Baby Showers

Baby shower for 2nd baby

I know, I know. It's tacky. My first will only be 21 months when the new LO gets here. I don't need anything. But one of my good friends is insisting that she needs to throw me a shower and that I need to get her the guest list and addresses of everyone I want there.
I told her that I don't feel comfortable having another shower and she told me I was being ridiculous.
What should I do? Just let her have her fun and throw a party? Or how can I tell her to let it go?

Re: Baby shower for 2nd baby

• I would tell her that she can do a sip n see or a meet the baby party after the baby is born. Those kinds of things are not a gift giving type of thing and your friend still gets to throw you a party. GL.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • just tell her she can host/throw the "meet the baby party". it will be more exciting anyway because the baby will be there!

Anniversary
    When you've been married this long, you need a ticker to remind you.

Baby Boy M - 08/01/2013 

Expecting Baby Bean February 2017
  • Loading the player...
  • Yeah, meet the baby party.  And really- if you're not comfortable, TELL her that firmly.  You aren't comfortable going to your friends and family asking for more gifts from them!
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Tell her you would only feel comfortable with a meet the baby party. Be firm. There is no way you should be having another shower considering your other child`s age.
    No one else will ever know the strength of my love for you. After all, you are the only one who knows what my heart sounds like from the inside.

• I'm confused, Why is that tacky?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • You're right, a meet the baby party would be better. I have told her very firmly that I would be uncomfortable with a 2nd shower, but she's had 4 kidsand a shower for each, so theres that.
    I'll try to convince her that a party in May will be way more fun to host. Weather will be a lot nicer then, than in February.
  • imageold_time_girl:
    You're right, a meet the baby party would be better. I have told her very firmly that I would be uncomfortable with a 2nd shower, but she's had 4 kidsand a shower for each, so theres that. I'll try to convince her that a party in May will be way more fun to host. Weather will be a lot nicer then, than in February.

Great idea - weather.  Plus, like the other pp said...it is much more fun when the baby is there.  From what I've read if you DO have a shower for 2nd, 3rd, etc. kids you are not supposed to invite the same people as you did for your first.  That kind of makes a shower ridiculous.  Maybe also you could tell your friend that 2nd, 3rd, etc. showers are just "not done" in your family even though it is common in others.

• I have been to many second showers for friends that I did not find tacky. They ranged from a pedicure outing for a few friends to a traditional restaurant affair to essentially a play date at someone's house with all of their kids. All were based on the Mom's preference. Sure, a massive affair to shake down everyone you know for gifts is tacky, but there are other ways to celebrate a pregnancy with a few friends.
  • imageAdam&Eve2:

I would tell her that she can do a sip n see or a meet the baby party after the baby is born. Those kinds of things are not a gift giving type of thing and your friend still gets to throw you a party. GL.

+1

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I don't think it's tacky - my MIL threw me a shower for my second child (another boy). It was small and low-key - close friends and family and I mainly got diapers, which was what I most needed. It was nice.

I'm even having a shower with this baby - my best friend informed me the second I told her I was pregnant that she would be throwing me a shower (because it had been so long since I had a child and we got rid of almost everything). If you have people wanting to throw it, there's nothing wrong with it. I've already had others asking me when the shower is, not even knowing one was being thrown. 

DS1 - 9; DS2 - 6; Angel - May 10, 2011; Baby Girl - Due May 19, 2013
  • I think a sip and see would be a much better idea. But if your friend is insistent, I would go with it, but have a "no gift" get together. I'm pretty passive though, so I would hate to hurt my friends' feelings. OR my cousin did this thing, a "sprinkle"? (I sound like such a newb), b/c she was having a girl instead of a boy, and she just got some diapers, and people brought some girl outfits, but she had no registry or anything.

• I'm going through the same thing. My aunt is insisting I have another baby shower, I told her I don't agree with another baby shower. She said all baby's are different and special and should have a pre welcome party.. I beleive that a welcome home party is a much better idea. I posted something familiar to this and got very negative feedback, right down to making fun cause I spelled horrible wrong because of fast typing and my phone tried to spell correct to what it thought I ment and I didn't notice lol. Good luck with everything and go with what you feel is right :
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"