Toddlers: 24 Months+

Using reins on my twins

My twins have just started to run off when out shopping in the city centre yesterday they thought it was funny to run off in different directions. I tried holding hands but they kept pulling away. So I went into boots and purchased 2 sets of reins. For the first hour they kept swinging and trying to sit down but when they relised that I wasn't moving until they walked and that I wasn't taking them of they decided to give in and walk around the shops. Am I being unreasonable using reins as I hadn't used reins on them before?

Re: Using reins on my twins

• I have never heard the word 'reins' used for this before so that made me smile, esp at the holiday time of year, haha! (most ppl use harness or "leash"). I personally had the animal backpack kind for my kids & my kids loved wearing the backpack. DS in particular did not love when I used the leash but in certain situations (crowds, running away from me at the zoo, etc) I didn't care, I used it. I would not feel badly at all about it, and I think the majority of parents on here would agree- having 2 small toddlers running in opposite directions in public & near streets is no fun so you need to keep them safe!

Eta. I was thinking you posted this on the multiples board when I responded that many moms on here would agree (I also have twins)...having two early walkers/toddlers out in public when you're alone is a lot different than one, you might want to ask on that board for additional opinions.

• I generally hate baby leashes.  For all sorts of reasons.  But they are a tool to be used when appropriate and when other tools/discipline won't cut it, and since you're the mommy, you get to determine if it's appropriate.  Go with your instincts.  It's not like you have to use them all the time if you don't want to.
    IMG_8355
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I want to slap mothers who use baby leashes like dog leashes and try to pull their kids after them... you don't sound like that kind of person, however. If that's what you need to do to keep them safe and you use them as a tool to teach rather than a tool to drag I think it's fine!
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers

• I only have issues with them when used inappropriately, in the same way I have issues with strollers used inappropriately.

Do what feels right to you, to keep your kids safe and your sanity intact.

I can't imagine the stress of having twins bolting in different directions. 

Elizabeth 5yrs old Jane 3yrs old

• I don't have a problem with them. However, I have seen a child on one that was on all fours, barking, which of course I thought was hilarious. The kid was probably four or five, and obviously very precocious. I like to use the threat of violence to keep DD1 near me, but that rarely works, so I just keep her in a stroller while in crowded places. Do what works and keeps them safe.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have had to use them in the past. My rule is hold my hand or you go in a shopping cart/stroller/ picked up. Whatever takes the freedom away. 

They cry pull away throw a fit the first few times but got it ....if they want the privilege to walk then they stay next to or hold my hand. When one runs off pick one up run after the other and discipline (consequences was now they are not walking).

The park is still very hard because they go opposite directions but I just try to lead one to the other (want to go down the slide with sister) or stand at a mid point between both and don't go to huge parks.   

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I loved my monkey back pack..I'm sure some mothers wanted to slap me! Surprise

I've never used mine to drag my kiddo around, but I hate strollers so I always opted for wearing and leashes.  I used mine mostly for travel. 

I say stick with it if you want to try it out and see if it works...

Good luck

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  •     I used my animal backpack with dd today in an aquarium.  2 moms stopped me telling me they used them and loved them.  It definitely gets you noticed when you use it but I believe in using them.  Here's why.

I lived in NYC when my son was a toddler.  He was very good about holding my hand when we walked - but he was still a toddler.  One day, I had bags on my stroller and I tripped and looked down for a split second to grab everything.  My son took off.  I chased after him but he was too far gone (they run fast!).  He was at the street corner in a heartbeat.  I was screaming "stop" to no avail.  A very nice woman grabbed my son and stopped him from running into the street.  For all those who say they aren't necessary and you should be a vigilent mom- let me tell you - I'm vigilent- I'm cautious- things still happen.  It only took a split second for my son to be out of reach.  I bought the backpack/leash the next day and use it proudly.  The alternative is too heart wrenching to think about.

3 IUI's and 2 IVF's later- Brady arrived. Born at 36 weeks after PUPPS and pre-e/HELLP.
    IUI- BFN IVF #1 -BFP! Allie is our 2nd IVF baby. Born at 36 1/2 weeks after pre-e again
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"