Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

How to shape LO's slightly pointy head?

My Lo is coming up on 6 weeks old. His head is a bit pointy and my in laws have commented on how I should look into getting a helmet for him to reshape his head. I?ve looked online and it seems as if these helmets are for babies that have a greater degree of distortion. I?m going to ask our pediatricians about it but wanted to know if any one here has advice on other ways to gently reshape a baby?s head??I don't know that I need any drastic interventions here. I do make sure I give him tummy time, don't leave him in his car seat for too long, try and make sure he doesn't lie on one side of his head for too long, etc. What else can i do?

Re: How to shape LO's slightly pointy head?

• Options
    Your inlaws need to shut it. Helmets are for plagiocephaly, and should be used only with a doctor's guidance. All babies head are kind of funny looking, and it normally does work itself out. DS had a minor flat spot until he was around 4 months old. Once he started rolling, it got much better.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Yes, that's exactly what I thought! Honestly this didn't worry me at all until they made that comment when we saw them which prompted me to start doing some searching online. I've read conflicting things. Some places say - as you did - that a baby's head shape evens out on its own as they grow. Other site say that if you don't intervene soon enough, their head will be permanently shaped. So I'm not sure of how to proceed.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageShema N:
    Yes, that's exactly what I thought! Honestly this didn't worry me at all until they made that comment when we saw them which prompted me to start doing some searching online. I've read conflicting things. Some places say - as you did - that a baby's head shape evens out on its own as they grow. Other site say that if you don't intervene soon enough, their head will be permanently shaped. So I'm not sure of how to proceed.

You don't need to do anything outside of what you are already doing. If your pediatrician is concerned about plagio, he/she will let you know what steps to take next. Stop borrowing trouble.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

You can rub/press firmly (NOT hard) repeatedly when ever nursing or snuggling.  It should not be done such that it hurts at all.  Same way for a bent ear or other LITTLE things.  They are a bit malleable when born ;-)

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"