June 2011 Moms
Options

Potty training

Hey ladies, I don't post too much here anymore, but I hope you don't mind me asking what all of the June '11 mommas are doing in the potty training department if anything...

I asked awhile back, because DD was telling me when she was going to the bathroom- she doesn't talk much yet, but she will pat her diaper and say 'uh-oh'. I bought her a little seat that goes on ours about two weeks ago, and she has done REALLY well, her second time on it she pooped. I hadn't really planned on trying to potty train her with a newborn around, I was hoping to wait a little closer to 2- however if she's ready, I feel like I can't deny it. Anyways, I always put her on first thing in the morning, and after naps and whenever she tells me during the day. Its hit or miss, somedays she'll go multiple times, other days not at all. Im not trying to push it, but Im kind of confused as to what to do next... Should I just keep on doing what we are doing now for awhile, or should I try to get her to go to the bathroom on the potty 100% of the time? She's only 18mo, and not talking yet- but CLEARLY knows when she's going, and lets me know. Anyone else starting to potty train??

Those who don't believe in love at first sight, have never given birth
Big sister meeting little brother for the first time-
<a href="http://s326.photobucket.com/albums/k409/YellowMiles/?action=view

Re: Potty training

• Options

We're not anywhere close to that (DD isn't giving any obvious signals), but a friend of mine recently suggested we buy a potty seat and start putting her on it now just to get her used to it.  She said some kids are scared of it, so it's good just to let them sit on it without the intention of them going to the bathroom.  She started out with putting her kids on it before baths when she was drawing the water.

Sounds like you're doing something similar with specific times.  I am no pro, but it seems like you have the right idea!  Hopefully someone with potty training experience will reply. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

My baby center email at 18 months said something about it not being uncommon for kids around this age to get interested in potty training.  It suggested encouraging the behavior and buying a potty seat.

In the last few weeks DD is very interested in her diaper.  She will pull at it and I'm trying to teach her "wet"  "pee pee" and "poo poo".  Right now my plan is just to talk about it a lot and once the holidays are over I'll buy the potty seats and go from there.  Everything I have ever heard is to follow the child's lead, which is what I plan to do.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I think just keep doing what you are doing. It sounds like she's getting the right idea, you are on the right track! :)

If you are going to make any changes, maybe get pull-ups. They are alot easier to get on and off, especially with a toddler standing by a toilet. Our DD always tries to put her own pull-up on, it's pretty cute. And I think the pull-ups let them feel when they have gone a little more than a regular diaper.

But I am no expert, we are actually at about the same spot as you, it sounds like. But my plan is just to keep letting our DD figure it out, since she seems to be doing that anyway. And just encouraging her, we put her on the potty throughout the day and give her a sticker every time she uses it. The last couple of days, she's been sick, so we haven't had much success, but I think once she's feeling better, we will get right back on track.

July 2015 Jan Siggy Challenge: Snow Fails/Funnies

BFP #5 11/15/14, Team Green EDD 7/22/15

BFP #4 4/30/13, baby girl born med-free Jan. 2014

BFP #3 9/24/12, Missed m/c at 9w1d (baby measured 8w5d)

BFP #2 9/23/10, healthy baby girl born med-free June 2011

BFP #1 5/21/10, Missed m/c at 10w4d (baby measured 8wks), D&C 6/29/10

"Life is like a camera, just focus on what's important and capture the good times, develop from the negatives and if things don't work out, just take another shot."

• Options
    Hey! No need to apologize- you certainly have your hands full these days! I have no potty training advice, but just wanted to say that it's good to see your beautiful siggy pics!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

We've been doing part time elimination communication since he was about 7 months old. He signs "toilet" when he has to go to the bathroom, and almost always goes at least pee when I put him on there. He poops on the toilet about 70% of the time. I think your next step, if you want to take a slow, following her lead approach is to teach her the sign or a word to indicate when she has to go. I've been really surprised by how well he's able to tell me and then wait until I get him to the toilet. I'd always been told that boys just didn't have the muscles developed yet for potty training, but I'm not sure I believe that anymore. He's definitely no where near being night potty trained though, and that's fine by me.

Anyway, yea...I'd say keep doing what you're doing! We have both a over the toilet seat and a potty chair. I keep the potty chair in our room so that if he has to go while I'm getting ready he can. I usually let him walk around naked while I'm getting ready, and he'll just sit on the potty and pee. I've been starting to think about trying to find a cloth version of pull ups. I don't think he's really ready for training pants or underwear yet, but I'd love something easier to take on and off in a public bathroom, and something he could potentially pull down himself. 

Glad you popped in! Your siggy is so sweet! Congratulations again! 

My food & craft blog: Fraises et Tartines

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    BFP #2: 9/29/12; EDD 6/8/2013; m/c 10/5/2012

BFP#3: 1/29/13; EDD 10/5/2013 - Baby Claire arrived 10/6/2013
  • Options

At DD's 18 month appointment this week, the pediatrician recommended delaying potty training until around 2-2.5 years. She said that although they can be potty trained earlier, it usually takes a longer amount of time if you do it before that age. She said after that age, it usually only takes 2 days and that it's a much easier process then!

We do have a potty chair in our bathroom that DD likes to sit on when I go to the bathroom. I put it there so she is familiar with it when the time comes to start really using it. A friend of mine recommended doing that because it helped a lot with her children. 

BabyFruit Ticker

DH: 34/Me: 35
    Married: Feb 2008
    DD: June 2011
    TTC# 2: April 2014
    BFP!! 8/29/16 --> EDD: 5/11/17....it's a GIRL!!! :)
  • Options
    We haven't started but our LO is in the process of training us when he has to go.  He loves dumping his toilet into the larger one then flushing.

• Options

March- My Pediatrician said not to try now either, (<-- This was just brought up in general, she was not going before this appointment) but I just feel like I can't ignore her if she's coming to me and telling me. 

I guess I'll just follow her lead, I'd rather not drag it out and wait but I don't want her to lose interest. Glad to hear other June '11 LOs are starting to show interest- Our babies are getting too big.... Where did the time go?

Those who don't believe in love at first sight, have never given birth
    Big sister meeting little brother for the first time-
    <a href="http://s326.photobucket.com/albums/k409/YellowMiles/?action=view
  • Options
    DD has been signing "poop" since about 14 mos of age. We tried potty training then aka rushing her to the bathroom when she tells us but we got lazy and inconsistent because soon she was signing and actually then saying "poop" even when she doesn't have to go. She would be on the potty for 1 second and say "done" when nothing was actually done. We got tired/lazy of responding to it so we stopped. About 3 weeks ago she stopped signing it or vocalizing about it. Uh oh...we're in trouble now. I  feel like this set back is going to make potty training difficult.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

When Z goes to the bathroom she looks at me and goes "uh oh I poo" or "uh oh pee pee" It's so cute LOL I *just* ordered a potty seat for her and it should be here after the holidays. I'm kind of excited to see how she takes to it. Last week I asked her if she had to poo because she was getting a look on her face, and she turned around and ran into the bathroom on our main level. But as soon as I tried to put her on the toilet (with my arm kind of under her bum, I didn't care if she would've gotten anything on me) she wouldn't do anything.

GL to everyone else starting the potty training!! It is kind of sad how fast our LO's are growing.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    we put her on there but I really don't think we are close.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"