June 2012 Moms
Options

What's your LO's soothie?

My son has been for the most part a great sleeper. He goes to bed between 8:30 and 9 and was sleeping until 7. The last two weeks though he's been up at 5:30 but wakes up ornery and still tired. I tried making his bed time earlier but he still woke up at 5:30 none the happier. On Christmas Eve he didn't get to bed until 10:30 and still woke up at 5:30. This morning I didn't go get him and after he CIO for 25 min fell back to sleep until 7. Then he woke up happy. I'm just wondering if a soothie would help him get back to sleep better and what other little ones have.

Re: What's your LO's soothie?

• Options

DD is a thumb sucker and has been since about 10 weeks or so. It's nice because she really only sucks her thumb when she is sleepy. As soon as I lay her down, she pops it in. She still wakes up between 1 & 2 times a night, but it beats the waking every 2 hours thing, so I'm not complaining!

BUT our mornings are a lot like you are describing. She gets up between 5 or 5:30 and won't self-soothe. Most days, this works because we leave the house for daycare at 6:30. On non-daycare mornings, like today, I just get up with her at 5:30. We play for a bit downstairs, I nurse her, we play some more. Then she starts rubbing her eyes at about 6:45. I put her back in her crib and she'll sleep for anywhere from 1 - 3 hours. I'd be getting up at 5:30 regardless so it's not a huge deal for me, but I totally understand if you're used to sleeping longer! Hope other moms can give you some better advice :)

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I don't really mind what time we have to get up I just want him to be happy when he wakes up and I know that at 5:30 he's not ready to be awake yet. When I get up with him at 5:30 he's ready to go back down at 6:30 or 7 but we have to leave at 7:30 MWF.

He sometimes chews on his thumb but he didn't ever have that need to suck. He won't take a paci either. I just miss him waking up talking to himself lol
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    LO has a little owl blaket that super super soft that she rubs on her face until she falls asleep and sucks on her 2 fingers on the other hand.  She only uses this in the swing when we are up so I can monitor her so she doesn't cover her face w/ it.  At bed time we let her fall asleep w/ it then we take it from her.  Sleeps all night and wakes up smiley and happy :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

DD1 has that musical seahorse that she got for her first birthday. She never took to it, so I put it in DD2's crib one night and she drifted right off to sleep.

Some nights when she wakes up we can go in there and turn it on and she will fall back asleep within minutes.

As for waking up early. I am in the same boat. DD2 consistently wakes up between 5-5:30 everyday and since I am nursing, I am the one that has to get up. Every once and awhile she will fall back asleep and I can put her back in her crib, but 98% of the time, she is up for the day. I would try and move her bed time later, but by 6:30pm, she is rubbing her eyes and getting cranky, so I have no interest in trying to keep her up later.

I am just hoping that daylights savings time gets here sooner rather than later!

"Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body."
    Goodbye little angel(7/22/2011)....see you in heaven
    Goodbye my second angel (9/18/2011)
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    She doesn't have one. She's doing just fine without one too. I imagine this will become real helpful for my own sanity eventually.
  • Options

imageSamiantha101:
    She doesn't have one. She's doing just fine without one too. I imagine this will become real helpful for my own sanity eventually.

I hate to say it, but just wait.

DD1 never had any soothie's either, but at about 2.5 everything became a soothie. She now has what we call her "entourage" that she has to have to go to sleep. Just because baby doesn't have one now, doesn't mean she won't later on.

"Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body."
    Goodbye little angel(7/22/2011)....see you in heaven
    Goodbye my second angel (9/18/2011)
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Something like a musical light is a good idea. We had a noise maker/ ceiling projector but the motor won't turn anymore. I kind of forgot about that actually. It broke when he was two months. I just like the idea of him being able to hold on to something too though, like a small teddy or blanket square. He rolls and moves himself all over his crib. He can crawl and pull himself up in there too so I'm not too worried about something like that being a danger.
  • Options

My LO uses this:

https://www.target.com/p/circo-sporty-boy-security-blanket/-/A-13878118#prodSlot=medium_1_53&term=security blanket 

He loves it!

Word of caution,  buy more than 1 if he gets attached to it in case 1 gets lost.  :) 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers image
  • Options
    We have a Bunnies by the Bay Bud's Buddy Blanket. Actually, we have 2 so one is available while the other gets washed. They are kinda pricey, but a friend gave me the first one. Her DS has had his for 18 months now and they have held up through a lot of washing. My DS isn't so attached to it that he has to have it to sleep, but it does help keep his busy little hands from pulling the paci out when he's trying to fall asleep.

• Options
    She doesn;t have one for sleeping at night, but she goes in between her glowing sea horse, a stuffed horse and a glow worm.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options
    So far all she needs is some white noise. We have the Ocean Wonders Aquarium. I just wish the batteries lasted longer.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagemylittlesunshine:

imageSamiantha101:

I hate to say it, but just wait.

DD1 never had any soothie's either, but at about 2.5 everything became a soothie. She now has what we call her "entourage" that she has to have to go to sleep. Just because baby doesn't have one now, doesn't mean she won't later on.

I'm crossing my fingers, but I know I'm not out of range quite yet. She just doesn't seem to have developed a precedence for anything but food yet.
  • Options
    I struggle a lot in this dept because I went back to work when my son was just over 4 mo and now I have stopped working around 6.5 mo, it was not working out AT ALL, but that's a different topic all together. In the 2 mo that I spent working out if the house I have not been able to get my son on a sched. My husband doesn't particularly care for routines and my M.I.L. watched the baby and basically let him run the show.

Now I feel like I'm starting all over again. He goes down between 9 to 10, used to wake up around 3 to 4, change, nurse and fall fast asleep, and then I would wake him 7:30 to nurse before leaving for work M thru F.

Not anymore! The last 2 wks he is getting up 3 and 4 times. I'm so tired that I no longer return him to his bed. We're back to the family bed routine w/ no cuddling for mom and dad.

My son pretty much stopped taking naps during the day when I went back to work, which has impacted his growth.

Today was day 1 of being back to home alone with the little guy. I changed his bath time to the morning and he took 3 naps, 45 to 60 min ea w/o his nature music, and I altered his feeding sched, so hopefully this works tonight. I am playing his nature music, which he LOVES, in the night to obtain a deeper sleep, fingers crossed. We will see. Any other suggestions.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"