I'm not a good candidate — The Bump
VBAC

I'm not a good candidate

I was hoping for a vbac but DS is measuring huge.  I had an ultrasound yesterday and hes 7 lbs 14 oz at almost 36 weeks.  His head is already measuring 40 weeks.  I've heard that the weight can be off on an ultrasound however I had one the day before DD was born and it was right on the money.  DD also had a big head so I knew his was going to be big but not this big.  My Dr. scheduled a c-section for Jan 22 but she said we could always cancel it if something changes.  I'm hoping he comes sooner then that.  I might wait till I'm full term and try some exercise ball stuff and having sex more.  Any ideas on jump starting things?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker photo 198298_4113504195106_1134927813_n.jpg photo 71888_10200313406736972_872717456_n.jpg

Re: I'm not a good candidate

  • Just a heads up, a guesstimate size on an ultrasound does not make or break whether you are a good VBAC candidate.  Both of my children had heads that would be equivalent to 44 weeks when they were born, one was a c/s and the other came out after only a few pushes.  Their position matters much more than size.

    That said, if you are not comfortable attempting a VBAC, then a RCS is definitely an option.  That is up to you to decide!

    If it were me, I'd still wait it out and if laor didn't seem to be moving along, then I'd know that the c/s would still be there as a possibility.  How late did you go with your first?  I went to over 41 weeks with both of mine which is why I refused to schedule a c/s.  I didn't need a deadline- I knew I'd be birthing late.

    God luck with your decision!  Baby will come when they are ready (or on the 22d!)

    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers image image
  • imageMAprincess:

    Just a heads up, a guesstimate size on an ultrasound does not make or break whether you are a good VBAC candidate.  Both of my children had heads that would be equivalent to 44 weeks when they were born, one was a c/s and the other came out after only a few pushes.  Their position matters much more than size.

    That said, if you are not comfortable attempting a VBAC, then a RCS is definitely an option.  That is up to you to decide!

    If it were me, I'd still wait it out and if laor didn't seem to be moving along, then I'd know that the c/s would still be there as a possibility.  How late did you go with your first?  I went to over 41 weeks with both of mine which is why I refused to schedule a c/s.  I didn't need a deadline- I knew I'd be birthing late.

    God luck with your decision!  Baby will come when they are ready (or on the 22d!)

    When I had DD I was induced at 36 weeks because my fluid was low and she wasn't progressing so I ended up with a c-section.  I don't have my heart set on a vbac however I would like to attempt it.  I'm just scared of tearing with this one.  DS head would be 44 weeks at full term.  Did you tear with yours?

    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker photo 198298_4113504195106_1134927813_n.jpg photo 71888_10200313406736972_872717456_n.jpg
  • Loading the player...
  • just seconding the PP...

    i would say do not count yourself out of the VBAC game because of size. there are LOTS of other solid reasons one might not be a good candidate, but fundal height and late pregnancy ultrasound to guess on size shouldn't be reasons!

    speaking from experience, DS1 measured ahead my entire third trimester {fundal height} and i had numerous growth ultrasound in which he measured 9+ at 37 weeks, etc. i was told he was macrosomic and i likely would have CPD so i was somewhat scared into scheduling a c section at 39 weeks. first baby, 28 years old, otherwise completely healthy pregnancy. a decision i wish i NEVER made! he was 8lbs 2oz. i never even had a trial of labor.

    and here i sit, on my due date with my second, praying daily labor starts on its own so i am not subject to a second c section.

    if you can and you feel comfortable, hang in there!!!!

    i have no clue how to jumpstart things....clearly :) i have tried everything in the book except for castor oil. and i am still home, pregnant, with no sign she is on her way anytime soon.

    good luck whatever you decide! 

  • imageJettscy:
    imageMAprincess:

    Just a heads up, a guesstimate size on an ultrasound does not make or break whether you are a good VBAC candidate.  Both of my children had heads that would be equivalent to 44 weeks when they were born, one was a c/s and the other came out after only a few pushes.  Their position matters much more than size.

    That said, if you are not comfortable attempting a VBAC, then a RCS is definitely an option.  That is up to you to decide!

    If it were me, I'd still wait it out and if laor didn't seem to be moving along, then I'd know that the c/s would still be there as a possibility.  How late did you go with your first?  I went to over 41 weeks with both of mine which is why I refused to schedule a c/s.  I didn't need a deadline- I knew I'd be birthing late.

    God luck with your decision!  Baby will come when they are ready (or on the 22d!)

    When I had DD I was induced at 36 weeks because my fluid was low and she wasn't progressing so I ended up with a c-section.  I don't have my heart set on a vbac however I would like to attempt it.  I'm just scared of tearing with this one.  DS head would be 44 weeks at full term.  Did you tear with yours?

    I did tear a bit. I think 7 stitches took care of it?  But it was just swollen and a bit uncomfortable for a couple of days, not painful. And nothing like my c/s recovery. Actually, an hour after she was born I was in my regular clothes asking if I could just head home:-)  They convinced me to stay 24 hours, though.

    And FWIW, everything is totally normal down there now:-)

    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers image image
  • I agree with pp. my DS was measuring at 40wks at 36wks. My dr was so concerned about his size, particularly his head, then he sent me to a peri. They did a full size U/S which said he was over 8lbs at 38wk. A week later he was born at 7lbs 8oz with an average to small head. They had even required a neonatologist to come to the birth. He laughed when he was born because he was a perfectly normal, healthy baby. I take those ultrasounds with a grain of salt now. I wouldn't let that scare you into a RCS.

    As for tearing, that depends more on positioning and delivery than baby's size. I tore to the 3rd degree with my VBAC, but honestly I wouldn't have known if I hadn't seen the dr stitching me up and i did it all natural. I didn't even notice them after I left the hospital. I'd take a few stitches over major surgery recovery any day. I can't wait until my next VBAC in Aug!
    DS 5.5 years old. DD 3.5 years old. Jellybean EDD 8/18/13.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards