston, a few people even said "what's his nn going to be ass?" Ugh.  His middle name is Joseph though, so if it does start happening, he can go by AJ if he wants to.

• My DD's middle name is Colette. I did it because my nickname is Cole, so it was kind of a way to name her after me. Weird I know, but I figure if men can do it so can I! No one in my family has said anything bad at all about Colette. It could be because her first name is Charlie and they say enough about that one. Oh well. I hope your family eases up on it soon!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"