Postpartum Depression
Options

Do I need meds this early?

Needs some advice....

I'm about 6-7wks pregnant w/my 2nd.  It wasn't a totally planned pregnancy..."if god wants it to happen" kind of thing.  I agreeded to having a 2nd one more for my daughter than anyone else....and since it happened right away it took me by shock.  I had a rough time w/my first after she was born...PPA, I was put on Zoloft (no longer on)and I felt like I was finally get my life back and we had a the perfect family. Now, I'm crying in the shower (where I'm alone) beyond moody and want to crawl in a hole.  I'm having horrible flashbacks of how I was when I had my daughter...not to mention I had some OCD issues w/her sleep.  I'm having terrible thoughts.  Is this my hormones or something worse? Am I having "normal feelings"... I feel like I have no one I can talk with bc everyone is too excited for me while in the inside I'm miserable. 

What would you do?  P.S.  I didn't now where to post this thread...so I came here.  TIA!

Re: Do I need meds this early?

• Options
    I can't say whether you need meds, but talking to your OB would be the first step. I just had my second about 10 weeks ago and I am struggling. It's tough, and its good you recognized the signs of depression early on. Good luck. PM me if you want to chat!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    M/C Nov 9, 2011 at 11 weeks.... We love you & miss you Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagetbone_bride:
    I can't say whether you need meds, but talking to your OB would be the first step. I just had my second about 10 weeks ago and I am struggling. It's tough, and its good you recognized the signs of depression early on. Good luck. PM me if you want to chat!

I second this...def say something before things possibly get worse. I had horrible PPD/PPA with my DS, so I fear this with getting pregnant again as we'll. I've done lots of research on the possibility of needing meds while pregnant and I've come to the conclusion that, the meds may be better off than the awful anxiety or depression. Anxiety/depression alone can cause pregnancy problems high blood pressure, preterm baby, low birth weight, therefore the Zoloft may outweigh these risks. Talk to your Dr...it is very important that you feel as best as you can right now. Good luck...hugs!
    PPD/PPA Mom...it has been super hard, but I'm making it! Slow steps...
    Mom to Carter (6), and Calianne (1).  
    Proud VBAC, natural birth, breastfeeding, cloth diapering momma!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageArdmhs83:
    imagetbone_bride:

I second this...def say something before things possibly get worse. I had horrible PPD/PPA with my DS, so I fear this with getting pregnant again as we'll. I've done lots of research on the possibility of needing meds while pregnant and I've come to the conclusion that, the meds may be better off than the awful anxiety or depression. Anxiety/depression alone can cause pregnancy problems high blood pressure, preterm baby, low birth weight, therefore the Zoloft may outweigh these risks. Talk to your Dr...it is very important that you feel as best as you can right now. Good luck...hugs!

Sorry for horrible grammer, on my iPad.
    PPD/PPA Mom...it has been super hard, but I'm making it! Slow steps...
    Mom to Carter (6), and Calianne (1).  
    Proud VBAC, natural birth, breastfeeding, cloth diapering momma!

• Options
    imagemsspeedymarie:

I am 9 weeks and in the same boat. At about 4.5 weeks, I had a massive anxiety attack, was unable to eat, and ended up in the hospital to get fluids. The last month has been awful, barely able to eat, lost over 10lbs, everything seems huge and overwhelming and like I just can't deal with any of it. I've been doing the bare minimum to get by, and I feel like soon the backlog is going to catch up to me and bury me.

I went off meds in order to get get pregnant, but it looks like I'm going to have to go back on. I just can't manage anything this way, especially my job, which if I keep on like I have been, I feel like I won't have much longer.

I have an appt with my new therapist (only 4th appt) tomorrow, and I am going to tell her that I want to go on meds. She has already told me that my new OB (who I will meet on 1/9) is not against prescribing meds to pregnant women, so it shouldn't be too much of a struggle. It feels like giving up, but I know that I am no good to myself, my baby, my husband, or my life like this.

Hey there...I am 32 weeks plus days along, and I am 100% anticipating PPD. I am bipolar and I have remained on my medications throughout my pregnancy. I was monitored by my OB, and didn't seek out therapy during pregnancy mostly because my usual therapist is against meds during pregnancy (I don't fault him for it, but didn't want to go to another one just for 9 months). I actually changed and tapered meds in December and got pregnant in June. Once pregnant, I did TRY and taper off further, but physically couldn't and that's when it was decided collectively with myself, husband and doctor that my health is what is going to keep our baby healthy too. I am a FTM and have been scared endlessly over the health of my baby boy, but luckily with closer monitoring, we know he is as good as can be in there. Good luck to you. I don't know what your particular situation is, but if you want to PM me to chat feel welcome. PS- you are NOT giving up if you go back to your meds

• Options

Hormones do crazy things with your body, and if you have a history of anxiety of depression (pregnancy related or not) you are at a heightened risk while pregnant and after delivery.

I found that my symptoms were MUCH worse during pregnancy (especially in the beginning).

I'd suggest speaking to a doctor (a psychiatrist if you can get one) about it. 

Evelyn (3.24.10), Graham (5.30.13) & Miles (8.28.16)
  • Options
    I'm sorry you're feeling this way! Hopefully things have gotten better for you since you posted this. In my experience, mood swings were the worst between weeks 6-11. After that my mood symptoms went into "remission". My psychiatrist and OB were planning on putting me back on mood stabilizers (I have a history of bipolar disorder) after week 12. So, if you still need meds, try to hang on until week 12. I was literally counting the days down until I could resume meds, but then the mood swings from the first trimester stopped. So, this may happen to you, too. If not, there are plenty of meds whose benefits outweigh the risks, especially after the fist trimester. You're not alone, hang in there!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"