July 2011 Moms
Options

What was your favorite carrier?

I am not too keen on the idea of double stroller yet (ugh what a pain!)  I never used a carrier with DS though, and I think the only way I will be able to chase after DS when LO comes is a good carrier.

I've heard really great things about Ergo.  You can wear them in the front or the back right?  But there are a couple different Ergos (Sport, Performance, basic...etc) any pros or cons to them?

Or any other carriers you were really impressed with?

Thanks guys!

DS1 8/2011. DS2 8/2013.

Re: What was your favorite carrier?

• Options
    In the newborn stage I really don't think you can beat a Moby.  Its super stretchy and oh so comfy.  Once they get a bit heavier, though, the stretch becomes too much.  At that point I prefer a mei tai or onbuhimu.  Both can be worn on front, back, or hip, but you can do a high back carry once they get older so they can see over your shoulder, which you can't do in an Ergo.  Plus, since you tie the MT and onbu you can really get a customized fit, where the Ergo isn't as adjustable.  There are also several different ways to tie those so you can find what is most comfortable for you (cross body, rucksack, etc).  
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

I had the Ergo and HATED it. I sold it on ebay. I found it took forever to get Dylan into it. Having to place him in the infant insert properly first and then inside the carrier, what a pain. He had colic and the only way to keep him quiet all day was to live inside the carrier. I wish I had of bought the Baby Bjorn which I went into the store to buy but got talked into the Ergo.

anyways, my favourite carrier was a cheap Infantino my sister had given me for DS 1. It broke though :(  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    The Moby was the only thing that got him tight enough to stop flipping out.  But, I loved my Pikkolo (and still do).  We still use it and he is 24 lbs.
    Born at 31w3d due to severe IUGR & Placental Insufficiency--2lbs 3ounces

We'll miss you sweet Debbie Girl (4.21.12) and sweet Cindy Girl (8.9.12)
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• Options

Thank you! 

I've heard good things about the Beco Butterfly and the Mei Teis...so those are on my list to check out as well!

Fogleer, I totally understand about the Moby.  It seems complicated...I have friends that absolutely love them and swear to me its easy. But yes, I think I'd rather deal with snaps/something with more structure instead of wrapping up the Moby as I try to get into the grocery store!  (No judgement to Moby users!  They look so comfy and I'm sure a baby would LOVE it...I just don't know if its a great fit for my needs and ability...)

DS1 8/2011. DS2 8/2013.

• Options

There are sooooooo many different carriers out there now. I know some posh baby stores have a lot of displays set up with fake babies to put inside so you can see what suits you best. I'd suggest that. 

But you do want comfort though. A carrier that puts the weight on your hips not on your  back if you plan on wearing LO for a long time.

Baby wearing is the best!  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    imagefogleer:
    I'm always the odd one out warning people AGAINST the Moby, but if you're not an experienced baby carrier person(I wasn't, and still am not really) then it's more hassle than it's worth, especially if you have a toddler to please WHILE trying to tie it all up.  I sold mine within a week of buying it.  I loved my Beco Butterfly(similar to Ergo) for the newborn days.  I recently got a Maya ring sling and that is awesome for toddler carrying, though I've heard it's good for newborns too (and doesn't get all stretched out and wonky like the Moby does).
    It did take me a few tries before I really got the hang of it, but then it was so easy and secure. Not a hassle at all after the first 3 or 4 times, and it was my first experience baby carrying. I will use it again, but I also bought an Ergo for this time around.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

My ring sling was indispensable until DD was about ten months old; then she became too heavy for one shoulder. I had a Moby, but for my money I couldn't live without a ring sling. It was so comfy, easy to use, and lightweight. I could just stuff it right in my purse when not using it. 

I have an Ergo as well, and didn't really get into using until after that ten month mark. From then on, it has been my carrier of choice. I still pop DD into it while running errands. I find it much easier than dealing with a stroller.  

tinaraye
    Ruby Mirabelle born July 9 at 10:56pm!
    Photobucket
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Married 05/30/09 & TTC ever since Clomid only for 5 cycles IUI #1: 06/07/10 BFN IUI#2: 08/19/10 BFN IVF #1 started 10/07/10, ER 10/17/10 6 retrieved/6 fertilized, ET on day 5 10/22/10... Beta #1 on 11/5/10: 680!!!, Beta #2 on 11/8/10: 2337!!!, U/S 11/18/10 Got to see the tiny beating heart! What a blessing! 12/2/10 U/S HB 176 & I'm released! Anniversary
  • Options

I still carry DD all the time.  She hates strollers, well, all strollers except her doll stroller that she seems to think she can fit in.  I just made myself a woven wrap and loved it. I highly recommend wraps now!  I also have a Mei Tai but it was almost too hot to use during the summer months when DD was a newborn, so that is something to think about if your LO 2.0 is coming Spring/Summer.  We got a lot of use out of it during the infant/pre-walking stage, in fact I have two: one to keep in the car and one for inside the house.  

However, now that I have the woven wrap, I like how light the woven is to carry around.  It fits in the bottom of my diaper bag without taking up as much room as my Mai Tai does.  Plus, I think it is more convenient because the woven wrap is easier to keep on and wear between uses.  For example, when I was running to a couple of different places and taking DD in and out multiple times it was harder to keep the Mai Tai on in-between because I had to practically take it half off to get DD out.  With the woven wrap I can just pull her in and out and keep the wrap on.

Oh, and the Ergo was never an option for me because as soon as DD had the head/neck strength she wanted to be hip carried so that she could see what was going on.  The Ergo doesn't have an hip carry option, that I am aware of. 

Personally, now that I have used a wrap I would go Moby for the newborn stage and then use the woven for the infant through toddler stages. 

Oh, and if you are particularly crafty, or on a tight budget, you can make your own stretchy (i.e. Moby) and woven wraps.  5-6 yrds of fabric from JoAnn's will make you two wraps. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"