Baby Showers

Shower at your home (but not the host)?

Neither my mother nor my MIL are able to host my shower at their homes and my sister still lives in an apartment in the city, so that's not a good location either. Yesterday, some friends who are helping to plan the shower approached DH  to ask about having my shower at our house.  They said that they (and presumably my sister) would do all the work (decorating, bringing food and drink, cleaning up).  At first I didn't love the idea, but thinking on it it honestly might be easier than having to transport all the baby stuff- plus family members, friends and co-workers who don't necessarily know one another should feel pretty comfortable in my home, since they have all been there at one time or another.  

What would you think of being invited to a shower at the home of the mom-to-be (if the invitation were issued by others)?  Has anyone had this for their own shower?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic View Full Size Image
BFP#1 11/12/11 ~ No heartbeat 12/12/11 ~ D&C 12/19/11
BFP#2 3/25/12 ~ Heartbeat 141 4/16/12 ~ No heartbeat 4/25/12 ~ D&C 04/30/12 
BFP#3 7/16/12 ~ EDD 3/26/13 ~ It's a BOY ~ DOB 2/26/13

Re: Shower at your home (but not the host)?

• I see no problem with this!
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• I hosted one at the Mom to Be's house, and like you said it was actually more convenient for the guest of honor.  We (the hostesses) brought all the food, helped clean the house, and cleaned up when it was done.  Plus, everyone got to see the nursery which was fun too.  All the mom to be had to do was get ready.

My sisters are hosting shower for me at my house in Feb/Mar after the baby is born, and we're doing it at my house, so I don't have to worry about the nursing and nap schedule.  Because we just moved a couple of weeks ago, most of my friends haven't seen our house yet either.  It kind of kills two birds with one stone for me. 

Me: unexplained infertility - annovulatory DH: testicular cancer survivor!! TTC since June 2009 BFP May 11, 2012 EDD January 24, 2013 June 1, 2012 - first u/s, heartbeat 124 BPM!! June 22, 2012 - heard the heartbeat 9w1d 181 BPM!! 24 hours of labor, 4 1/2 hours of pushing, and IT'S A BOY! Welcome to the world my miracle, we prayed and prayed for you, and we can't believe you're here!
  • Loading the player...
  • Mine will also be at my house. My sister is hosting and lives with my mom whose house doesn't have the space for a shower. Like you, having friends and family that don't all know each other this helps put it in a more neutral place so everyone can feel comfortable. I definitely like the idea of not having to transport gifts however small or big they are.

• I had one at my house it was so nice not to have to load the gifts in and out of the car! Everyone was comfortable and really enjoyed seeing the nursery too.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • There is no problem with this at all in my opinion.  Actually it would have been great not worrying about hauling all of the gifts home. 
    11/2010 Diagnosed with PCOS 
    10/31/11 M/C at 9 weeks
    1/12/13 DD was born
    4/9/16 DS was born 
    9/17 CP 
    6/23/18 BFP EDD 3/4/19 

• I've really been seeing it more and more.  I've hosted showers at the MTB's homes and it was fine.  I was definitely the host and I doubt anyone thought it was weird or tacky or against etiquite.  I don't feel strange at all when invited to a MTB's home...I can see very well who's name is on the invite as the hostess...plus everything is run by the hostess at the shower.

It is definitely more convenient for the MTB to not have to transfer gifts...even though that has never been a reason for any of the showers I've attended or hosted.  Usually it is a space issue...sometimes the mom is on bedrest and it was just easier.

• My shower was at my house.  It was a going to be a surprise but my son came a bit early and we ended up having it the day we came home from the hospital.  I think it worked out really well.  We didn't have to worry about taking the baby out of the house at 2 days old.  We got quite a few gifts and it was great not having to worry about transporting them home.  We received a crib and my BIL set it up in the nursery for us before they left that day, which was really helpful.  My family cleaned up before they left too.  Overall, I think it's a great idea.  
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • I think it will work out great!
  • So long as that party is being hosted by others-- you are totally fine.  Have a fun shower!

BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• I don't see anything wrong with it. I have 6 friends hosting my shower and we are using my house. 3 of them live in a 1 bedroom apt and the others live out of town. They are planning everything and everyone will enjoy getting to see the nursery.
  • Thanks, ladies!  I guess this is more common than I'd thought.  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic View Full Size Image
    BFP#1 11/12/11 ~ No heartbeat 12/12/11 ~ D&C 12/19/11
    BFP#2 3/25/12 ~ Heartbeat 141 4/16/12 ~ No heartbeat 4/25/12 ~ D&C 04/30/12 
    BFP#3 7/16/12 ~ EDD 3/26/13 ~ It's a BOY ~ DOB 2/26/13

• I wouldn't think twice about it - my friends threw my shower at my house and it worked out great. I was on modified bed rest so it was nice to be "comfortable", not have to worry about transporting gifts, etc.

TTC 12/2009
    Me: 32 - Stage II Endo / DH: 36 - Low count and morphology (1%)
    IUIs 1-3 BFN, lap Dec. 2010, IUIs 4-6 BFN
    IVF w/ICSI #1 - ER 2/8: 24R 19M 9F ET 2/13 2-5 day blasts (no frosties) = BFP - b/g twins!
    E & C Born 10/19/2012
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • My shower was at my house. The shower was hosted by BFF and a few other friends who all live over an hour away in different directions. It was either host it at my house or pay to host it at a restaurant or something. It worked our really well for us because DH and I had just moved into this house in July and it was the first time for a lot of friends and family to see our new house, so it kind of served a double purpose which was awesome.
  • FWIW, my friends hosted a shower at my house. Both of them live way out in the country (about an hour away from me for 1, 45 mins for the other). My place was the best location. I was kicked out of my house for about 2 hours so they could decorate and do w/e. It was so nice once they shower was over to not have to go anywhere. Hubby was hiding out upstairs so he came down at the end to say hi and get food. Then we sorted through everything and he took what needed to go to the nursery upstairs and left the rest to be washed or w/e. Sooooo easy and nice. And I got to leave the decorations up afterwards, it's been 22 days and I still have some of them up!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Mine was at my house. It is a great space for entertaining. I woke up early to clean and help with setup and was quite tired by the time the brunch started. Yes it was nice not having to transport all those gifts but if I had to do over I would have declined the request to hold it at my house.
  • The majority of showers I've attended have been at the home of the "parents to be." I think it's fine, and as Bliss+Berry stated, the guests, (including myself) loved checking out the nursery.
    TTC#1 Oct 2010
    DS born May 2013
    TFAS Feb 2016
    EDD 07/29/2017
  • I've been to showers at mom to be's house (it was not hosted by them).  I think it's a good idea. 

R&K married 4.15.11. TTC #1 since 7.11.12

BFP #1 9.9.12 EDD 5.21.13 c/p 9.12.12 at 4 weeks 1 day

BFP #2 10.15.12 EDD 6.28.13 c/p 10.19.12 at  4 weeks.

BFP #3 1.19.13 EDD 10.1.13 Eleanor born 10.7.13 at 40 weeks 6 days

13dpo hcg@32, progesterone@13.7, 15dpo hcg@110, 16dpo progesterone@25.9

My blog:Urban Times in Michigan ~ My Bfp Chart

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I offered my house up for my shower -- I have the space and nobody else does, and I love having people in my home.  I have been to many showers in the mother-to-be's house, thrown by somebody else.  I think it is totally fine.

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"