13 Weeks Pregnant

HYPERMESIS.. Help!

Hi there... I am a fortunate future mommy of our very first little blessin!!.However, I am also the unfortunate recipient of the Hyperemesis disease. I have been so so sick since week 5...The nausea/dry heaving/vomiting is HORRIFIC..even with drug assistance..I do not eat- I cannot drink- sleeping is a luxury at night..since my latest and greatest activityduring the day is SLEEP...i've already had a succession of visits to the ER (iv fluids & sent home)..week after overnight in hospital (again, iv fluids & sent home).. and 3 days after that admitted to hospital for a week long stay for a crazy amount of fluids-vitamins-drugs & monitoring :-( I was so dehydrated from being so sick for so long my kidneys were shutting down....ugh..I've even had to quit my job b/c the amount of time taken off...& I'm still not better...Needless to say it has been a terribly rough road!

Just wondering if anyone else out there is suffering (and I do not use that term lightly) with the same disease..maybe someone has some suggestion for day to day living with this monster?? Is there an end in sight??? I just can't get better!!

Please tell me there is someone else out there in "Bump" land that can relate??

Thanks for listening all...& best of luck to all the other mommies!!

Pregnancy Ticker I've finally married my BEST FRIEND :-) Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: HYPERMESIS.. Help!

• I can completely relate. My hyperemesis is so bad I was taken off work and put on home health. I have a PICC line and receive 2 big banana bags a day plus pushing iv zofran and iv vitamin b. it's helping so much, I think the constant fluids help the most since I still have no desire to eat or drink since I still get nauseated. Maybe talk to your doctor about home health?
  • Oh, girl, I know your pain! I'm not having hyperemesis with this pregnancy, but I did with my 11 yo son. It was horrible! And back then, there wasn't as much knowledge about it, so I was blown off as being a wussy not able to handle ms until I ended up in the hospital for 2 weeks, malnourished, dehydrated and with toxemia. Almost lost my son because they wouldn't listen to me tell them it WAS NOT normal ms! Anyway, hang in there I hope it eases up soon.
  • Loading the player...
  • I am right there with you. I am 13 weeks with Hyperemesis, 2nd pregancy (had it with my 1st too). I've lost 30 lbs in 6 weeks and have went to ER 4 times and been hospitalized for at least 3 day stays 3 times. It's awful. My Dr. has given me everything under the sun and nothing helped all too much. But, we have found if I stick to Reglan and have a VERY low fat diet, I have been able to keep things down a little better. I am on day 3 of vomiting less than 5 times a day! I was getting sick 10-20 time a day.

Hang in there. It's rough and seems like it'll never come to an end, but I promise it does get better. Have your Dr. check your gallbladder as well to make sure all is ok with it. We just recently found problems with mine and my Dr. said thay may be why the Hyperemesis is so bad this time, which is why I have to have a little to no fat diet for the remainder of the pregnancy.

Hope you get to feeling better! Just do what your body tells you, make sure you keep eating and drinking even though we both know it'll all come back up, if you stop eating or get too hungry it only makes it worse and then it is a downward spiral from there.

• I'm there too! 13 weeks and hyperemesis. My Doctor has me on a boatload of daily medicine and I have an extended check in at the hospital so that I can come and go as needed. Luckily I have a job that I can do paperwork at home and make my own schedule so I haven't needed to quit yet. I eat Starburst and jolly ranchers all day. They make my mouth water and allow me to get water in. Not the most ideal situation but effective. I also have found some success with lightly flavored carbonated water. If I drink normal water it all comes back up in a hurry. I'm trying really hard not to get a picc line. I hope it gets better for you soon!!!
  • Exact same story here. I couldn't bear the thought of waking up in the morning because I knew what the whole day had in store for me. Sickness is unbearable!!! I will say that at 12 weeks i am having some good days.... Still some bad.. But I am fortunate that I am seeming to get some relief. Feel better.
  • I had a horrible first pregnancy as well with a similar story, around my 16th week I was still sick and had lost 15 pounds. They transferred me to a high risk where they asked me to try a sleeping aid called unisom, I was prescribed 1/2 a pill at night and half a pill in the morning. I was really tired at first but with in a 2 weeks was fine. after a week on the pill I went down to only throwing up once in the morning. When I hit 20 weeks I started only taking a half a pill at night. If I forgot to take it I would be sick by noon and it would take 24 hrs before I was better again. So I continued to use it the rest of my pregnancy. After the first pregnancy I was scared to do this again, I once again take unisom for my second baby now at 13 weeks I'm only taking half a pill at night and feel a little sick and throw up once in the morning. Im not saying run out and buy unisom I'm saying call your doctor and ask there opinion, I know it saved me the first time and its helping me the second time. good luck and I hope it works for you too.
  • Hang in there ladies! My first two pregnancies were very tough. Even though on medication the hospital visits still occurred. Seemed like forever, but when you see your little one , all that melts away, and you would do it again and again. Im on my third and not one day of morning sickness even, so dont be afraid to try again. Good luck to you all ! You will make it :
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"