Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Cat in the Crib

My husband and I love our cat so much, however since our son was born our cat has been a bit jealous.  We have been careful to pay extra attention to him but he seems to be doing little things to get more attention.

This week his attention grabbing behaviour involves sleeping where the baby sleeps.  When we leave the nursery the cat will get into the baby's crib and go to sleep.  He does the same thing with the pnp and the bassinet.  The baby is never in the crib/pnp/bassinet when he does this but it is still a concern because of the fur etc.

Any suggestions as to how to keep him out of the crib?

Thanks! 

Re: Cat in the Crib

• Options
    When baby isn't in the crib/pnp/bassinet put down aluminum foil...we did this before baby was born and the cat only had to jump in once...he freaked out and hasn't stepped foot near the crib since.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Can you just close the door?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imagessmb_clarinet:
    When baby isn't in the crib/pnp/bassinet put down aluminum foil...we did this before baby was born and the cat only had to jump in once...he freaked out and hasn't stepped foot near the crib since.

I tried this trick with my cat...it didn't work.  She also likes to sleep in the crib.  As LO isn't using it yet, it hasn't become an issue.  I shut the door to the nursery as the cat can't go in there.  Since LO has started sleeping in the bassinet, the cat hasn't tried getting in it even when I leave to door to my bedroom open.   

• Options
    Mine does exactly the same thing. I just ignore it. A little cat hair never hurts...my kid surely won't be allergic! If you want to stop it, drape a sheet over the crib when not in use. 
  • Options
    I posted this on another board but squirt guns is what worked for us. It's quick harmless and the cat hates water will learn quickly. Every time our cat went into the baby room he got a squirt (Cheap 99 cent store). It only took 2-3 times before the cat wouldn't go in (same with my kitchen counters). 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Someone on here had the same problem a few months ago and the solution that worked for them was filling the crib full of balloons.  The cat jumped in and freaked out when all the balloons popped.

If you do this, PLEASE take a video of it!  You will be YouTube gold :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    imageetude de la vie:
    I posted this on another board but squirt guns is what worked for us. It's quick harmless and the cat hates water will learn quickly. Every time our cat went into the baby room he got a squirt Cheap 99 cent store. It only took 23 times before the cat wouldn't go in same with my kitchen counters.nbsp;

Lol my cat learned to love the water... Weirdo... I have 2 cats who both love to sleep in the cribnot jealous just think they own everything lol so we just keep the door shut and if they do get in there sometimes I lay another thin blanket over the sheets jus so it's not directly in his mouth but otherwise I don't think it's a big deal...

Unless they start to jump in while he's in it then its a prob but so far they havent
  • Options
    My cat loves my baby's crib, she sleep in the and bat at the mobile. I started shutting the door to my daughters room and if I did catch her in the crib (my husband isn't so good about shutting the door) I would just make a loud noise to startle her, only took two times and haven't caught her in the crib since.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"