Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

After effects of anesthesia

Our 16 month old had his adenoids removed and tubes put in on Friday. Immediately following the surgery is was great, woke up fine, ate and drank a lot. But at night and now that we're home he is extremly clingy and doesnt want to sleep at night. During the day I dont mind the clingy, as I've been home with him and while it's tough to get things done, I know he's probably just a bit out of sorts. But what is concerning me is at night. We follow his same bedtime routine and he goes down easily, but within two hours he is awake and screaming. I give him the normal few minutes to calm himself down, but it doesn't work. When I pick him up and sit in the rocker he is calm in a minute or so, falls back to sleep and as soon as I even stand to put him back in the crib he is screaming again. This goes on all night. He was never like this before and I'm wondering if anyone has had a similar experience and how they dealt with it. He is still on pain meds, high strength motrin, which I am planning on stopping today and trying just plain tylenol as MD said it can be irritating his stomach, but seems to me as if he's almost like scared??
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: After effects of anesthesia

• Options
    DS had a similar experience and the doctor said he still had some drainage from his ears going down his already irritated throat from the surgery. It took about week but he was back to normal again.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker TTC 1 yr, BFP m/c 6weeks IUI #1-8 BFN IVF #1-2 - BFN Laproscopic - clear IVF #3 - BFP!!!!! 12/23 Beta #1-122, 12/29 Beta #2 - 1230, 1/4 Beta #3 8000+
  • Options

Normal. DD1 had skull surgery when she was a baby and coming out of anesthesia and the next few days were hard. I think it's both painful and scary, but kids are pretty resilient and he should feel better soon!

IMO, after surgery, you kind of have to treat them like newborns again. Pick them up and soothe right away, Hold all day and night if that's what they want. He'll go back to normal but he probably needs some extra love right now.

"Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies. God damn it, you've got to be kind." - Kurt Vonnegut
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"