Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Rolling over and swaddling?

So, my LO just rolled over for the first time last night. Went from back to tummy then back to his back. Since doing that, he has done it a few more times during his activity time throughout the day, but never during naps and not at all through the night last night. When he goes down for naps and for his night time sleep, we use a swaddleme. (he could not stay swaddled in anything else) My question is, should we automatically start putting him to sleep in something else or continue to use the swaddleme until he rolls over in it? He has always been a mover at night. Squirming around in his crib so I am worried he might roll over and get stuck and us not know. Any ideas? Plus what does anyone suggest we use to put him to sleep in instead? Any help would be appreciated!

Re: Rolling over and swaddling?

• Options
    The swaddleme has a warning tag that days not to use it once the baby can roll over. I would stop using it because you don't want your baby to get stuck face down on the crib.
  • Options
    yeah....kinda why I wrote the post. I was looking for alternatives.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    When DD started rolling at night we put the swaddleme under her arms so her arms were out of it.  I did not like the idea of having a blanket in her crib and she needed something to keep her warm.  It took a few nights for her to get the hang of not being swaddled so you have to be prepared for that. 
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    About how long do you think you did that for? Did she seem to like it after the first few days?
  • Options
    With older dd We switched to a sleep sack or used the swaddle me below the arms the day little one started rolling over. It was a rough transition for a few days until she learned to stop freaking out when she rolled on to her belly in her sleep.

But like all transitions it eventually got better.
  • Options
    We use the halo transition swaddle to arms free.  it keeps his arms out but still gives the wrap pressure around his tummy.
  • Options
    How about a sleepsack instead? DD loved being swaddled, but she's been doing great in the sleepsack for the past week or so. If he seems to need the tightness of the swaddle, I'd just swaddle with his arms out so he doesn't get stuck.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageJoyGrace23:
    yeah....kinda why I wrote the post. I was looking for alternatives.

You said 'my question is, should we automatically put him to sleep in something else or continue to use the swaddleme until he can roll over in it?'

She answered that question.

As for alternatives, I've heard the miracle blanket is hard to get out of, but I'm not sure I'd swaddle at all once they roll over. You may need to help lo learn to sleep without it. You could try trading the swaddle for a paci, a security blanket, etc. If he likes to be cuddled, you could try a rock n play.

Eta my lo was swaddled with arms out and rolled over, so if that is what you're trying to avoid, I don't know that swaddling arms out is your answer. Sleep sack is good if you're concerned about warmth. We just put lo in a warm onesie. Then again, we co sleep too.
    11/27/12
    First Child born

5/5/14 and 6/5/14
    Twins born into Heaven 
    BFP - 4/6/14, due date 12/8/14. First twin M/C at home - 5/5/14, Second twin D&C - 6/5/14

11/14
    Chemical Pregnancy

9/5/15
    Second after severe bleeding for 18 weeks due to subchorionic hematoma

Currently
    Expecting Number 3 due 10/31/2020
  • Options
    DD hates being swaddled so once she hits 3 months I'm going to get her a merlin's magic sleepsuit..it keeps their arms out but sort of muffles the startle reflex.  It's supposed to be a good transition from swaddle to arms out.
  • Options

We now use the Merlin Magic Sleepsuit since DD2 can roll over. I tried to transition to a sleepsack and it went amazing the first night and then not so good the second night. I then put her in the sleepsuit and she went right back to STTN. We also used the sleepsuit with DD1 and I would totally recommend it.

Here is the site in case you'd like more information: https://www.magicsleepsuit.com/

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Thank you all! This gives us a place to start.
  • Options
    I would definitely stop swaddling now. Maybe look into Halo sleep sacks?
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"