Parenting after 35

Anyone NOT do genetic testing/screenings

New here this time around...  Seems like so many older moms do the testing. I didn't and was fine with that, but now I'm second guessing even though my husband and I agreed we wouldn't do it. I'll be 37 in Jan and this 2nd baby is due end of June/early July.  Give me some happy thoughts! :)

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Re: Anyone NOT do genetic testing/screenings

• I'm assuming that you either have had or will have the 18 weekish anatomy scan and at that ultrasound they look at everything to see if there are any issues so you will have at least some kind of screening.  I've always chosen to do the nuchal scan and blood work but since the results always came back fairly good I never had a need to proceed further to CVS or an amnio.  For me, I would rather know ahead of time if something were wrong so I could prepare and so that something could be done if there was anything that could be done to help the baby and/or me.

In the end, it really doesn't matter what anyone else does, as long as you make the choice you're most comfortable with.  Congrats on having your second.

Kelly, Mom to Christopher Shannon 9.27.06, Catherine Quinn 2.24.09, Trey Barton lost on 12.28.09, Therese Barton lost on 6.10.10, Joseph Sullivan 7.23.11, and our latest, Victoria Maren 11.15.12

Secondary infertility success with IVF, then two losses, one at 14 weeks and one at 10 weeks, then success with IUI and then just pure, crazy luck.  Expecting our fifth in May as the result of a FET.

This Cluttered Life

• There's definitely no right or wrong answer to this, it's what you are most comfortable with.

What are you having reservations about? Is it that you'd want to do research and be prepared if there is an issue? Is it that you'd like to have your mind put at ease (assuming all was fine with a scan)?

Do You mean you don't plan to do any scans? Or just the Nuchal/12 week one? 

Good luck with your decision. 

Elizabeth 5yrs old Jane 3yrs old

• Loading the player...
  • I had DS at 34 and I did not do genetic testing. Never had any second thoughts either.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic image

• We didn't do any genetic testing... Quite simply, the reason is because of just how inaccurate it can be. When I was in Human Heredity in college the professor gave us a mapping project and told us there were only three possibilities (and told us which 3)...  In the entire class of 30+ students, only three got the answer right.  The professor then went on to state that it was important to remember this should any of us ever consider it when PG because computers aren't any more accurate either.  The main reason we didn't was because there are not only FAR too many "False positives", but there's nothing different that would/could be done if we found out one way or the other. 

As others have said though, there isn't a right/wrong answer, you just have to decide for yourself what you want to do or not do...

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks for the comments.  I think. My pregnant brain is just getting the better of me. I didn't want to stress the mess out of myself if I got a bad result even if it could be false. And I didn't want to do the amino to check the results. I just need to stop reading stuff on the Internet!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • We decided not to do any kind of screenings or testing because ultimately it would not influence our decision to keep our baby. At this point, I can relax and enjoy the next seven months, and I know that of a situation arises, I can deal with it when it comes, rather than freaking myself out in the meantime. It's a very personal choice that is different for everyone. Rest easy. You made a fine choice. :
    photo fb29a895-732c-493b-b5f1-15ac16bff5b5_zps53c7f13d.jpg BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • imageKL777:
    I had DS at 34 and I did not do genetic testing. Never had any second thoughts either.

Yep.  Except I was 36 when DS was born.  I knew that I didn't want to deal with the risks involved and I also knew that the non-diagnostic tests would just stress me out.  I even asked not to be told if there were any soft markers at the anatomy scan because they often resolve with no issues and mean nothing.  This is what I was comfortable with. 

Lilypie - (vGZN)

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    BFP2: 10/27/13(edd 7/10/14) "Speck" ~ M/C 12/5/13
  • I was 37 when my DD was born. We didn't do the testing. I worried about not doing it but knew that if we had it would have been more stressful. Good luck !
  • imageKL777:
    I had DS at 34 and I did not do genetic testing. Never had any second thoughts either.

This. 

However, during one of the blood draws they tested for some genetic stuff but it was not an additional test like the NT Scan or the CVS.  Turns our I am a carrier for CF.  Luckily after a week of waiting for results DH is not.  Plus everything looked good at the dating u/s I had at 11 weeks and the anatomy scan at 18 weeks.

I will do genetic testing once we conceive #2 if my OB recommends it.

imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I did the first trimester screening the first time around because I was 35 and the doctors made it seem mandatory.  If I were to get pregnant again now at 36 I don't think I would do it again.  My insurance didn't cover it so it was like $400 out-of-pocket and I wouldn't have changed my mind about delivering anyway no matter what the results were.  Go with your gut. :)
  • I'm not! I asked what the purpose would be, if there would be any care available due to screening. My OB said no, it was basically in case some issue would be a "deal breaker" i.e. abortion or we wanted to "prepare ourselves."

The way I figure it, I'd rather spend my pregnancy in ignorant bliss instead of fear dread then deal w/ whatever issues there may be once I see that cherub's face am in love already! :

Btw, I'm new here, just turned 35 last month, have a 3yo boy, a 2yo boy, am expecting baby 3 in June! Hearing the term "advanced maternal age" this time around was a little intimidating, but so far, so good!
  • imageJulieturner507:
    We decided not to do any kind of screenings or testing because ultimately it would not influence our decision to keep our baby. At this point, I can relax and enjoy the next seven months, and I know that of a situation arises, I can deal with it when it comes, rather than freaking myself out in the meantime. It's a very personal choice that is different for everyone. Rest easy. You made a fine choice. :

This.

I told the nurse that I would obviously do the state required blood tests, but am opting out of all optional screenings. She asked why, and I said it wouldn't change my mind about the baby. We went through four IUI cycles on top of the three years prior of fertility tests and failed cycles naturally and with Clomid. If my baby has something that needs further attention and care, it will be provided and I'd rather relax and enjoy the next seven months of my first and possibly only pregnancy without worries of false positives and amniocentesis.
  • I was 38 when I got pregnant and I decided not to do any invasive testing (amnio, CVS). I had the ultrasound NT scan and bloodwork done at 12 weeks and luckily those came out normal, so I didn't worry about it anymore. Had those tests shown anything strange, I might have had the amnio done. But my reasoning at the time was that if there was something wrong with the baby at 20 weeks (when the amnios are done), I wouldn't terminate anyway, so what was the point of having the test. Now I'm 42 so I don't know what I would do if I got pregnant again. It takes me so long to get pregnant that I wouldn't want to risk miscarriage with the CVS and amnio.
    Me: 44 DH: 42. DS born healthy at 40 weeks 8/24/09. TTC since then with no luck or ART. Surprise BFP 8/6/14... MMC @ 8 weeks 4 days... Miss you everyday sweet baby angel.
  • I am 40 and on just had my 2nd son, he is fine. Doctor told me that since I was over 35 (no matter what) it would come back that there was something wrong with the baby. So I just kept living my life the way i wanted the glass of wine, whatever food I wanted, soda's and I did cut back on cigerattes from a pack a day to 4 or 5 a day. I ate what ever I wanted and he was perfectly healthy just like my 1st son that I had at 37 and did the exact same thing. I think if something is going to be wrong, its just going to be wrong, and if its gonna be fine then it will be.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"