Health & Exercise

working out and bf-ing

I plan on breastfeeding my baby after she's born, but I'm curious how this will work out when getting back into my gym routine. Do I have to wear a special sports bra? Will I leak when I run? Any advice would be appreciated! TIA! 

Re: working out and bf-ing

• You'll want a very supportive sports bra.  If your worried about leaking, wear a nursing pad to help.   Make sure you are drinking TONS of water as that will help you stay hydrated and keep your milk supply up.  I also nursed my son before and after I worked out to keep my supply up.  Also - make sure your eating enough.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageHappyMommy28:

You'll want a very supportive sports bra.  If your worried about leaking, wear a nursing pad to help.   Make sure you are drinking TONS of water as that will help you stay hydrated and keep your milk supply up.  I also nursed my son before and after I worked out to keep my supply up.  Also - make sure your eating enough.  

Pretty much what she said.  I worked our while BF all 3 of my kids w/o issues.

• Loading the player...
  • imageHappyMommy28:

You'll want a very supportive sports bra.  If your worried about leaking, wear a nursing pad to help.   Make sure you are drinking TONS of water as that will help you stay hydrated and keep your milk supply up.  I also nursed my son before and after I worked out to keep my supply up.  Also - make sure your eating enough.  

All this. I didn't have to worry too much about eating enough because I was ravenous all the time at first. But I also drank a ton of water all the time and wore nursing pads when running. 

June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Perhaps this is a silly question, but does your chest feel a lot different when breastfeeding? Will movement from exercise hurt? Or will it be fine? 
  • I worked out a lot while breastfeeding my first and now with this baby.  I do have to wear two sports bras when I run, otherwise I feel very unsupported.  I time my workouts around nursing or pumping for extra comfort.  They do make nursing sports bras but none that I've tried as very supportive.  I've never leaked while running but that may be because I usually pump or nurse right before I go.  There were several times, especially in the first month or so, where I'd get home from a run and immediately have to take off both of my sports bras and feed a crying baby even though I was all sweaty. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks ladies! 
  • You may end up needing a larger size or a more supportive sports bra in the beginning as your boobs will feel heavier from the milk.  I did not have any trouble with leaking while running, but you can always wear the pads in your bra if you do.  GL!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"