Military Families
Options

Tricare Reserve Select, Help Please

So I'm expecting and My husband finally landed 2 jobs. They are minimum wage jobs he's in the Army Reserves but he is going active later next year after baby is due. I got temporary medical and I'm almost positive the jobs he has don't offer medical insurance. So question is how is tricare reserve select for family it is $195 w/ some change a month. I don't want to continue on medical. So how is it with pregnancy coverage and will it cover baby when he/she is born? Is there co pays for each visit if so how much? I heard that they don't do ultrasound to let you know the sex of the baby which is a bummer don't know if that is completely accurate, so If any of you have any info I'd really appreciate it. Or is there better affordable insurance out there. My main concern is getting my prenatal care. I've had a first appt through medical and I'm not sure about he prenatals they gave me they gave me a bottle of prenatals, calcium tablets, folic acid tablets... which i thought prenatals already contained, and something called Ferrous sulfate. Please Help!

Re: Tricare Reserve Select, Help Please

• Options

Well, we're on Active Duty orders at the moment (so on Tricare Prime) but normally are on Tricare Reserve Select since my husband is NG.  We'll be switching back to TRS in a month and I'll be 37 weeks pregnant.  

From what Tricare told us this week in regards to my prenatal/maternity coverage is that 100% of prenatal care is still covered, but there will be a $17.05 co-pay per day for my hospital stay (for labor and delivery).   

With Reserve Select, you can go to ANY provider you choose even if they are out of network but you should know that the doctors offices are not under contract with Tricare and can charge you more than what Tricare allows (and you would have to pay the difference).  So you can either select someone in network (who is under contract and you wouldn't have to pay) or if the doctor you want is out of network I would definitely talk to their billing department first and see what you would end up owing for everything. 

No Tricare plan covers an ultrasound to determine the sex of the baby (even Tricare Prime).  In fact, pretty much no insurance plan ever does.  The sex is usually told at the time of the 20 week Anatomy scan (they are measuring the important stuff - brain, spine, heart, etc - finding out the sex is just a perk) which IS covered by Tricare. 

Tricare will cover pretty much anything deemed medically necessary (like prenatals).  It is by far better for coverage AND cost than any private insurance I've ever been on. Tricare Reserve Select is like $188 which is ridiculously cheap for a FAMILY.  Most people would kill to pay that a month just for themselves, let alone to cover their entire family.

* One thing you need to check on is this: Are you already on a Tricare plan? For me, I was/am on Tricare Prime so switching between Tricare plans mid-pregnancy is no big deal.  But if you are singing up for Tricare for the first time and already pregnant, you will need to make sure it's not excluded since it's a pre-existing pregnancy.  It shouldn't be, but you'll want to make sure.  Get it in writing. 

• Options
    imageEEDB:

Well, we're on Active Duty orders at the moment (so on Tricare Prime) but normally are on Tricare Reserve Select since my husband is NG.  We'll be switching back to TRS in a month and I'll be 37 weeks pregnant.  

From what Tricare told us this week in regards to my prenatal/maternity coverage is that 100% of prenatal care is still covered, but there will be a $17.05 co-pay per day for my hospital stay (for labor and delivery).   

With Reserve Select, you can go to ANY provider you choose even if they are out of network but you should know that the doctors offices are not under contract with Tricare and can charge you more than what Tricare allows (and you would have to pay the difference).  So you can either select someone in network (who is under contract and you wouldn't have to pay) or if the doctor you want is out of network I would definitely talk to their billing department first and see what you would end up owing for everything. 

No Tricare plan covers an ultrasound to determine the sex of the baby (even Tricare Prime).  In fact, pretty much no insurance plan ever does.  The sex is usually told at the time of the 20 week Anatomy scan (they are measuring the important stuff - brain, spine, heart, etc - finding out the sex is just a perk) which IS covered by Tricare. 

Tricare will cover pretty much anything deemed medically necessary (like prenatals).  It is by far better for coverage AND cost than any private insurance I've ever been on. Tricare Reserve Select is like $188 which is ridiculously cheap for a FAMILY.  Most people would kill to pay that a month just for themselves, let alone to cover their entire family.

* One thing you need to check on is this: Are you already on a Tricare plan? For me, I was/am on Tricare Prime so switching between Tricare plans mid-pregnancy is no big deal.  But if you are singing up for Tricare for the first time and already pregnant, you will need to make sure it's not excluded since it's a pre-existing pregnancy.  It shouldn't be, but you'll want to make sure.  Get it in writing. 

Tricare does not consider pregnancy a pre-exisiting condition and will cover it. TRS is great insurance and we used it while we didn't have any other insurance. Also, OP, they will cover your 20 week anatomy scan and most often that is when people find out the sex of their baby. Its not actually a separate "gender scan." 

CJ 05/29/2013

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    DH is NG so we have this insurance. My maternity coverage was outstanding. I didn't pay anything to the OB's office. It was all covered. The hospital was mostly covered as well. I just had to pay $25 per night. I only ended up staying one night so my entire pregnancy and delivery cost me $25 total. We also had about 3 - 4 u/s done, and those were covered as well. I highly recommend you pay the $195 a month. I don't think you will find anything any better. I'm very impressed with the insurance. GL!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    Just had a DD2 in October and was covered by TRS. They covered everything except the night fee.  I also had ultrasounds at 9, 13, 15, 18 weeks and all were covered.  I also had some issues with preterm labor and a cardiac issue during this pregnancy and it was all covered at 100%. This has been the best insurance coverage we have ever had in terms of maternity care.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"