Working Moms
Options

Advice, wisdom, tips?

I'm going back to work Wednesday, so my 6 month old twin boys will be starting daycare in a few short days.  Any advice, tips, or words of wisdom you can share?  I find myself getting more and more anxious each day.  TIA.

MFI and (now) AMA
IVF 1 April 2011 - Cancelled
IVF 1.5 July 2011 - MC
IVF 2 October 2011 - BFP!
*Identical Twin Boys born June 2012*
Here we go again...IVF 3 is underway!

Re: Advice, wisdom, tips?

• Options
    The anxiety about returnung is the worst....I think more so than actually returning. Give yourself time to adjust to being a working mom. It took me a good month or two to feel like I had a handle on things and to be ok with working.

Get everything around the night before to save time in the morning.

Also, when you drop them off, don't linger....even if they start to fuss. It only makes it worse for everyone and chances are, they will stop before you pull out of the parking lot/drive way.

Good luck on your first day back!
    "Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body."
    Goodbye little angel(7/22/2011)....see you in heaven
    Goodbye my second angel (9/18/2011)
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

DD is also 6 months and has been attending DC for a month now.  She LOVES it there!  And the teachers have been a great resource for me as well as helping DD develop, get on a schedule, etc. 

DH drops DD and I pick her up.  THis has made the transition infinitely easier on me. 

Lastly, I called the daycare the first day DD was there to see how things were going.  Even the way they handled my call - put me through to the infant room imediately and the teachers were very specific about how DD did throughout the day and what she was currently doing - made me feel more at ease that my child was in good hands. 

So overall it almost feels like daycare is going better than I would have expected.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

mylittlesunshine said it very well. The anticipation of worse than the actual return. Give everyone time to adjust. I had a very hard time when I returned to work and for me it got harder before  it got easier.

Prepare bottles, pump (if needed), your lunch, set up coffee pot, etc the night before. Give yourself some extra time in the morning.

GL with your return! 

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagecakpeterson:
    I'm going back to work Wednesday, so my 6 month old twin boys will be starting daycare in a few short days.nbsp; Any advice, tips, or words of wisdom you can share?nbsp; I find myself getting more and more anxious each day.nbsp; TIA.

I return on thursday and keep crying when i think about it. I hope i can make it through the work day without a breakdown
  • Options
    imageJerseyBride11:
    imagecakpeterson:
    I'm going back to work Wednesday, so my 6 month old twin boys will be starting daycare in a few short days.nbsp; Any advice, tips, or words of wisdom you can share?nbsp; I find myself getting more and more anxious each day.nbsp; TIA.

I return on thursday and keep crying when i think about it. I hope i can make it through the work day without a breakdown

Me too
    MFI and (now) AMA
    IVF 1.5 July 2011 - MC
  • Options
    Thanks so much for the tips. I'm sure I'll be posting on this board much more now that I'm back to the real world!
    MFI and (now) AMA
    IVF 1.5 July 2011 - MC
  • Options

My twins went to dc when they were 5 months old. I didn't have help at home during the day for most of that 5 months so in all honesty, i welcomed going back & getting a little break each day and didn't dread it at all.  I never cried at drop off until my kids were over 3 yrs old & DS had an especially bad meltdown one day at dropoff!!!!  I agree w/ tips to prep all the night before so you can just leave in the morning, have a good routine going in the AM (MH & I alternated getting ready, he would get them up & give bottle while I showered, then I'd get them dressed & ready to go while he showered. I would get dressed in my work clothes & then put one of my largest maternity shirts over my clothes until I left the house to prevent spitup or spills on my clothes.  When they're babies it is actually not  that hard to get out in the morning (nighttime prep is more of a pain), once they're toddlers it is a bit more challenging to get out in the AM but nighttime is easier without bottles). 

So I guess my real tip outside of what others have said would be to try to welcome the adult interaction, quiet time in the car, going to the bathroom without worrying about  babies/kids in the other room,  opportunities to do other things & then when you're with them you will enjoy it that much more. Working is not a terrible thing, nor is daycare, as most of the women on here will tell you- this board is a great resource for tips and support!!! GL!

• Options

When I first sent my daughter to school for the first time- she had just turned 2- I cried all day, paced around the house- I work from home- and I could not concentrate.  If anything- just know you are not alone when you go through something like this- and keep reminding your self they are okay.  It will be fine, its just going to take some getting use too. 

• Options
    You are not alone. I went back to work 2 months ago and the couple weeks leading up were so tough for me. I took care of DS myself for the first 4 months so leaving him with some else or daycare was just so hard for me to imagine. I started him one week prior to returning part time and it was probably one of the best things for me and DS. I used that time to just get used to being away from him and get all the emotions out of the way and also was able to get a lot of errands done prior to returning to work. Good luck! It takes some time and getting used to.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"