Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Diapers for the breast fed baby

Hello all

I was curious about what diapers you girls have had success with for your newborns that are breastfed. With DS, I used Pampers Swaddlers and then when he was in size 3 (was on solids by that time) I discovered the Target diapers and used them until he was potty trained. With DD, I tried using the Target diapers at first but found that they leaked too much with that runny newborn breast milk poop so I went back to the Pampers. Once she switched to formula and got a little older and was eating some solids, we were able to go back to the Target diapers.

I am wondering if any of you have had success with one of the cheaper brands like Luvs or another store brand with the newborns and their runny poops. We are on a really tight budget for the next five months or so and want to save as much as I possibly can. TIA.

Re: Diapers for the breast fed baby

• Options
    we used size 1 pampers and then switched to huggies for 2's because DS leaked through size 2 pampers. I think it will depend on your kiddo, their size and how the diapers fit. I don't think any one type of diaper is better for BF babies vs FF babies.

My little man at 0-1-2
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Follow Me on Pinterest Pin me baby!
    BabyFruit Ticker http://mamasaywhat.com/

• Options
    imagewatermellens:
    we used size 1 pampers and then switched to huggies for 2's because DS leaked through size 2 pampers. I think it will depend on your kiddo, their size and how the diapers fit. I don't think any one type of diaper is better for BF babies vs FF babies.

Pampers and Huggies cost the same so in this discussion I don't count them as separate options. I'm looking for opinions on a cheaper option.

In my experience with my 2 kids and my nephew I have found BM poops to be runnier than formula poops.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I think it's all about the fit. DS has thinner legs so pampers work for him. Huggies leak because I think they're made for thicker babies. We haven't tried other brands yet but I'm guessing it would be trial and error based on your baby's body type more than the poop. 
  • Options
    We started out with Pampers Swaddlers but then switched to Huggies once they hit size 1 because they contained blow outs a lot better. We tried Luvs but my DD got diaper rash so bad from them, she had open wounds on her skin Sad We're still using Huggies now that they're in size 2 but we don't get the Little Snugglers, we just get the plain ones that are a bit cheaper.
    TTC 12/2009
    Me: 32 - Stage II Endo / DH: 36 - Low count and morphology (1%)
    IUIs 1-3 BFN, lap Dec. 2010, IUIs 4-6 BFN
    IVF w/ICSI #1 - ER 2/8: 24R 19M 9F ET 2/13 2-5 day blasts (no frosties) = BFP - b/g twins!
    E & C Born 10/19/2012
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    C is EBF and hasn't leaked yet in Luvs.  I prefer Pampers because they just feel nicer, but she hasn't had any blowouts in the Luvs either. 
  • Options

I highly recommend cloth diapers for saving money and containing runny newborn poo.  Prefold diapers are really cheap, I have 2 dozen Imagine brand from www.nickisdiapers.com.  You'd also need a 4-6 covers, I like my Blueberry mini coveralls and Thirsties duo size 1's.  

(Imagine prefolds size small are $20.95/dozen, or  $17.95/dozen for newborn size if you are expecting a small baby.  Thirsties duo wrap covers size 1 are about $12.25 each.  So you could easily diaper your newborn for about $100.  And surprisingly to me, there is good resale value to sell them when you are done.)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I only use Pampers, but I have a friend who used Luvs with her BF baby and thought they were comparable.

• Options
    We used NB size Pampers Swaddlers.  When we got to size 1 we used a mix of Swaddlers & Target diapers.  We've been using mostly Target diapers since then and have only had a couple of leaks.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Married 1/2/99.
    TTC since 4/09.
    Diagnosed PCOS. Diagnosed Hypothryoid 11/09.
    SHG & SA normal. PCOS Research study started 5/10.
    Clomid/Femara cycle #1 - 6/10 = BFN
    Clomid/Femara cycle #2 - 7/10 = BFP #1 - Missed miscarriage 9/2/10
    11/12 - BFP #2 - 11/22 - m/c
    5/1/11 - BFP #3 - Pre-eclampsia, IUGR & bed rest from 32w. DD born via induction 1/4/12.
  • Options

imagemonlyn9:
    imagewatermellens:
    Pampers and Huggies cost the same so in this discussion I don't count them as separate options. I'm looking for opinions on a cheaper option. In my experience with my 2 kids and my nephew I have found BM poops to be runnier than formula poops.

do you coupon? I do and can often get Huggies for $3.50 for a jumbo pack. Pampers are more expensive because I don't think they go on sale as often or release coupons with higher value like Huggies. 

My little man at 0-1-2

• Options

imageLoisLane23:
    There aren't different diapers for BF and FF babies.

Yes

My little man at 0-1-2

• Options

imagewatermellens:

This.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I haven't tried them but I have family that swear by Kirkland brand diapers from Costco. We use their wipes and love them. 900 wipes for $16

BFP#1 on 02/14/09 BIRTH to Mason 6lb9oz on 10/12/09

BFP#2 on 5/28/11 EDD 2/1/12 Natural M/C on 6/13/11

BFP#3 on 1/20/12 EDD 9/30/12 Natural m/c on 1/27/12

BFP#4 on 4/23/12 BIRTH to Isabella 7lb1oz on 12/19/12

• Options
    imagewatermellens:

imagemonlyn9:
    imagewatermellens:

Pampers and Huggies cost the same so in this discussion I don't count them as separate options. I'm looking for opinions on a cheaper option.

In my experience with my 2 kids and my nephew I have found BM poops to be runnier than formula poops.

do you coupon? I do and can often get Huggies for $3.50 for a jumbo pack. Pampers are more expensive because I don't think they go on sale as often or release coupons with higher value like Huggies. 

Huggies are more absorbent in my experience so you use fewer too.
    11/27/12
    First Child born

5/5/14 and 6/5/14
    Twins born into Heaven 
    BFP - 4/6/14, due date 12/8/14. First twin M/C at home - 5/5/14, Second twin D&C - 6/5/14

11/14
    Chemical Pregnancy

9/5/15
    Second after severe bleeding for 18 weeks due to subchorionic hematoma

Currently
    Expecting Number 3 due 10/31/2020
  • Options
    We used Pampers first since that's what was given to us at the hospital. Those worked really well. We actually were given a package of Luvs and we happened to use it during his bout of diarrhea which actually worked really well for us. I would recommend them.
    AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I tried every brand I could find at first. The target diapers were ok. The Walmart diapers were ok. Luvs gave LO a major diaper rash. After trying all those we like huggies the best.
    my read shelf:
    Erika's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) Oct Angel Babies Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    With my prior experience working in a daycare, there is a major difference between ff poop and bf poop!! Formula is not completely digested so its definitely not as broken down and runny.

I would love to use our cloth diapers but we got the one size kind and they are still too big on my tiny girl. So for now, we're using luvs. They're not as soft as pampers but do pretty well containing EBF baby poo. We've had a few leaks because she needs a size 1 and we were using up the last few newborn! But we plan on getting size 1 in luvs!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"