C-sections

Tubes Tied After C-Section Delivery?

I am considering having my tubes tied after my upcoming RCS delivery in June. Has anyone done this/researched it?  It seems like the most convenient time since I will already be in surgery.  I just want to know the pros and cons before making an ultimate decision (and yes, we are both equally absolute in the fact we do not want additional pregnancies after this).  Thank you for your thoughts/experiences!

Re: Tubes Tied After C-Section Delivery?

• I have not researched this, but it seems like a logical thing to me. You'll already be in surgery, you'll already be cut open, so might as well get it done at the same time so you only have to recovery from a surgery once!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • This is my plan if we have another baby. Its from what I read the best time to have it done. I am curious to see if anyone who has done this posts! I would like to know if the recovery is the same.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Great question.  I am also curious.  We were planning on having my husband get snipped but my mom made the point that I would already be open so it would make more sense to have my tubes tied.  I am going to ask my doctor about it at my next appointment.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • With our next baby if I have to have another c-section I will have them tie my tubes then. It makes sense to do it while you are already open. Why go under the knife again when you can do it all in one?

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I had my tubes tied after my daughter was born. I had a vaginal delivery with my son so I don't have anything to compare the recovery to. I'm glad I had it done since I was already opened up and we were 100% sure we were done having babies. If you want to do it, talk to your dr soon. I had to sign paperwork a certain number of days prior to the surgery (don't remember how many). Good luck with whatever you choose. 
    BFP #1 6/21/08 natural m/c 7/4/08 BFP #2 10/3/08 blighted ovum discovered 11/5/08 D&C 11/13/08 dx with hetero MTHFR 1/7/09 BFP #3 7/1/09 DS born 3/7/10 BFP #4 1/27/10 DD born 9/4/11 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I had a tubal with c-section #4. It was my easiest surgery and EASIEST recovery out of all 4. I'm not having any more c-sections (I thought 4 was pushing it) and so I'm done!

The only bad thing I hear is that you will have a heavier period, but since I'm EBF, I don't have my period back yet.

GL! 

image Mommy to Barbara 11/8/05, Elisabeth 5/13/07, Loukas 12/23/08 and Lazarus 09/25/12
  • My soon to be mother-in-law had this done after she had my fiance, she knew for sure she was done having kids. She said the recovery wasn't bad at all, the regular time it takes to recover from the c-section. I also am thinking of doing it, however, I'm not positive we are done having kids. We just don't want another one for a while. I am pregnant with my second boy and I think I would still want to try for a girl, but I agree you might as well get it done while you're already in surgery and you are both positive you don't want anymore kids :)

• I just had this done with my third section 2 1/2 weeks ago.  I haven't noticed any difference in recovery from the other two at all.  My OB said you could have heavier/more painful periods if you're used to being on birth control that would help control that, but I wasn't on anything for about 2 years before this last pregnancy so I suspect mine will be no different when it comes back.
  • I had it done after my 2nd c/s. Overall the recovery was quicker than with my 1st, but I can't say if it would have been different had I not had the tubal. I did have a bit of pain on one side near where my ovaries are which was probably b/c of the tubal. It was off and on for about 8 weeks, and it cwasn't unbearable or anything.

My periods have been heavier since the tubal (MUCH heavier than before I went on the pill years ago, so I know it isn't b/c I'm not on the pill). I also have more cramps than I had before. 

But, overall I don't regret it. We chose to do this b/c I was having a c/s and they would be in there anyway, and we also read that vasectomies can reverse themselves and may be linked to prostate cancer.  

• We are TTC #3.  I'd get my tubes tied during the c-section.  DH has never wanted to get a vasectomy and I've known that since we were dating.  It would be a simple decision to make since I'm having surgery anyways.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • No experience with it, but OB did ask us if we wanted it done at our pre-sx exam. If I was 100% sure we were done, I'd do it in a heartbeat. It would save having a 2nd surgery down the road.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I had it done with my RCS 2 months ago. My recovery this time around was much easier - but I was better prepared for the surgery overall I think. Didn't have any additional pain due to the tubal that I noticed, but did seem to bleed longer (around 5-6 weeks). No periods yet as I'm breastfeeding.

My doctor and I discussed it over several office visits - I'm 37 and after a couple of miscarriages & 2 kids felt it was time to close up shop. But i did have to sign something in her office and then she had me verbally reaffirm to her my desire for tubal before she started the c-section.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'm not sure on the recovery time, but my OB doesn't suggest getting a tubal until the 1 year mark.  He says so many things happen during that year (people change their minds, SIDS happens etc) and then if you loose your baby in that year than you still have that choice to have another one.  Hubby and I are done after 4 and even if I have another c/s we won't get our tubes tied until babies 1st birthday.  
    Pregnancy Ticker image image image
  • It is extremely common place to have a tubal while having csection.  It's recommended if you don't want further pregnancies.  It takes only a few extra minutes.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"