October 2011 Moms
Options

expired carseat

Well, MOTY here didn't know that carseats expire.  I always knew I HATED mine, but DH just refused to get a new one since our hand-me-down worked just fine.  It came up in conversation with friends that they do indeed expire.  I did some checking, and ours was manufactured in 2004.  I looked online on their website, and it says that they expire after 8 years.  I don't care if I have to charge the motherfcuker, I'm going out and buying one STAT.  Any recommendations?

TIA, ladies.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: expired carseat

• Options
    There are a lot of quality inexpensive carseats out there. We have a Cosco and an Evenflo. I don't know the exact type but both were under $100 each. If you are looking to do extended RFing you might check out some more expensive models that convert to a booster eventually. N is pretty small but whens if she outgrows the carseats we have before she's ready to FF we'll upgrade.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I had the MyRide by Graco. It was recommended to me by tons of people. Hated it. Selling it to someone else in 15 minutes. Two of my friends hated theirs as well and bought different seats. That being said, there are different designs of the MyRide....I had the Preston model. Only used it off and on for four months. We had a Britax Chaperone and I loved it. However, we bought a Diono Radian RXT or XT...whatever it is. It came and was the wrong color so instead of shipping back, I sold to a friend. In the end, we went back to Britax and got a Pavilion 70GS in Plaza. I love it! I like not having to rethread the harness when she gets bigger and instead just pull the handle. I like the HUGS system. I like that I can adjust each side one at a time instead of only being about to adjust the LATCH on one side. I like that it isn't the awful hooks and has the push button release for the LATCH anchors. It doesn't go up as high weight wise as the Diono but by the time we have kid 2 and he or she is out of the Chalerone and ready for the Gator's Pavilion, I will be moving Gator into a Britax booster. My friend just got the Advocate and she really likes it but it is wider. My Pavilion is narrower than the MyRide. BRU will let you put carseats in your car to see how well they fit. The MyRide didn't fit in our Cadillac correctly, the carseat installers gave up and had to install it FF. The LATCH on it also wasn't long enough for my sister's 4Runner, or the 4 door Tacoma, or my FIL's 4 door Chevy truck all made 2010 to 2012. The LATCH barely fit it my mom's KIA.

I am happy with the Britax and will continue to stick with this brand. We have the stroller too and I love it, my friend loved mine so much she sold both of her strollers and got one too. And their customer service has always been awesome when I dealt with them.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I really like our Britax Roundabout.  It is good for a smaller/medium car.  I also got mine for $99, it must have been on sale.

https://www.target.com/p/britax-roundabout-55-2012-rf/-/A-14213432#prodSlot=medium_1_5

siggy1-16-13_zpsbc591894 photo siggy1-16-13_zpsbc591894-1_zpscf1469c3.jpg
  • Options
    We have a Britax Roundabout and a Marathon.  I love the Marathon and just like the Roundabout.  Very similar, but the Roundabout has to be removed from the car to adjust the shoulder straps, the Marathon doesn't. 
  • Options
    Thank you so much for the information, I really appreciate it.  I need to do some homework now :-)
  • Options

imageChunstad:
    Thank you so much for the information, I really appreciate it.  I need to do some homework now :-)

Honestly, all carseats are  going to meet safety standards.  It's going to be a matter of feature preference, ease of installation, and car fit.  With car fit actually being the #1 factor.  Definitely take your car to a store and try them out.  What works well in one car make not in another.

• Options
    And check out deals online before buying from a store. I ended up getting my Britax for 254 dollars and free two day shipping. I ordered Tues afternoon and it was at SO's work Thursday morn. Due to sale and tax free and free shipping, I saved 116 dollars on it.
  • Options
    We have a Safety First, 2 Evenflos, a Cosco and a Recaro. The Evenflos are the best IMO. I like the Recaros much better than the Britax. The Cosco is perfectly fine and was 40 shipped from Walmart.
  • Options

imagecantalopes24:
    We have a Safety First, 2 Evenflos, a Cosco and a Recaro. The Evenflos are the best IMO. I like the Recaros much better than the Britax. The Cosco is perfectly fine and was 40 shipped from Walmart.

Dang, why do you have so many?

• Options
    Grandparents and SIL have their own set of seats and then MH and I have our own.
  • Options
    imageChunstad:

imagecantalopes24:

We have one Cosco and I like it, especially for the price. It has plenty of room for him to rear face still and he' s a big boy. We use it in grandma's car. We have Gracos in our cars and I have no complaints about them. 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Options

imagecantalopes24:
    Grandparents and SIL have their own set of seats and then MH and I have our own.

Ah, that makes sense

• Options
    I love my Orbit.  It is on the pricier side, but the fact that it spins is worth every penny, it makes putting her in so much easier!
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickersDaisypath Happy Birthday tickersPitaPata Cat tickers

• Options

We have 2 Graco MyRide 65's and I LOVE them. We had Evenflo Triumphs before them and I didn't love them. The shell is really deep in the MyRide's so my 2.5yr old is still RFing.  Have no complaints. 

My mom has a Costco and I like that seat also. My DD fit RFing in it in the 3rd row of my Acadia for a 5hr trip and was perfectly comfy. For $40 it was well worth it.  

• Options
    imageWoodsie:
    I have a britax boulevard and DH has a britax marathon. I prefer the boulevard. I wish I had one that spins though now. Thanks Liz, now I have carseat envy.
    Is that like the mommy version of penis envy?
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickersDaisypath Happy Birthday tickersPitaPata Cat tickers

• Options
    imagecantalopes24:
    I had a Recaro and LOVED it. But it didn't live my car. :
  • Options

imageWoodsie:
    imageLiz4444:
    imageWoodsie:
    I have a britax boulevard and DH has a britax marathon. I prefer the boulevard. I wish I had one that spins though now. Thanks Liz, now I have carseat envy.
    Is that like the mommy version of penis envy?
    Haha must be! Now I am going to overcompensate by getting a flashy diaper bag or something.

LOL!

Good lord, there is just too much information out there.  I don't even know where to start.

• Options
    imageChunstad:

imagecantalopes24:

Also, if you register with camelcamelcamel.com, you can be notified when the price of a carseat or whatever product meets a specific dollar amount you're looking for.

imageimage
    Parenting Floozie Brigades official motto:  We welcome to you the board with open legs.  Also, open beers. ~@cinemagoddess

• Options
    imagemissyleaferg:
    imageChunstad:

imagecantalopes24:

Also, if you register with camelcamelcamel.com, you can be notified when the price of a carseat or whatever product meets a specific dollar amount you're looking for.

Cool!  I'll need to check out that cameltoe website.  DH is pissing me off, he's trying to argue to keep the carseat.

• Options
    Evenflo Tribute. Affordable, comfy, padded, and great reviews. Fits in our Maxima and Explorer.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    My little CHD warrior. Born 9/29/11. Got his new heart 10/20/11

BLOG :] & Shaping Up Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options

imageMackalien13:
    Dammit, Liz. Now I have car seat envy too. We have a Cosco Scenera, a britax boulevard, britax marathon, britax roundabout and a myride 65. They are all very safe but I think what is best depends on your needs, like vehicle size.

I drive a GMC Yukon

• Options
    imageChunstad:

imageMackalien13:
    Dammit, Liz. Now I have car seat envy too. We have a Cosco Scenera, a britax boulevard, britax marathon, britax roundabout and a myride 65. They are all very safe but I think what is best depends on your needs, like vehicle size.

I drive a GMC Yukon

Sometimes it's not size, but the way the back seat is angled.  MH drives a Nissan Extera and the back seats angle down and to the back.  It makes it hard to get the right angle on the seat.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"