Baby Showers
Options

Help... Tacky or not?

I'm active duty, and most of my friends and family don't live anywhere close by.  Well, any that would throw me a shower anyway.  I'm trying to figure out if it's tacky to throw my own.  Some websites say it's no big deal but I feel funny about it. 

What do you guys think? TIA

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Help... Tacky or not?

• Options
    we think its tacky.
  • Options
    who would attend anyway?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I wouldn't. You'd be throwing a gift-giving event for yourself. You said you feel funny about it anyway, so go with your gut.

Lilypie - (KNqh)
  • Options
    Who would attend this shower? If no one offers, you don't get a shower.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imagejeffsjayme:
    who would attend anyway?

This.

However, I think it's a great idea for you to plan your own Sip & See or Meet the Baby party.  Family will be more likely to travel to see the newborn--not so much to see you open presents.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
  • Options
    if you're going to be the one planning, wait til baby is born and do a meet the baby party. otherwise, no, it is not ok for you to throw your own. 
    trying for #1 since May 2012... we're adopting! bringing home baby boy in january 2015!

photo tacos.gif
    Texas forever. 
  • Options
    My standard responses.... If you have to ask, you know the answer and "if no one is around to host, who would you invite to attend?"
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Little Man (4 years old---holy cow)
    He's the single greatest thing I've done in my life and reminds me daily of how fun (and funny) life can be.  He's turned out pretty swell for having such a heartless and evil mother.  
  • Options

A shower is a gift given to you to welcome you to motherhood.  It is never appropriate to throw yourself a party where gifts are customarily involved (birthday party, bridal shower, baby shower, etc.). Think of it this way, you're basically asking if it is OK to throw a party for yourself so that people can bring you gifts. 

You may as well say to your guests, "Isn't this wonderful of me?  I decided to invite you all to my house so that you can BUY me things!!".  If saying it that way doesn't concern you, then there is something wrong. 

If nobody offers to throw you a shower, you don't have one.  Pretty simple.

• Options
    you should not throw your own shower. under any circumstances. 

Anniversary
    When you've been married this long, you need a ticker to remind you.

Baby Boy M - 08/01/2013 

Expecting Baby Bean February 2017
  • Options
    MUD?  The OP posted in 2nd tri that she was expecting baby #3.............so to the OP, it is never ok to throw your own shower, especially for your 3rd baby. ick
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    If you have to ask....
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I'm in the camp that if you have to ask...it probably is. 

With that said, you do not host your own gift giving event. 

• Options

imageSarahBBowers:
    MUD?  The OP posted in 2nd tri that she was expecting baby #3.............so to the OP, it is never ok to throw your own shower, especially for your 3rd baby. ick

Double ick. No you can not throw your own shower for your 3rd child. Just out of curiosity how old are your first two? 

• Options
    imagePunkyBooster:

I'm in the camp that if you have to ask...it probably is. 

With that said, you do not host your own gift giving event. 

I agree with all of the others.  The Meet the Baby Party is your best option.  That you can host yourself!

• Options
    imagegraciesmurf:

imagejeffsjayme:
    who would attend anyway?

This.

However, I think it's a great idea for you to plan your own Sip & See or Meet the Baby party.  Family will be more likely to travel to see the newborn--not so much to see you open presents.

Throwing your own shower is tacky. You would be asking people to come give you gifts. Throw a Sip and See or Meet the Baby and don't mention gifts on the invite. I'm sure you'll receive some though.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageAdam&Eve2:

imageSarahBBowers:

Double ick. No you can not throw your own shower for your 3rd child. Just out of curiosity how old are your first two? 

Wow, really surprised at how rude some people can be.  Not necessarily you, just saying.  But to answer your question, I have a 12 and 9 yr old.  So it's been quite some time.   
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"