Infertility
Options

How did you tell your families you were doing IVF?

I'm just wondering how everyone told their parents, our siblings know already, my mom knows we went to an RE a few years ago, but our dads both do not know anything about the situation.  I'm having a hard time thinking of how to start the conversation with my father.  We are really close (talk daily) and I think he'll be upset I didn't tell him sooner.  I know he'll be supportive, it's just getting over the initial uncomfortableness of the situation.  Plus, he's a worrier and I'm sure he'll be really involved so I'll be trying to just tell him general stuff, I just don't know how to start the conversation.  "Yep dad, we're having a great day, oh yeah, I'm infertile". 
Me (37) DH (39); PCOS changed to Unexplained, changed to DOR in 2012 (finally a correct diagnosis!); 
Started TTC 2009 with RE after 6 months.  
Clomid + Trigger x2; 
IUI + Femara x1,
IUI + Follistim x2;
IVF #1 (MDL) February 2013- BFN.
IVF #2 (antagonist) May 2013, First BFP of my life. 
Identical twin miracle BOYS (!!) headed our way- due date is technically 2/4/14 but c section is scheduled for 1/7! 

BabyFetus Ticker image

Re: How did you tell your families you were doing IVF?

• Options
    We had not told our families that we were TTC at all, so we kind of came clean about everything at once, but we didn't tell them until we were starting IVF.  When we first started TTC, we felt like we would rather surprise them with a pregnancy announcement, but of course at the time we didn't think it would take us so long to get me pregnant. By the time we were moving on to IVF, it had been 16 months of trying and I knew I was going to be going through a lot physically, so we felt like they should know what was going on. We kind of framed it in a "we need your support" kind of way.  It was an awkward conversation for sure, but I am glad we told them.
    Married my wife 8/2007 ~ TTC #1 since 7/2011
    9 IUIs = 9 BFNs
    IVF October 2012: 22 eggs retrieved, 17 fertilized, 5 frozen
    ET #1: 1 blast = BFP; Blighted ovum discovered at 7w5d; D&E
    FET #1: 1 blast = BFP; Missed m/c discovered at 9w5d; D&E
    Karyotyping: normal ~ RPL Testing: normal ~ Hysteroscopy: normal
    FET #2: 1 blast transferred 10/25; BFP 10/31!
    EDD 7/13/14 ~ Induced at 37w4d due to pre-eclampsia ~ Born on 6/28/14
    *Everyone welcome*

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I did not tell my parents that we were trying because I was nervous that they would think that we didn't have enough money or we should lose weight or something.  That was 5 years (and many diets) ago.  So I told my mom about the reproductive endochronologist and she was surprised because she thought that we just didn't want kids.  But she has been super supportive.  Then I told my dad who was also supportive but nervous that we would not all be going on any more vacations.  He though has been crazy supportive, hangs out with me for that 2.5 hour blood sucrose test, gives me shots when dh is not around, etc.  I did try to explain it to my great uncle who cracks me up, everytime I call him he asks if I am pregnant yet because he can't wait.  And he tries to find shows on tv about it.  My in laws were pretty easy because my sil did ivf like 10 years ago, so to them it is just another one.  But my parents are crazy.  My dad is walking around like a medical expert explaining to my mom how first they were follicles, then eggs, then they got fertilized.... he is amazing. When I had 8 eggs fertilized my mom was trying to figure out if she would be able to carry one for me and then we could have twins!   And she comes over everyday to talk to them during this 2ww and try to encourage and bribe them to hang in there.  So I am glad that I told everyone because it is just more fun to share the excitement. And it is funny that they keep telling me that if it doesn't work this time its ok - WE can try again.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    That's awesome, thanks for sharing with me guys.  I feel like my dad would be the exact same way, explaining everything to my mom, looking up things, etc.. he's 66 and loves google. :)  Because my parents had such a hard time (mom had 10 miscarriages, I was her only live birth) I just don't want them to have to relive any pain they went through.  I'm working with an IF counselor and really trying to remember its my turn to get the support and it's ok.  I'm just usually such a "fixer" for everyone and never like to rely on people so it's hard for me to ask for the support. 
    Me (37) DH (39); PCOS changed to Unexplained, changed to DOR in 2012 (finally a correct diagnosis!); 
    Started TTC 2009 with RE after 6 months.  
    Clomid + Trigger x2; 
    IUI + Femara x1,
    IUI + Follistim x2;
    IVF #1 (MDL) February 2013- BFN.
    IVF #2 (antagonist) May 2013, First BFP of my life. 
    Identical twin miracle BOYS (!!) headed our way- due date is technically 2/4/14 but c section is scheduled for 1/7! 

BabyFetus Ticker image
  • Options

We didn't tell anyone until our daughter was past the three months. It was lonely but I was glad we did it not then but now as my sister was mad I didn't tell her sooner about the pregnancy and then when we told her it was a fertility baby 2 years in the making she was mad I didn't tell her that. This time around we are much more open and there is only support from my friend the ministers wife. I wrote my sister an email and tried calling her to tell her but I have yet to hear back its been over a week. I made the right choice the first time around. People just don't know what to say and how to act I find. 

My dad was one of the first. I just said dad we want a baby more then you want one for us but it isn't going to be that easy for us. I never told him who had the issue. I felt that would not be healthy for him to know.  

My friends suspected we were having trouble (no where near how bad it was) so I was always the last to find out about their pregnancies.  

I hope your experience is better. Most of our family still doesn't know. They just aren't mature enough to handle it. 

Good luck 

• Options
    imageGap7:

We didn't tell anyone until our daughter was past the three months. It was lonely but I was glad we did it not then but now as my sister was mad I didn't tell her sooner about the pregnancy and then when we told her it was a fertility baby 2 years in the making she was mad I didn't tell her that. This time around we are much more open and there is only support from my friend the ministers wife. I wrote my sister an email and tried calling her to tell her but I have yet to hear back its been over a week. I made the right choice the first time around. People just don't know what to say and how to act I find. 

My dad was one of the first. I just said dad we want a baby more then you want one for us but it isn't going to be that easy for us. I never told him who had the issue. I felt that would not be healthy for him to know.  

My friends suspected we were having trouble (no where near how bad it was) so I was always the last to find out about their pregnancies.  

*******I hope your experience is better. Most of our family still doesn't know. They just aren't mature enough to handle it. ********

Good luck 

This exactally. just our parents were supposed to now. Dh let his brother know, and now the entire side of MILs family knows and i'm livid about it.  

TTC since early 2011
  • Options

We didn't let our families know we were TTC until DH's S/A came back zero, then I couldnt handle it without their support. We told them at a family get together the day after xmas (Basically the past two holiday seasons have been HORRIBLE). DH wasnt there, so I just spoke quietly with my aunts about what happened and what our next steps were.

I told my mom the day after we found out about the azoo over dinner, my dad was deployed (in the military) so my mom just told him the next time she spoke with him. (He was and is still skeezed about the whole thing b/c that means his baby girl had a shitton of sex before getting to this point...lol)

Good luck! letting my family know has been the most freeing and supportive idea I have made.

Lilypie - (5WpR)
    Me(26)PCOS, Hypothyroidism & Incompetent Cervix  DH(28)Azoospermia
    4/11 Off BCPs -- Cycle 1-3 (6months) - No ovulation, Provera
    Cycle 4-6 - Provera, Clomid 50mg, CD23BW - All BFN (HSG-all clear)
    Dec 2011 DH S/A shows zero count - dx Azoo
    TESE 4/13/12 - Sperm found!! 5 viles frozen
    IVF ICSI #1- (Lupron protocol) 5R 2F 2dt- 2DP & 4CF - BFFN
    IVF ICSI #2-  (Antagonist protocol) Started stims 7/26
    ER 8/8 11R 9F 3dt - 9BF & 7BF (+HPT 8dp3dt)TWINS! EDD 5/1/13
    <312/9 Joshua David and Zoe Faith born too early at 19w4d due to incompetent cervix <3
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
      LAP Transabdominal Cerclage - 4/15/13 only possibility of carrying my children to term 
    IVF#3 - June 2013 -  canceled.
    IVF ICSI #3.2- (Antagonist Protocol) 7/26 start stims (same day, a year later from J & Z's stim start date!)
     ER 8/7 19R 9F 3dt of 2- 8BF embryos. (+HPT 7dp3dt) Beta #1 - 82.8 Beta #2 - 821 Beta #3 - 7254
    9/11/13 - U/S shows 1 baby HR 135bpm! EDD: 4/30/13
    It's a BOY!!
    2/9/14 - DX Gestational Diabetes
    C-section scheduled for 4/7/14 (36w5d)
    Colin Joseph - 1:07pm 6lbs 14oz - 8 days in the NICU
    Everyone Welcome!
  • Options
    My mom and Dad have known from the very beginning.  They are extremely supportive of us and will do whatever it takes to support us.  We did not tell my DH's parents until a few days before our first IF procedure.  After our failed IVF this summer we have been much more open.  My grandparents and some extended family members and friends have asked us if we were OK, etc. Those who genuinely seemed concerned, now know and we are grateful because that means more people to pray for our IF journey and future miracle.  There have been a few (2-3) that we have regretted telling due to immediate suggestions of adoption or unsaid judgement of IVF, but we are glad to be slowly coming out of the IF closet.  It is just too hard to walk it alone in my opinion!  I have also found out of people's struggles with IF themselves...would have never known if I didn't open up first!  It's nothing to be ashamed of.   Hope this helps! Smile
    Me:28, DH:30 Married: 07/07/07 TTC Since: March 2011 MFI Me: Possible PAI-1
    April 2012:Varicocele embolization
    IVF #1 July 2012: BFN :( DH- Femara 90 days 
    12/10/2012 Femara helped!
    IVF# 2: Jan 2013 BFP, M/C 6weeks0days
    5 frosties. 
    IVF #3 FET April 2013 BFP, M/C 7 weeks 0 days. 
    3 frosties
  • Options

I didn't not tell them anything.  I mentioned to my grandma we were trying and she said "OH NO!"  That was after IVF fail #1.  Turns out she feels 35 is way to old and I'll have nothing but problems.  So I don't talk about it at all to my family.

DH told his whole family.  They are very supportive. He has never hid how badly he wants a family.  So they were all surprised we weren't pregnant right away. Though they will hint we are wasting our money occasionally.

Honestly I get most of my support here.  I don't have to hide things.  :)

Good luck to you!

36 DH 33 TTC for over 3 years
    First mini-IVF Sept 2011... Only 1 egg! ... BFN
    Switching RE
    IVF#2 May 2012 9 eggs and only 2 sperm, WTH!
    BFN
    IVF #3 March 2013~Tesa with back-up Donor Sperm,Tesa, unsuccessful used DS~ Chemical :(   

Switching RE's within practice

2 frosties waiting for us, November 2013!!!!!   Transferred 2 "average" blasts 11/20/2013
    BFP!!!!!!!  Boy/Girl Twins!!!!!! Due 08/08/2014

My Blog

*~God gives his hardest battles to his toughest solders. Unknown.
  • Options
    I told my parents about everything before my first laproscopy. It was really nice to have the support, especially from my mother who is a nurse. She helped to take care of me a couple of days after the lap and changed my bandages and all of that. After my first lap, when we were told about all of the issues I had going on because of the endo, we told my parents about going through with IVF # 1. We did not walk them through every single step, but updated them here and there. When IVF # 1 was a fail, we told them about our chemical pregnancy and then decided from here on out we wouldn't tell anyone what was going on anymore. Everyone was supportive but I just felt a lot of pressure.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    In all honesty, we just came out and told them. When we were TTC, we didn't tell anyone until I got pregnant, then I miscarried and they kind of knew we were trying again. So after some time we just told them we were having some difficulties and we needed help. From there on we kept them updated. But this next FET, we aren't telling anyone we are doing this. Our reasons for not telling them are because of the past losses.
  • Options

My mother just kind of assumed that we were continuing to TTC after our loss. She questions absolutely everything and I have to explain everything a million times to her and she still doesn't get it. I almost wish I hadn't told her, but I needed support at the time. Now that she understands the procedure to some extent (after explaining it to her countless times) she doen't understand why we haven't done it yet. She understands the financial aspect of waiting, but she just doesn't understand why we don't just *fix* DHs sperm so that we can do it immediately.

DHs family doesn't know, nor will they ever. There are way too many messed up ideas in that family for us to share that with them.

image imageimage

***EVERYONE WELCOME***
    TTC #2 with assistance since 03/11
    Me: 33, Autoimmune (Hashimotos and FMS/CFS)
    Treated with Synthroid, acupuncture, TCM and supplements
    DH: 33, MFI (very low on all counts, high antibodies, hemochromatosis)
    Many treatments tried, none successful

IVF/ICSI #1 05/14 - EPP/Antagonist, Gonal-F and Luveris, 18R, 14M, 13F - SET of 1BC, all arrested on day 5 - C/P
    Genetic testing = normal, DNA Frag = excellent
    IVF #2 03/15 - Long protocol with Suprefact, Gonal-F, and possibly Luveris, adding in PICSI

• Options
    My parents knew when we started TTC and knew when we were gonna start testing for IF.  They've been caught up right along, so telling them we're doing IVF was nothing.
    image"Anniversary"">imageimage
    TTC since Sept. 2011
    DX: MFI
    IUI#1 8/2012: BFN
    IUI#2 9/2012: BFN
    IUI#3 10/2012: BFN
    IVF#1 (2 embryos transferred) 1/2013: BFN
    IVF#2 (2 embryos transferred) 5/2013: BFP!!!  EDD 1/24/14
    Beta 1 (5/17) - 66.8 Beta 2 (5/21) - 341 Beta 3 (5/27) - 2771
    1st u/s 6/7 - measuring right on track at 7 weeks with 144 bpm!
    imageimage
    My Local Nestie Besties: JenniferLuvsCandy, MABride0808, thecuddleeffect, MrsHo1030
  • Options
    We have not told our family anything at all, and don't intend to unless I'm lucky enough to get a nice big pregnancy belly! Our chances of a THB are not good, so I don't want to get their hopes up for a grandchild. They are well aware that we were never on the baby train, so they are not expecting anything from us at this time. When I did get pregnant, and then m/c at almost 8 weeks, it was devastating. We confided in exactly one couple of friends who coincidentally also m/c the week prior. In addition, I don't want people to feel sorry for me, or try to understand what we're going through when they will never have any idea. This is just the best way for US to deal with it. It is different for everyone.

imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage
    My BLOG: www.ivfbabyquest.wordpress.com -Update - old blog.

PAIF/SAIF Welcome!
    Me: 42, Hubby: 35, TTC since Jan 2010. Dx: DOR due to advanced maternal age. Also: Hypothyroidism (100mcg Levothyroxin). Positive for MTHFR (hetero-C677T), Factor V Leiden, and Fragile X (on DH side). Taking pre-natal vitamins
    First natural PG 9/27/11; mc: 1/20/12

First RE visit: 8/8/12, Saline Sonogram: 8/28/12, IVF injection class: 10/11/12, add FaBB Tab for FVL, +Vitamin D.
    IVF #1: 10/17/12 Baseline: FSH- 9.4, E2- 24, LH- 3.7, Prog- 0.3 The u/s showed 6 follicles in my right  & 9 in my left. Rx: 150 Bravelle & 150 Menopur SQ nightly. 10/21/12: Add Ganirelix SQ every morning.
    ER 10/28/12: 13 Retreived. 7 Mature. 6 Fertilized. 5 Made it to PGS. ET 11/2/12: CANCELED. All 5 came back from PGS as having "severe abnormalities."
    IVF #2: 1/7/13 Baseline: FSH- 8.8, 4 follicles in my right & 6 in my left. Rx: 150 Bravelle & 150 Menopur SQ nightly. 1/11/13: Add Ganirelix SQ every morning. hCG Trigger 1/16/13

ER 1/18/13: 9 Retrieved. 5 Mature. 5 Fertilized. 2 Made it to PGS. ET 1/23/13: CANCELED. All embryos (he even sent the ones not growing) came back from PGS as having "multiple severe abnormalities."
    IVF #3:
    NEW RE! 3/1/13 Baseline: FSH- 9.6, E2- 61, Prog- 0.94, 3 follicles in my right & 4 in my left. Rx: 150 Bravelle& 150 Menopur SQ in PM. 3/7/13: Add Ganirelix SQ in AM. hCG Trigger 3/9/13 SQ.
    ER 3/11/13: 6R, 2M, 2F. Day 3: one 8 cell, grade 0.  Five day ET 3/16/13: one early blast, grade Fair. 3/24/13 AF came a day before beta. BFN

IVF #4: 
    (Added acupuncture to this cycle.) 3/25/13 WTF & Baseline: FSH-11.8, E2- 56, Prog- 0.84 3/26/13 Start stims. 3/30/13 u/s: 5 follicles in my right & 4 in my left. Rx: 225 Bravelle& 225 Menopur SQ in PM. 3/31/13 Add Ganirelix SQ in AM.hCG Trigger 4/3/13 SQ.
    ER 4/5/13: 5R, 3M, 3F naturally. Day 3: two 8 cell, grade 0, one 8 cell, grade 2 (Scale 0-best to 3-worst). Five day ET 4/10/13: two blastocysts (the 3rd stopped growing.) Beta 4/18/13: 2.5 BFFN. RE recommends we stop trying and focus on living childless, due to the extremely poor quality of my eggs.
    ***Decided to stop trying and live CFNBC. I couldn't adjust. So, six months later...

IVF #5: Changed RE. Going to one of the big name clinics now. OWDU: 10/29/13. Update: HORRIBLE experience. Disgusted and distraught at their complete unprofessionalism and how much money and precious time they cost us. Sickening. Have now changed RE again. New Patient appt. 1/30/14.
    BFP! Out of nowhere, I got KU the old fashioned way! POAS 1/26/14 - Positive! FDLM 12/30/13. Beta #1 16dpo= 373. Beta #2 18dpo= 801. EDD 10/6/14
    2/4/14 1st U/S revealed a 5wk2day sac but no fetal pole. Started 200mgs of progesterone suppositories daily
    2/11/14 2nd U/S revealed a perfect 6wk1day "diamond ring" embryo with a beating heart! 138bpm! Add 1mg folic acid and 40mg Lovenox
    2/25/14 3rd U/S: perfect 8w1d embryo, 178bpm. 3/6 start spotting. 3/11 10w1d U/S shows no heartbeat. Scheduling D&C. The Stork has forsaken me again.
    IVF #5.2: New in-state RE. Supplement priming for 1.5 cycles prior to start of cycle, including DHEA 50mg (stopped 5/15), CoQ10 200mg 2x/day, L-Arginine- 1000mg 2x/day (stopped 6/5 due to cold sore!), myo-inositol- 2g 2x/day, melatonin- 3mg, and Neevo (prenatal for MTHFR).
    5/16/14 Day 2 bw cycle prior: FSH- 12.22, E2- 38.37, Prog- 1.35, LH- 9.46. 6/2/14 Day 19 bw: Prog- 23
    6/12/14 Baseline: E2- 122.7, Prog- 0.4. 5 follicles in left, 4 follicles in right. Start stims: 375IU Follistim & 150IU Menopur. 6/19 Increase Follistim to 425IU, Menopur still 150IU. 6/18 add Ganirelix. 6/23 Ovidrel trigger SQ. 6/25 ER: 8R, 8M, 5F naturally. Start Medrol & Doxy. 6/26 Start Endometrin. 7/2 Start Lovenox.
    7/8/14 Beta= 137.4 BFP!!! (My first from IVF!) E2- 1109, Prog- >60. Stop CoQ10, myo-inositol, and melatonin. 7/9 2nd Beta= 281.4. TSH- 2.70. Increasing Synthroid to 100mcg daily. 7/24 6w3d u/s measured 6w3d, hb: 121bmp! 8/5 8w1d u/s measured 8w3d, hb: 164bpm! Graduated from RE to OB. Now I just need to find an OB!
    EDD 3/18/15!

• Options

My parents have known this day would come since I was 10 years old due to my endocrine problems. Plus I needed my Mom's advice as a nurse many times so I'd ask her questions when I first started seeing the RE and new Endocrinologist last year. Now its NBD talking about it. Last cycle I called my Mom and said, "Hey I've got my IVF retrieval and DH has to work can you come babysit me?" LOL

My in-laws were a different story. They knew we were "trying" but until we moved in with them while we house hunted they had no idea to what extent. If we weren't filling their refrigerator with a shelf full of IF meds, we probably still would have kept it to ourselves but we had no choice. Basically, we told them we were seeing a doctor and I had to take shots, and left it at that. As time went on, my MIL did (and still occasionally does) ask questions here and there.

Me: 33, Endocrine issues & FVL       DH: 32, Nothing 
    NTNP 2009-2012         TTC since 2012:
    • Clomid, 2 IUI cycles, and 5 IVF cycles = BFN
    • FET #1   August 2013 = BFP!     EDD 5/11/14
    • Jack dx at 19w1d with Dandy Walker on 12/16/13
    • Severe Pre-e /HELLP set in Jack born sleeping at 20w1d on 12/23/13
    • FET #2 --July 2014  BFP!  ---  EDD  4/5/15

Jack has handpicked his sibling up there :)

My blog about IF and loss ... Kate's IF Blog

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"