December 2012 Moms

Measuring at 42 weeks at 39 - should I be worried?

This little stat, and the fact that my midwife implied this was the "tallest" baby she had ever felt in utero  has definitely given me pause. He grew a lot in the last 2 weeks. 

She didn't say anything about inductions or C-Sections. 

But should I have asked about this? I'm thinking about emailing the midwife team and asking if these are things I should be considering.  

imageimageimage
weddingcountdown.com Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Measuring at 42 weeks at 39 - should I be worried?

• I wouldn't be worried... if they didn't bring up reason to be concerned then there is prob nothing to worry about.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

BFP#1 on 02/14/09 BIRTH to Mason 6lb9oz on 10/12/09

BFP#2 on 5/28/11 EDD 2/1/12 Natural M/C on 6/13/11

BFP#3 on 1/20/12 EDD 9/30/12 Natural m/c on 1/27/12

BFP#4 on 4/23/12 BIRTH to Isabella 7lb1oz on 12/19/12

• Loading the player...
  • I measured 45 wks at 39. soooo no I wouldn't worry haha. I am about 5 3 though. Baby was 8.7 at 39wks 6 days. 

ETA : she was 20 inches
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Thanks that's encouraging. 
    imageimageimage
    weddingcountdown.com Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • My LO was measuring 41 weeks at 36 weeks... Ended up weighing 10 lbs 9 oz and 21.5 inches long at birth (he came at 38w4d). I had to have a c-section because after two and a half hours of pushing, there was just no way his big ole head was going to make it past my pelvis :P However, a friend of DH's had a baby a week later that was the exact same size, and she delivered vaginally. Just because baby's big doesn't necessarily mean you'll have to have a c-section, or an induction.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I had my son at 41 weeks measuring 42 weeks. He ended up being 10 lbs 5 oz. and 22 inches long was able to come out vaginally, however it was almost a csection.

At my doctors office, they will automatically schedule you for a csection if they think your baby weighs 10 lbs 5oz or above.. However, when I had a growth ultrasound at 40 weeks they estimated him to only be 10 oz, which is why I didn't have a scheduled c section.

So every practice is different, I'd definitely ask! but big babies can be born vaginally too :
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"