Pregnant after 35

Struggling with sleep...

So lately I've been finding myself falling asleep at my desk at work.  I know, I know - it's horrible!  I feel so bad, but I can't seem to help it if I am not up and moving about some days.  I know what the problem is but there really isn't anything I can do to change it at this point.  I have to get up at 6AM every morning for work, and I go to bed around 11.  This schedule is tough for me as I am a night owl by nature.  Before I was pregnant, I worked this same schedule, and I was tired all the time but not so bad to where I would fall asleep in the middle of the day.  I guess the pregnancy has upped my sleep requirements, because not only do I struggle more with my schedule, but on the weekend days my husband lets me sleep in, I sleep more than I ever did before.  To make things worse, I still occasionally am woken up in the middle of the night by my 2 year old.  It's not every night that it happens, but if she is sick, or has a nightmare, or some developmental thing going on, then she'll wake up and need comforting.  She usually goes right back to sleep - I on the other hand, do not.  She could be back to sleep in 5 minutes and then I'm up for an hour, further cutting into my sleep time.  I just don't know what else I can do.

And to make things worse yet, I am guilty of sometimes using my prescription sleeping meds (Sonata) to help me get to sleep (or back to sleep).  I really try to limit this, and I did use them occasionally with my daughter and she turned out fine, but it was so much easier back then that I didn't need to use them often.  Back then, if I needed extra rest, I could just go into work an hour later.  I never had to get up in the middle of the night to take care of anyone.  I wasn't stressed about things like daycare, toddler fevers, etc.  I've also tried my doctor's suggestion of taking Benadryl, which works some of the time.  I do take the lowest dose of Sonata that is possible, but I still feel so guilty.  At the same time, if I lose too much sleep, then I don't feel like I'm doing myself or the baby any favors.  Not to mention I don't want to be so tired that I fall asleep behind the wheel on the way to work or something.  

Anyways, thanks for listening.  Ugh...I can't wait until this pregnancy is over!

Melissa 

Me - 38 DH - 38 DD - 2 pregnancy

Re: Struggling with sleep...

• I can't sleep either.  I am up with heartburn, numb and painful feet, or going to the bathroom.  Unisom is safe in pregnancy but it does give me a hangover.  I take it sometimes on the weekends when I can sleep all day.  Hang in there.
    BFP on IVF #2 6/29/2012. Beta #1 7/3 = 522; Beta #2 = 1180; Beta #3 = 6491 image BabyFruit Ticker
  • Is there any way to go to sleep earlier?

I've been exhausted this pregnancy, too-- thankfully, I don't have a toddler to also care for at the same time. Two weeks ago, I was nodding off in the middle of Rounds! Not cool. And I have been so tired that sometimes, I'm afraid to sit down to chart because I worry I can't get up again. I nap on days that I don't work, try to sleep in a bit when I don't have to get up for anything-- but I get up at least 1-3 times a night to pee and then can't get back to sleep for a long time.

If it weren't for my naps, I think I would be a danger to myself and others!

Hang in there. Maybe there's some other options your doctor can give you to take to help you sleep without the guilt of your regular go-to med?

*********************************************************************************************

"You have to do your own growing no matter how tall your grandfather was." 
            -- Abraham Lincoln

Me:39  MH:39 
    DD born 6/1/2013 after 15 months of TTC with one loss.    
    TTC #2: BFP 4/22 but stalled growth and no HB at 9w3d on 5/30        

<a href="http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/3a2798" style="font-size:smaller;" >
    <br /> My Ovulation Chart</a>

• Loading the player...
  • I 2nd trying to get to bed earlier...I know it feels like you don't have a life when you do that but maybe at least evety other night go to bed early?

I have to say, I'm only 10 weeks in and this pregnancy does seem a tougher than my last and I think having a toddler has a lot to with that. 

Hang in there.  

Me: 38, PCOS/ DH: 37

DD born 12.21.09, conceived w/ injects and IUI

TTC#2 since Nov 2011

BFP 2.6.12 m/c 6w5d | BFP 5.25.12 c/p

-Back to the RE-

3 medicated IUIs, all BFN

-Taking a break from treatment-

BFP 11.20.12 ~ EDD 7.28.13

image image

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

My Chart
  • imagedanieleandwayne:

Is there any way to go to sleep earlier?

I've been exhausted this pregnancy, too-- thankfully, I don't have a toddler to also care for at the same time. Two weeks ago, I was nodding off in the middle of Rounds! Not cool. And I have been so tired that sometimes, I'm afraid to sit down to chart because I worry I can't get up again. I nap on days that I don't work, try to sleep in a bit when I don't have to get up for anything-- but I get up at least 1-3 times a night to pee and then can't get back to sleep for a long time.

Hang in there. Maybe there's some other options your doctor can give you to take to help you sleep without the guilt of your regular go-to med?

Well, it's hard for me to go to bed earlier, because between working, running my business, and doing dishes/preparing for the next day, I rarely sit down before 10PM.  Then I need a little bit of time to  wind down, so...it ends up being 11.  It's still earlier than I used to go to bed though.  I did ask my doctor and all she told me was that I could use the Benadryl, which helps sometimes, but often it doesn't.  :(

Thanks ladies for the support!  Good to know I'm not alone...misery does love company eh?  lol.  

Melissa

• imageTeacher Clark:
    imagetechnigirl:
    imagedanieleandwayne:

Is there any way to go to sleep earlier?

Well, it's hard for me to go to bed earlier, because between working, running my business, and doing dishes/preparing for the next day, I rarely sit down before 10PM.  Then I need a little bit of time to  wind down, so...it ends up being 11.  It's still earlier than I used to go to bed though.  I did ask my doctor and all she told me was that I could use the Benadryl, which helps sometimes, but often it doesn't.  :(

Thanks ladies for the support!  Good to know I'm not alone...misery does love company eh?  lol.  

Melissa

Can you do the bare minimum during the week in order to get to bed earlier? Soak the dishes and do them evey other night? Get more things ready for the week during the weekend before?

Sometimes I do skip the dishes, but it still somehow ends up being 10 before I sit down.  A lot of that is because I also run my own business which I only have time to do at night after she goes to bed (around 8PM).  It does help now that she's older and I don't have to get bottles ready for daycare everyday - that was a pain in the a** lol (and it will be again in about 8 months!).  Last night i was able to sit down around 9:40!  And then got to sleep in this morning which was sooo nice (DD decided to sleep until 7:30, yay!).  I guess I will have to try and be more creative in terms of finding ways to save time at night.  Thanks ladies!

• I'm 13 weeks pg with my first baby. I have struggled with sleep my whole life. I work twelve hour shifts during the day. Good thing its only 3 days a week. It's still hard for me to get up at 5:30 every morning. Lately, I've just been forcing myself to go to bed a little earlier each night; and that has helped. I have been exhausted all the time so far. Even when I sleep I'm still really tired. Techngirl Have you tried napping on your lunch break? I do this at work and it helps allot. I just go to my car for my 30 minutes, set my alarm on my phone, then take a 30 min cat nap.
    Forgiveness sets YOU free!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"