Attachment Parenting

6 year old wont sleep in her own bed

My 6 year old daughter will not sleep in her bed. She claims that she is having nightmares. Now at first I beleived her, but now when i ask her she tells me that she just scared of the dark and cant sleep in the dark. So I went purchased her a night light to see if that would help and she doesnt even use it. Then i told her she could leave her bedroom light on and she stills comes in the bed with me. So I thought maybe she just needs someone to sleep with her,so I ask her 8 year old brother to sleep with her and she falls alseep with him but still ends up in the bed with me. I just dont know what to do. I am so uncomfortable sleeping with her but when i tell her to get in the bed she cries and I feel so sad. Sh tells me mama I love you so much I just sleep better when you hold me. I am 33 weeks pregnant and I am already restless because of the aches and pain. I know it has nothing to do with me having another baby because before this pregancy I couldnt get her out of the bed. She might have slept in her bed 2-3 times out of the week. But by morning she still would be in my bed. Any suggestions?
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: 6 year old wont sleep in her own bed

• Would a mattress beside your bed for her work? That way she can feel close, but you both have space to sleep.
    Elizabeth 5yrs old Jane 3yrs old

• Eh, that's a tough one. Can you make her room a bit cozier by making sure she uses her nighlight, buying her a body pillow to cuddle with, use a humidifier and play soft music? I'm all about making sure that my LO feels safe and comfortable, but I would probably be a bit tougher and more stern about encouraging her to sleep in her own room at the age of 6, especially with a new one on the way. GL!
  • Loading the player...
  • this sounds bad, but maybe the problem will take care of itself when you have the new baby... I don't imagine your 6 year old will want to wake up everytime the baby needs to nurse!

TTCAL Siggy Challenge: "He's my favorite.  His birthday is the same as mine almost"

image image

Missing my little one lost at 9 weeks on 2.24.13. brokenhearted but not broken... 

d&c 5/21/13... Still Healing, Still Standing... 

MMC discovered 10/2/2013, TWINS... d&c 10/7/2013.  I still miss you, little ones. 

Surgery December 2013 to remove a 10+cm fibroid... Open myomectomy. Benched for 3-9 months... 
    Will TTC summer Summer 2014 we hope!

Dear God, Since I couldn't hold my little one in my lap and tell him about you, could you hold him in your lap and tell him about me? 

PgAL and PAL always welcome...
  • Thanks for the advice. I was thinking about an reward system. Let her know if she can sleep in her bed for 30 days straight. i would buy her a nice gift/toy

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I second the mattress next to the bed. It doesn't necessarily even need to be a mattress if one wouldn't fit there. It could be her own little space and an easy transition into her own room.
  • Our 6 year DD is still in the bed with us.  There were times I tried to move her to her bed and it seemed to be going well but Dh would bring her back in our bed.  It's certainly cozy with her there.  We're ttc so I imagine we'll be moving her to her own bed when we have another DC.  Have you tried a hall light and some soft music?
    ~Jessica~ 

• Try the music idea that PP's suggested. I was exactly like your child when I was young and the only thing that worked for my parents was to play movies (with a shut off timer) so I could fall asleep to noise. Also, if I got scared in the middle of the night instead of going to my parent's room I could turn it back on.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"