Pregnant after 35
Options

Testing Question

My Doctor mentioned that towards the end of my pregnancy I will be going to the hospital for some testing due to my age (38 in a month), does anyone happen to know what tests are going to be done?

Thank you in advance and MERRY CHRISTMAS! 

Re: Testing Question

• Options
    That's pretty vague. I'm already 38 and my doctor hasn't done much more than recommend genetic testing and a little extra blood work (to monitor my thyroid function during the pregnancy) because of my age. She has not mentioned one thing about more than normal testing anywhere near the end of the pregnancy...
    *********************************************************************************************

"You have to do your own growing no matter how tall your grandfather was." 
            -- Abraham Lincoln

Me:39  MH:39 
    DD born 6/1/2013 after 15 months of TTC with one loss.    
    TTC #2: BFP 4/22 but stalled growth and no HB at 9w3d on 5/30        

<a href="http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/3a2798" style="font-size:smaller;" >
    <br /> My Ovulation Chart</a>

• Options
    All testing due to maternal age is in the beginning. Maybe non stress tests? My OB talked about doing them toward the end because I was pregnant with twins.
    Pregnancy Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Most likely an NST (non-stress test).  They hook you up to one of those fetal monitors around your belly for awhile to make sure the baby is doing ok.  Most docs don't have the equipment in their offices, so they send you to L&D at the hospital to get it done.  Sometimes they do an ultrasound at the same time to check on the baby and make sure your fluid level is ok.  Nothing to worry about. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

That's interesting.  I'm 38 and my doctor hasn't mentioned any special end-of-pregnancy testing.  As PPs mentioned, it must be an NST since genetic testing is done much earlier.  I would ask your doctor why they think it's necessary - I don't think it's standard in most offices to do one unless they suspect a problem, even if we are AMA moms.  It seems like it's just extra cost to you and your insurance company for no good reason (and AMA is not really a good reason to do an NST IMHO).  You will also I'm sure be doing the gest. diabetes test around 28 weeks, but everyone has to do that regardless of age.  Anyways, yeah if I were you I would question this one.  Best of luck!

Melissa

Me - 38 DH - 38 DD - 2 pregnancy
  • Options
    Thanks ladies! The NST sounds like what they were talking about, of course my brain isn't working! Thank u for the description that makes me feel better! 
  • Options
    I had a NST with my daughter and I wasn't 35 yet. I thought it was standard to get one near the end of pregnancy regardless of age. My doc does have the equipment in her office so I didn't have to go to the hospital for the test.

6 year old daughter

Fraternal boys born on May 11, 2013 at 36 weeks 4 days

• Options
    Other than a non-stress test (which is no biggie), the only other test at the end of pregnancy is a Group B Strep test at around 36 weeks. If you test positive you may have to get some antibiotics during labor.
    Over-40 parents...what we lack in vigor, we make up for with cunning.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"