June 2012 Moms

2 Convertible carseats or 1?

Dh and I are looking at convertible carseats right now. Elliot is still in his infant seat, and we absolutely had to buy a second base for it. Theres a base in each of our cars, and we end up taking a base out to leave with my parents or IL's quite frequently. 

The more I think about it, the more I'm thinking we need to buy two convertible carseats. Since I'm a SAHM, I drive LO in my car all the time, but when we're all together on the weekends or weeknights, we always take DH's car because his gets better gas mileage. So we would end up switching the carseat back and forth all the time I think...

What are you doing? WWYD in this situation? 
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: 2 Convertible carseats or 1?

• Yes, we bought 2 carseats. My husband is going to be doing the dropoff and pickup for daycare, but otherwise she'll really only be driven around by myself in my vehicle. Buying only one seems like a giant pia.

If I were a sahm, I would probably buy two as well. I think I would probably buy a second cheaper one for your husband/grandparents' vehicle.
  • yeah. I really an lusting for the Clek Foonf and was thinking about splurging on it as our main seat, but I would definitely have to find a cheaper option for the second seat. 

what did you guys buy Sam? 
  • Loading the player...
  • We ended up getting Graco My Ride 65. It received good safety ratings, looks pretty comfortable, has nice headrest, and I like the cup holders.

I bought a snugride as my infant carrier. I've been happy with it, and I'm pretty loyal brand consumer. Their products fit us good: Made well, not too fancy, and reasonably priced.

I was tempted to go with a Britax, but my baby is quite long. I hear their shells are shorter than a lot of their competitors.

I googled the seat you mentioned. It looks pretty nice, but very steep in price. Safety obviously comes at whatever cost it is going to cost. I'm glad with my selection, however.

Do you know what you're looking at for a second seat?
  • My top too seats lately have been the Foonf and then Combi Coccoro. I'm hesitant on the Combi because its short, and Elliot is a long baby. What I like about the Foonf is that it rear faces for 45 points and 44 inches. 

I've been meaning to look at the britax seats. I'm like you, that once I love a brand I tend to stick with it, and we LOVE our britax infant seat and stroller. I've heard great things about the boulevard. 

If I can settle on a carseat thats less than $300 then I'll probably buy two of the same one. If I end up splurging on the Foonf then the second seat will have to come in under $200 I think to keep DH from losing his mind. haha
  • We are in the same situation, except DH is the SAHD (we split our leave 6 months each). We just have one but honestly as soon as we can afford it I am going to purchase a second. Already once I commuted half way to work only to realize I had the car seat and DS had a Dr appt and DH couldn't leave the house. And my commute is an 1 and 15 minutes, I had to go back and drop it off.  That alone was enough to solidify the need for 2.  I thought we could get by with 1, just switching it, which in theory would work. But it is a huge PITA and chances are it will get forgotten at some point like what I did.

ETA: Also personally (and I don't know if this is kind of overkill) but I don't trust anyone else to install the carseat (even DH), because i ALWAYS find something wrong with the way its installed.  I spent a long time learning how to do it right and I want it already installed so no one else can screw it up, KWIM? 

• I'm clueless on convertible car seats. Do they snap into a base like the infant ones? If so, we'd probably just do 2 bases & one carseat. If not, then we'll get two carseats. Hopefully DD can stay in her infant seat for several more months though.
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We have used a convertible from the beginning, and it's been installed in my car. We have yet to pick up a second seat for DH's vehicle or family members who might be watching DS, but I am sure we will at some point.
  • I am in the same situation. I'm also a SAHM and we for sure needed 2 bases so we will be investing in 2 convertable carseats. I will probably buy from bbb because they have 20 percent off coupons with barely any restrictions.
  • We currently have two bases one in each of our cars. So we will also do 2 convertible seats as well. In your case, I would get a third cheaper one for the grandparent car.
  • In your case, I would get 2. I also got the Graco My Ride 65. I haven't installed it yet, but it looks very comfy.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • imageGismo123:
    I am in the same situation. I'm also a SAHM and we for sure needed 2 bases so we will be investing in 2 convertable carseats. I will probably buy from bbb because they have 20 percent off coupons with barely any restrictions.

OH Gismo you just reminded me tht they're building a BBB here!! I hope it opens soon so I can go there.
  • We've always had a car seat in each car for the boys. It's just easier. 

We stick with britax for all our car seats except one (grace nacltus which we got for free). I love the britax seats especially the marathon 70s. They are easy to install and to adjust the straps.  

BFP 12/23/07, M/C 1/25/08 Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • We are putting the convertible in my car and switching the infant seat to dh's.  We will use that until she has absolutely outgrown it then we will spring for a second cheap convertible!
    imageimage

TTC #1 since 5/10
    BFP #1 7/22/11 - EDD 4/2/11 - M/C 8/15/11 (7w0d)
    BFP #2 9/23/11 - EDD 6/5/12 ♥It's a Girl♥
    BFP #3 2/20/13 - EDD 11/2/13 ♥It's a Girl♥
  • We have two Britax Blvds. FYI BRU gives a 10 percent multiples discount when you buy two of something big. We saved over 50 bucks.
    MFI and (now) AMA
    IVF 1 April 2011 - Cancelled
    IVF 1.5 July 2011 - MC
    IVF 2 October 2011 - BFP!
    *Identical Twin Boys born June 2012*
    Here we go again...IVF 3 is underway!
  • imagecakpeterson:
    We have two Britax Blvds. FYI BRU gives a 10 percent multiples discount when you buy two of something big. We saved over 50 bucks.

Good to know! Thanks! 
  • imagestepper1725:
    I'm clueless on convertible car seats. Do they snap into a base like the infant ones? If so, we'd probably just do 2 bases & one carseat. If not, then we'll get two carseats. Hopefully DD can stay in her infant seat for several more months though.

Nope. unfortunately they're one big carseat thats attached to its base so you can't move them from base to base. 
  • imageGracieBlue:
    We are putting the convertible in my car and switching the infant seat to dh's.  We will use that until she has absolutely outgrown it then we will spring for a second cheap convertible!

I think this is also what we will do, although I'm doubtful we will even actually buy a second one. DH would HATE having a car seat in his truck all the time. Even as small as the base for the infant seat is, he takes it out whenever he's not using it.

• We have 2 for each kid.  Right now we're using a hand me down infant seat as DS2's extra car seat (it's a graco safeseat and I know the original owners).  DS1 has 2 Graco MyRide65 they're just so bulky it was impossible to have 2 RF in my car so DS2 got a Maxi Cosi Pria 70 and it's so much easier to drive.   

To my boys:  I will love you for you Not for what you have done or what you will become I will love you for you I will give you the love The love that you never knew
  • imageAliciaS1411:
    imagestepper1725:
    I'm clueless on convertible car seats. Do they snap into a base like the infant ones? If so, we'd probably just do 2 bases & one carseat. If not, then we'll get two carseats. Hopefully DD can stay in her infant seat for several more months though.

Nope. unfortunately they're one big carseat thats attached to its base so you can't move them from base to base. 

The Graco SmartSeat https://www.gracobaby.com/Catalog/Pages/ProductListingPage.aspx?catid=10:41||1+10434:4294959413||1

has a base and installs like an infant seat.  You can buy extra bases for extra cars.  I've never used it.   

To my boys:  I will love you for you Not for what you have done or what you will become I will love you for you I will give you the love The love that you never knew
  • I have 3 carseats and Im honestly thinking about getting 4.

so and i both work full time days so my sister who watches james has one

i have one and so does so

I feel that my parents who also watch james quite often need one as well so we dont have to constantly keep switching like we have been! 

Me: 29 | SO: 28
    Started Dating SO: 9/26/2009
    DS Born: 6/02/2012
    Tied the Knot: 11/14/2015
    Trying for Number Two since 9/1/15
    BFP!!! Baby 2 Due: 12/6/21
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"