Preemies

My first experience with being "over the top"

Ugh.  In addition to everyone at BILs house being sick...MIL is also sick.  She was supposed to stop by tomorrow but we have told her because she is sick that it will have to wait until after she is feeling better.  I was talking to my aunt and telling her about it (and how my MIL was trying to play it off like she wasn't sick which REALLY pissed me off) and my aunt said "I think you are being a little over the top".  I explained to her that no, I am not being over the top...it is the middle of flu and RSV season and it is not worth LO ending up back in the hospital.  I also said that even if she was FT, she still would only be a month and a half old and we probably wouldn't risk it in that situation either.  She still thought I was being too overprotective about it and that pisses me off.  I was actually about to cry when she was telling me I was over reacting.  Of course she threw in that I "am the mother and she respects my decisions" but I am still mad.  People just don't understand.  They don't know what it's like to have a baby int he NICU...it is the last place anyone ever wants to end up back in again especially when it is preventable.  Ugh.  Preemie parents are the only ones who understand.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: My first experience with being "over the top"

• I agree with CurlingRocks.  You did everything right.  RSV and flu are out in full force, earlier than anticipated.  We even have to compound Tamiflu because we can't get enough from the manufacturer for the kid's formulation.

I know how hard it is when people don't understand, especially family members.  DH's brothers and their wives don't really get it.  DH's mother used to not get it, until she saw Adalyn have one of her brady episodes during a feed (about 3 weeks after we got her home) and how she turned blue, we had to turn up the oxygen, etc.  Now, she gets it.  She may not understand it, but she realizes that she doesn't know anything about having to deal with a baby that was in the NICU and doesn't try to tell me what she would do. 

As hard as it is, you've got to let it roll off of you and just know that what you are doing is the best thing for your baby.  GL and Merry Christmas!

TTC Since July 2008.
    Me: PCOS DH: Low everything (MFI)
    Clomid with TI x 3 2010 BFN
    Clomid+IUI+Ovidrel 2010 BFN
    IVF w/ICSI #1 2011
    9/8/11 Beta #1: 2082!! 9/19/11 Beta#2 34,689!! U/S 9/22/11 HR 127! 11/8/11 HR 150! 12/6/11 HR 136! 12/14/11 HR 139! Born at 26w2d on 2/4/2012! After 83 days in the NICU, Adalyn came home on 4/26/12!
    FET 1 3/2013 BFN
    FET 2 5/2013 BFN
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • I've been the exact same way with people. I don't care if it makes them mad, it's my child and I don't want her to have to be back in the hospital. You'd think people would have more sense and respect, but they don't. You're not being over the top. You're being a good mom. :) 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • You'll just have to ignore the people (and there are lots of them!) who don't get it.  I agree, they all don't know what it's like having a LO in the NICU.  My friend even had her son at full-term the same week I had my daughter at 31 weeks, and her son got RSV when they got home and went back into the hospital for a week.  He was full term!  Just stay away from the sick people and if someone in their home is sick -- your baby comes first -- before other peoples feelings :)
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"