Toddlers: 24 Months+

going to sleep without paci - HELP!

my DD bit her paci in half last week, now every time she is ready for a nap or time for bed at night, she cries and cries and cries, and so i've now made the mistake of letting fall asleep in the bed with me, which is a big no no! so I need to break that habit before it starts again. 

Any suggestions on what to do? she cries and screams for at least an hour if I put her in crib to go asleep. it kills me, but i know she needs to learn how to go to sleep on her own, AGAIN. 

Thanks in advance! 

BabyFruit Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: going to sleep without paci - HELP!

• I did away with the paci with both of my kids at about 1.5.  We had to let them cry it out, which totally sucked, but it only took them 2-3 days to adjust.  We gave both kids a "lovey" (stuffed animal or blankie) to replace the paci, which helped.  

I have heard that it is tough to do this with a 2 year old and that it's better to either do it when they are younger or just wait until they are 3 when you can talk to them about it.  If you are ready to deal with it now though, just stick it out.  Sucks but will get better in a few days 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • I used scissors and cut a super tiny hole in DS's paci. After about a week I made the whole a little bigger. Over the course of about 5 or 6 weeks I gradually made the whole larger and soon he lost interest in sucking on it (it was cut over half way down at this point). Worked like a charm. No fight, no protest. This technique made it his choice to give it up. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imageKMS416:
    I used scissors and cut a super tiny hole in DS's paci. After about a week I made the whole a little bigger. Over the course of about 5 or 6 weeks I gradually made the whole larger and soon he lost interest in sucking on it (it was cut over half way down at this point). Worked like a charm. No fight, no protest. This technique made it his choice to give it up. 

I'm due in 5 weeks and at LO's 2 year check up the pedi recommended waiting another 6 mos to take it away because of all the changes.  However, I'm leaning toward using this method before the 6 mos are up. We just lost one of our two "munches" over the holidays, so it may be sooner rather than later.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I took DS's binky away at 13 months.  We literally just took it and he never saw it again one morning.  We let him just cry for a few nights.  He eventually got over it!
    Little Man 1.8.11
    Freshie Girl 9.29.12
  • We were (and still are) kind of in the same boat.  We got rid of DD's paci when she was 2.5.  To ease her with the transition, one of us sat outside her room, with her door open, so she could see that we were there, until she fell asleep.  We also gave her a lovey.  Well, it is 1 year later and we're still doing this, every night!!! I sit far enough away from the door to where she can barely see me, but she knows I'm there.  I know we need to wean her from this habit but honestly, it's better than her sleeping in bed with us.  At least she is in her own bed.  Sometimes (not often) she'll wake up in middle of the night and want one of us to stay in her room or sit outside the door...usually I'll just lay down beside her bed until she falls asleep.  GL!  It's hard getting rid of the paci! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"