Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Three month old cries whenever I leave his sight.

My son is just a little over three months old and for the past few weeks he's started crying every time I leave his line of sight, even if it's only for a moment. When he first started this, I would immediately run back to him and calm him down. I'm beginning to wonder if this is a phase or have I spoiled him? I know there is big debate over whether or not babies this age can be spoiled and I'm not sure what I think about it - sometimes it sure seems as though he is, lol!

He also does it when he is in his car seat and no one sits in the back with him. If I ride back there when my husband drives, he's absolutely fine, looking at me and smiling, but if I'm alone and have to drive he cries the whole time until we get where we're going and I can get to him. Even if I talk to him or play the radio he is inconsolable until he sees me again.

What I've started doing when I know I have to do something and can't hold him is putting him down somewhere safe and just letting him cry while I get it done but if it takes very long at all (I'm talking the time it takes to make a bottle or go to the bathroom or get laundry out of the dryer) he is soon full out screaming and very upset. I don't know what to do anymore. I want to show up that I'll always be there when he needs me, and that anytime I leave I will be back, but I don't know exactly how to do that. Should I let him cry while I do my chores or should I rush to him to console him?  

Re: Three month old cries whenever I leave his sight.

• Options
    I have no advice on how to solve the situation, but have you tried wearing him to allow you to do things around the house?  My ds can get clingy at times and if I need to get something done I pop him in the Ergo and he's happy as a clam in there.  I also have a place in each room where I can safely put him, for instance I keep his bouncer in the kitchen so I can place him in there when I need to make him a bottle.  Since he can see me he stays calm.  
  • Options
    My LO has recently started doing this and I am pretty sure it's just a phase.  I think it's separation anxiety beginning.  I let her cry...that may seem mean but she "forgets" about it in about a minute or less and goes back to playing w/ her toys.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    slseburn - I do have one of those do-hickeys that allow you to strap baby to you (I think it's my evenflo but not quite sure) and I tried it once or twice but my son seemed uncomfortable in it and it also put strain on my lower back which I have trouble with from time to time anyhow. Now that he is 14+ pounds I really don't think it'll be convenient for either of us, haha. Thank you for the suggestions! 
  • Options
    laurenhankey - I think you're right, it probably is some kind of separation anxiety, he probably hasn't quite figured out that just because he can't see me doesn't mean I have disappeared for good, lol. Now that he is getting to a stage where he can actually hold things I may try laying him down with a toy and letting him cry it out. Thanks for your input!
  • Options
    I'd try a different carrier.
    11/27/12
    First Child born

5/5/14 and 6/5/14
    Twins born into Heaven 
    BFP - 4/6/14, due date 12/8/14. First twin M/C at home - 5/5/14, Second twin D&C - 6/5/14

11/14
    Chemical Pregnancy

9/5/15
    Second after severe bleeding for 18 weeks due to subchorionic hematoma

Currently
    Expecting Number 3 due 10/31/2020
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"