Single Parents
Options

How long did your divorce take?

We are doing a standard divorce. I was hoping to just do a dissolution, but apparantly since the papers were filled its technically already a divorce. STBX and I seem to agree on everything. How long should I expect this to take? I'm ready to get on with my life. Oh also I'm in Ohio.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: How long did your divorce take?

• Options

I think it just depends on how long you each take to respond to negotiations & how clogged the court system is in your county. I know my cousin kept having her court date moved because they would put too many people on the docket for that day-- she'd show up and then was told it would be another month before they'd go before the judge again. (They had a very contested divorce, though.)

There are 4 family court judges in my county-- my lawyer estimated it would take around 8 months IF DH and I didn't take long to settle everything. (I'm pursing quite a few standard agreements, too, but DH will probably fight for more custody than every other weekend.) He was served the papers last week & has 30 days to respond to the complaint. I hope it doesn't take that long!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I've had friends that had ink drying on their papers within 3 months, and others 3 years.... depends how busy the court system is that month and other things
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Mine was final in 60 days. 
    "Before cancer I just lived, now I LIVESTRONG"- Lance Armstrong. Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imagekayladay:
    Mine was final in 60 days. 

oh i hope this is the case!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Mine is going on 18 months and still not finalized yet...
  • Options

I'm in CA and mine took about 13 months including the fact that we didn't agree on many things right away (mostly me objecting to him wanting alimony, yes I ended up paying HIM alimony). 

I think it's probably going to be hard for anyone to give you a real estimate but if you both agree on everything then I think it's safe to say it should be pretty quick compared to most.

Good luck to you...

• Options
    We agreed on all the terms prior to filing, so it was an uncontested divorce. It took just over 3 months from initial filing to our final hearing. I have some other acquaintences who filed in January of this year WITHOUT kids and theirs is still not final because they are fighting over property. Like the others said, it would depend on your state laws and waiting periods, how jammed the court is with cases and whether or not you agree on the terms.
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"