Food Allergy
Options

Question about food labels

What do you think of labels that do not include anything in the ingredient list that I need to avoid, but then at the end says " may contain milk, soy, peanuts, tree nuts"
I'm specifically talking about some bread from Target. Would you eat it?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Question about food labels

• Options

it depends on how sensitive you/baby are to cross-contamination.  Those "may contain" labels usually refer to shared equipment and/or made in a facility that processes the allergens.

I am not sensitive to cross contamination, so I will usually eat it.  But I'm the one with the allergy, and I know what I'm getting myself into.

• Options
    we do not avoid those products and have never had a problem.  but, it would depend on the severity of the allergy.  when ds was initially diagnosed we avoided those products, quickly realized that it was next to impossible to find labels without those warnings and decided to give it a shot.  he has never had a problem, so we only avoid products with actual allergens in the ingredients
    DS1 10/5/09 Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

In general, most breads contain milk so I would assume that the bread from Target does contain milk/and or soy. I have learned that the Applegate Farms brand does sell dairy and soy free bread. And I've heard that Target sells that brand. I know Whole Foods sells dairy and soy free bread too. 

But if it is a product that I know is usually safe, I would eat it.  

• Options
    I personally would not. DD is very sensitive and anything made in the same facility or shared equipment would (and has) trigger her allergies. 
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"