Nurseries and Baby Gear
Options

Anyone make there own curtains?

I'm shocked at the cost of custom curtains!!

I'm seriously considering making them myself. I'm a relatively crafty person but have absolutely no sewing experience. Fortunately, my mom owns a sewing machine and is able to sew in a straight line. I've recruited her to help me lol.

I've looked at some really detailed tutorials online but am still really nervous about it.

I plan on lining the curtains because I feel it gives it a more professional look. Do you think that blackout is best or just regular lining? I'm also planning on doing back tabs. Are curtains with back tabs easy to draw shut?

Any and all tips and advice are greatly appreciated!!

Mr.&Mrs. Ash&Vic Est.1.21.2006 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Anyone make there own curtains?

• Options

I've made curtains a few times (for nurseries/kid's rooms). I definitely recommend black-out fabric, makes the room dark and keeps the room cooler (both great for summer). I usually buy it at JoAnn's and always use a coupon!

I have never made back-tab curtains...in fact, I've never used a pattern.  I usually just do what I think is called Pole Top, because it is way easy.  And if they are long, I put ties on them so they can be drawn back on the sides but stay together at top (I hate when curtains are uneven). 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

I made curtains for DD per the "instructions" on YoungHouseLove.com with the same fabric and everything. The only thing that I did differently was to stitch heavy duty black out material to the backs of them.

Our nursery gets really dark which is so nice and I get so many compliments on the curtains in general. I would suggest an indoor/outdoor fabric if you haven't considered it since it's so nice for them to be easily wipeable with sticky toddler hands all over them.

Good luck!! 

Hadley 3.2011 | Ali 7.2013 | Jack 1.2016
    NEW PEANUT DUE 7.2017 <3
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I thought about making them but with the cost of fabric, plus the black out material I don't think it would have saved me much money. Maybe it depends how big your windows are? I found curtains at JCP online and they were reasonable. I also found a coupon code online.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I made some for DS's room.  I didn't know what I was doing before I started but they turned out great. I have a bit of sewing experience.  I lined them with black out material. I put in grommets which were really simple to use and I like how easy they close.  Yes you could buy cheaper curtains from some places but if you want a certain print its worth it. 
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thank you ladies! I totally agree with PP I could get cheaper curtains from plenty of other places, but then I would be stuck going for a solid color curtain or settling for a print that may not be my ideal choice. I would rather spend a little more money and get the fabric I really want. Hopefully my mom and I can pull this off!!
  • Options
    I still haven't decided if I'm going to make them, but if I do, I'm going to follow this tutorial - https://www.viewalongtheway.com/2012/06/tutorial-how-to-sew-lined-back-tab-curtains-drapes-curtain-panels-whatever/.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I have made many many curtains, I like the blackout lining for bedroom in general.  BTW, they are the easiest sewing project.
  • Options
    I do not consider myself very good at sewing, but I was able to easily make my living room curtains. I actually bought curtain clips from target, just clips that are on a metal circle that you ring onto the curtain rod,so that I didn't have to get fancy with the curtain top. They look great and were super easy to make!
  • Options

I made a child-safe roman shade (the cords on the back are shrouded-- like this: https://www.terrelldesigns.com/Instructions/Make-a-Safety-Compliant-Classic-Roman-Shade/Preparing-to-Make-Safety-Compliant-Classic-Shade) for my DS's nursery window. I made it because I like to choose my own fabric, and the window is a really weird size. I used black out material for the lining and am so glad I did. I like my sleeping rooms dark.

Making a curtain is mostly an exercise in very fiddly measuring and cutting of fabric. That part is hard to make absolutely perfect and square when you are dealing with lots of fabric and long lengths. The sewing part is for me the easiest part.

I also made a crib skirt and fitted sheets to coordinate with my roman shade. I may add a crib bumper when DS is a year and if he is not a climber. 

IVF #1 ET 1 d3 embryo 10/30/11 BFP
    3 Embryos frozen (1 d5, 2 d6)

DS born 07/29/12

FET #1 ET 1 d5 embryo 02/10/15 BFN

FET #2 1 d6 embryo didn't survive thaw, transferred last d6. CP :(

• Options
    imageRJM050705:
    I still haven't decided if I'm going to make them, but if I do, I'm going to follow this tutorial - https://www.viewalongtheway.com/2012/06/tutorial-how-to-sew-lined-back-tab-curtains-drapes-curtain-panels-whatever/.
    That is the tutorial I was planning on using too! I love how her curtains came out.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"