August 2012 Moms
Options

Oh Grandma....

Yesterday at dinner my Grandma, my Mom's mom, asked when we were going to start Mina on solids. We told her we were planning in starting in January if Mina shows more of an interest.

She then proceeded to go on a very long rant about solids and breast milk and it just got kind of confusing. In the end I learned two things...
1. She started my Mom on solids at TWO WEEKS. I realize it was 1961 but seriously???

And because my grandmother is a woman of extremes...
2. She exclusively BFed her youngest, Emily, until Emily was 13 months old. No solids, just milk. This would have been in 1975.

I'm all for BFing but it seems weird to not introduce any solids until then.

Thoughts?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Oh Grandma....

• Options
    My mother claims she cereal fed all of her children at 3 weeks old because thats what her mom did, my grandma. Not by bottle but by spoon. DS isnt even anywhere near interested in being spoon fed so Ill stick to waiting until 6 months.

Being EBF until the age of 13 with no food? That sounds bogus. The child understands what food exactly is and that they depend on it for nutrition by atleast age 6..right? How did that happen without her wanting to eat solids?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I have no idea especially since Emily is the youngest and there were three other kids between her and my Mom. Doctor Grandma is a little crazy...
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    2 week seems crazy! Pedi wants DS to start at 6 months; I can't imagine it during the newborn stage.

• Options
    Jeeze.  It is no wonder so many baby boomers have such health/digestive issues.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Emily 8.8.08
    Madeline 1.2.11
    William 8.5.12
  • Options
    I can't believe she had enough milk to sustain a 13 month old with no additional nutrients from solids! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Once touched by pain, you're not the same But time can heal your heart again So let the clouds that bring you down Just fade away...
  • Options
    I have two friends who have had kids not at all interested in food until after their first birthday, both were EBF. It is a little unusual, but not unheard of.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

This isn't about cereal or bfing, but about how different things were... I was born in the late 70s and my mother went to 44 weeks before she delivered me. 44 weeks! I was due at the end of June and was born at the beginning of August. Whenever she tells the story to people I'm always like "Mom, people are going to think you are crazy."

• Options

These things always make me worry about what my children will think of me.  

"You fed me avocado at 5 months?!  What were you thinking?!"

I feel like what is best for babies changes all the time.  

Someday our only defense will be, "Well, they survived." 

• Options
    imageHeartsOnABand:
    My mother claims she cereal fed all of her children at 3 weeks old because thats what her mom did, my grandma. Not by bottle but by spoon. DS isnt even anywhere near interested in being spoon fed so Ill stick to waiting until 6 months.

Being EBF until the age of 13 with no food? That sounds bogus. The child understands what food exactly is and that they depend on it for nutrition by atleast age 6..right? How did that happen without her wanting to eat solids?

LMAO wow I read the original post wrong. I thought it said 13 years old! Now thats why I thought that was so bogus. Still crazy to not introduce any solids by 13 months though.
  • Options
    imageLiliDragon:
    My thoughts are this is another case of "mommy amnesia." Like my MIL who insists her kids STTN as soon as they came home from the hospital, or my own grandmother who thinks my dad was potty trained at 6 months. I think people just forget, really.

i totally agree with this. when i was pregnant, mil went on and on about how i was going to deliver early because dh was early. on and on she went. she then gave us dh's baby book that clearly stated he was a week late. i delighted in reading that part to her.

so, LD, which side was your Grandma telling you to follow? I'm curious.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"