Parenting after a Loss
Options

Dog vs. Carpet. NBR

Some of you may remember me talking about my sick dog Sammy.  I won't rehash the whole thing but the short story is that he's been sick since September. Still have no idea what his diagnosis is. Over 5k in medical bills. Over $300 in carpet cleaning. Where does it stop?  I honestly don't know what to do?? 

Started with throw up. Now it's diarrhea. He hasn't had a solid stool since coming home from the ER hospital. (on Halloween).  My nursery is ruined. My living room is ruined. My basement carpet is ruined. We had to rip up the carpet in the basement because he was sneaking down there and we didn't realize it. (that room is torn up because it's being renovated so we don't really go in there right now).

Full house steam cleaned on 10/06.  Two rooms steam cleaned on 12/10. Two rooms steam cleaned on 12/21.  

Earlier, I'm on the couch with DD. DS is playing at the table with playdough.  I smell something. I investigate and he's pooped all over DS's bedroom floor! I am beyond ticked at this point.  We have a carpet cleaner but it doesn't do the job like a professional and they just cleaned YESTERDAY!!!!  

I cannot afford to rip up all our flooring and replace it. I'm already replacing carpet in the basement that we did not plan to replace!  The worst part .. he's doing it when we are all up sitting around.. he never even begs to go out and we already let him out like a million times a day trying to avoid this! 

I have no idea what to do. The vet said try immodium. He's been on 2 pills 2x daily for 3 days.. no change.

1. thought about kenneling.. but Sammy will honestly poop on himself in a kennel. He used to do that when he was kenneled.

2. Thought about those bed mats you can buy.. like the goodnites for kids.. but I would seriously have to cover my entire house!

3. thought about paint tarps but same thing.. I would literally have to cover my entire house. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Dog vs. Carpet. NBR

• Options
    Crappy situation, no pun intended. I have a coworker who went thru an almost identical situation, though her dog was young. Vomiting and then constant diarrhea. Thousands in vet bills and no answers or diagnosis. She was about at the end of her rope emotionally when he unexpectedly died...his body just gave up.
    Is it possible to confine the dog in a small area kitchen and living room or something using baby gates/pens and then cover the floors in that area?

BFP: 7/5/10   EDD: 3/13/11  Miscarriage 8/1/10 at 8 weeks

BFP: 10/30/10   EDD: 7/7/11   Born 7/11//11 7lb12oz, 20 in.

BFP: 7/30/13  EDD: 4/9/14 Born right on time on his due date! 8lb10oz, 21.5 in.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Awesome prophetic fortune cookie: Love is a present that can be given every single day you live

• Options

Sammy's not old either.. that's whats been hard about it too. He's only 7. Initially, docs thought he had kidney failure. 2nd opinion proved that to be false. All his labs are way way improved. His organ levels are all normal again. His red bloods are normal again. His white are still elevated slightly but they said that's normal with prednisone. He's had xrays and ultrasounds and iv's and labs after labs after labs.. we can't find anything.  When we took him in.. he was 71lbs and not eating or drinking. Now he's back up to almost 100lbs (normal for him) and eating and drinking and acting like his normal hyper self.  

On top of that, my mother paid 4k for the ER hospital. We paid 1k for his normal vet bills plus all the carpet cleaning .. not to mention the special food we had to buy which wasn't included in the vet bills.

sooo I have my mom telling me that he's her investment and I can't let anything happen to him. I mean obviously I love my animal so I'm not going to hurt him but I'm extremely frustrated.

We could keep him in the basement which is a cement floor right now and does have a door.. but Sammy with bark and bark and bark until he can bark no more! He will literally bark all day and there's no easy way outside from there so it would be a total pain. More than cleaning this.. I don't know.. probably a toss up.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    A this point I'd suggest trying a new vet?  I'm sorry that really sounds awful.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 

CafeMom Tickers

Married the love of my life 7/11/09 - Our first baby, Peyton Mark, was born sleeping 10/25/11 at 33 weeks - Our second baby, BFP 2/4/12, welcome to the world Raylan! Holy Moly, BPF 2/4/14, please be safe and sound little one!

My Blog

• Options
    Diapers? I have no advice, really. Lucky (my almost 11 month old pup) is pretty good about doing his business outside. I had to kennel him once when he had diahrrea, it was all over him and his kennel. I took the entire thing outside (him inside) and hosed him and the kennel. He hates water. We found out that it was his food that was making him terribly sick. He can only have CHEAP dog food, either from Hy-Vee or Best Choice, yes my dog is strange, but all other food except Science Diet make him sick. Have you tried different food?
    I have short term memory loss. Do not take it personally if I do not remember you right away.
    No longer trying to conceive at all.
    BFP #1 12/1/02 DD born 7/25/03 
    BFP #2 7/23/10 EDD 3/30/11 m/c 8/17/10 We will always miss you Angelique Marie! 
     BFP #3 4.13.11 EDD 12.18.11 m/c 5/13/11 d&c 5/18/11 We will always miss you Sprout Ryker! 
     Lucky Lee (furbaby) born 1.29.12 
     Midnight Marie (furbaby) born 7.4.12 passed for unknown reasons 9.19.12 Missing my jumping bean. 
    image image
    image image
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    ♥♥ Pg/PAL Welcome! ♥♥ 
    http://indulgy.com/post/4gbObIOiC1/bazinga
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"