Natural Birth
Options

Are classes necessary?

I really wanted to take the Bradley classes and I found some that work with my husband's and my schedule; however, they are too expensive for us! 

SO my question is, can we go over the book together and do the exercises and breathing techniques on our own and be ok? My mom will be acting as my doula (she has lots of experience in the delivery room) so I will have someone there besides my husband. 

Re: Are classes necessary?

• Options
    Many women have natural births without taking classes so it can be done.  The big thing about the Bradley method is that it focuses on H/SO coached birth.  If your H is on board and supportive then you should be able to do the exercises/practicing at home.  Honestly, I enjoyed the Bradley classes because I liked learning about childbirth and meeting other expecting parents.  I do think I could have gotten all the information by reading the books though.  Just an FYI you should considered talking to the Bradley instructor about a payment plan or a reduced class rate?  Many times they are willing to negotiate because it is more important to them to educate moms then to make money.  I think a doula is the more important thing to have during L&D, so if your mom is going to act as one for you that is great!
  • Options

That is encouraging! Thank you :) I am THRILLED that my mom will be with me! She has a calming effect. Plus, she has seen me in pain so it won't phase her if I go all crazy on her :P Not that it would affect a doula either though since they probably see that all the time. 

I did ask about a reduced payment but it was a no-go.  

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    i didnt take classes and i was just fine! they are wayyyy to pricey and everyone i talked to said it wasnt worth it. i went on youtube and searched labor, breathing techniques etc. and i think that prepared me by seeing different women dealing with the pain in their own ways.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    i didnt take classes and i had a natural birth with just DH for support (in a hospital). we managed just fine! I think its great to learn some tips from those classes, but when the time comes your instincts will tell you what to do.
  • Options
    Absolutely NOT!  I've never taken a class and have 2 natural births under my belt (3rd any week now).  I read and read and read.  State of mind is everything, because I am a WIMP!  I cry when I get stung by a bee!  (I'm not joking).  I even did my first baby on pitocin for 8 hours and my second baby was 9lb 9oz, so it's definately possible!  Both labors were about 8 hrs.  You can do it!  People and animals do it everyday without reading anything or taking any classes, so don't think anything of it.  Best of luck!
    Reichley Mama
  • Options

I certainly think it can be done (and it has, obviously!), but I wanted to present the other side of it.  I read a ton last time, watched the videos, read the inspiring birth stories (in addition to the birth education stuff, I read plenty about Bradley too) watched documentaries, etc. and it didn't work for me.  I just wasn't prepared.  I took a Hypnobabies class this time around.  Of course I don't know that I'm prepared for this time either, but I feel better about it and like I'll be able to handle things better.  I should also mention though that I didn't have a supportive care provider and I didn't have a doula so it was pretty much all on me (and MH too, but he wasn't nearly as educated as I was).  Part of what I loved about taking the classes this time around was that MH was able to learn right alongside me. 

So, not at all to discourage you.  Like I said, people do it all the time without classes, but for me, they were a must this time!  

Whatever you do, GL!

imagephoto 64bf363d-3af0-4dcc-b880-c06326daa418_zps78d8d389.jpg
    *My Blog*
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

photo 0cc607b9-4233-4842-8175-d093f8f92ca8_zps7cc00875.jpg
    10/50 Read

my read shelf:
    Stephanie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    image1and1is3:

That is encouraging! Thank you :) I am THRILLED that my mom will be with me! She has a calming effect. Plus, she has seen me in pain so it won't phase her if I go all crazy on her :P Not that it would affect a doula either though since they probably see that all the time. 

I did ask about a reduced payment but it was a no-go.  

That stinks that the instructor would not work with you.  You will do great  though with your mom and H supporting you!

• Options
    I felt the same way!  I really wanted to take Bradley classes but we couldn't commit to 12 weeks with our schedule and daughter.  So I read several books on natural childbirth; The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth, Ina May, The Birth Partner to name a few.  Hubby also read parts of The Birth Partner.  I went through it first and highlighted the stuff I felt was important for him to remember and we also went over it together once in a while.  I also watched videos of natural births and coping mechanisms online and that really helped too. I do think the classes would have helped me be a bit more calm but I made it all natural and that was the goal!
    Started TTC in 2007, miscarriage in 2009 and 2010. Adopted our beautiful daughter 2011 and BFP Feb. 2012. Our son was born Oct. 2012! Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers image image
  • Options
    I took the Bradley Classes and loved them. They were money well spent and I'm extremely frugal. I don't think I would have been able to do it naturally without taking classes.

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I really liked the class because it got my husband really involved and on board. He is just not a book reader and it would have been a battle. But, I don't think it is strictly necessary either. But, there are benefits. I know in my area right now there are TONS of provisional Bradley teachers that are teaching for almost nothing. I wonder if you could check into something like that.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Options

I loved the classes for the community they provided. I know that they are not accessable to everyone so it is great to read so many words of encouragement here. I think the more you learn and understand about childbirth, the less fear you bing into the delivery room and the more pleasant your experience will be. So read, read, read!

How wonderful to have your mother by your side. You will do great!

• Options
    I loved the classes for the community they provided. I know that they are not accessable to everyone so it is great to read so many words of encouragement here. I think the more you learn and understand about childbirth, the less fear you bing into the delivery room and the more pleasant your experience will be. So read, read, read! How wonderful to have your mother by your side. You will do great!
  • Options
    I hadn't intended to take any natural birthing classes, but my doctor convinced me that I should. In the end, I'm really glad that I did. I learned a few things that really helped and above all, it really helped ease some of my husband's fears and answered a lot of his questions. We took the classes at the hospital where I was going to deliver and I think it was only 65 dollars for both of us to take the 6 week course.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"