Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

still not walking...

my almost 15 month old daughter isn't walking yet, and doesn't seem to be close.  She cruises while holding furniture, and stands while holding onto something but rarely stands on her own.  She is a very fast crawler and I know the range is 9-18 months, but I haven't met any other babies her age who still don't walk/stand (i know, i know, i shouldn't compare!) i don't want to rush her if she isn't ready, but any tips for encouraging her to walk? She already has a couple push toys that she pushes occasionally but isn't that interested in. Thanks! :)

Re: still not walking...

• Options
    I know of a baby who didn't walk until about 18months. Cruising is close. :) Don't worry, she'll get it.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

My 13 mo old isn't walking or talking. Hard not to compare, the other 4 babies at my work have been doing this for months now...hang in there!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    my lo turned 15 months on the 23rd and just this week she started taking steps on her own. a week or so ago, we didnt think she would be walking soon, at all. but now, i know it will be any day. last night she took 8 steps from the couch to me, and all day today she has tried to take more steps on her own. i really think they just do it when they are ready! i was worried too, and now im like, WHY WAS I WORRIED?? :-)
  • Options
    I was the same way worry even though I had already spoken to the pediatrician and he said to wait until 18 months. Finally at 16 months he started to take a few steps and now at 17 months he's walking on his own.
  • Options
    DD1 didn't walk until she was around 19-20 months, she cruised forever!!  DD2 is 14 months and isn't "walking", she cruises and will stand up on her own and has occasionally taken a few steps, but usually ends up crawling.  It is hard not to compare, but she will get it!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFetus Ticker
    Anniversary
  • Options
    DD didn't walk until 15 months.  DS walked at 11 months.  All. Children. Are. Different.  Don't give yourself unnecessary stress.  There will be plenty of stress to be had in the later years.  Wink
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    You know the range.  So, you know your LO is fine.  She'll walk.
    Born at 31w3d due to severe IUGR & Placental Insufficiency--2lbs 3ounces

We'll miss you sweet Debbie Girl (4.21.12) and sweet Cindy Girl (8.9.12)
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• Options
    DS didn't walk on his own until 21 months.  I know how frustrating it can be to watch other kids take off, but each kid in on his or her own schedule.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    DH and I would sit a few feet apart on the floor and set her up and that's how she started taking steps.  After a few days of that she was a pro and walking all over, but she didn't like to crawl she preferred to cruise the furniture so I wasn't surprised.
  • Options
    My brother in law didn't walk until 18 months. I can imagine it would be hard to feel on the far end of the normal range but like you said, it's normal. 
  • Options

Thank you everyone for the encouragement! It's nice to hear of some other LOs who are also on the later end of the walking spectrum :) Happy 2013 to everyone

• Options
    OP, don't worry. As you know, the average is anywhere between 9 and 18 months, so you've still got plenty of time. My 17-month old is finally taking steps. It's only one or two at a time, so I doubt she'll actually be walking for another month, but still. They're steps.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersimage
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    Farewell, nesticle, you will be missed
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

My daughter is going to be 18 months in a few days and JUST started taking steps on her own. She cruised on furniture and walked on her knees FOREVER, since about 12 months. I definitely know how you feel!

I wasnt overly worried, but our families were concerned and pushed us to go to the physical therapist. The physical therapist told us that we really didnt have anything to worry about if our daughter had gone through all of the steps to walking- like sitting up, crawling, cruising. She said if she was able to do all of those things, that most likely nothing was wrong with her physically, it was just a matter of her not being ready to walk on her own.

She gave us some tips that I think helped a bit. She told us not to scatter all of our daughter's toys on the floor where she had easy access. She suggested putting toys on tables and places where she was forced to stand up and walk around to get them, instead of being able to easily sit on the floor and play. She also recommended getting letter magnets for the fridge which also encourages standing- and moving some letters just out of her reach to encourage her to be steady on her feet. She also told us to encourage walking during transition times. For instance, when it is dinner time, she suggested me or my husband walking our daughter into the kitchen for dinner. Or walking her into her bedroom for bedtime.

Good luck, and dont worry! 

IAmPregnant Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"