Preemies
Options

What were your symptoms of preterm labor?

Hi Ladies Id like to say I hope all of your babies are doing beautifully. Im visiting this board because I am a bit concerned with some pain Ive been experiencing today and hoped you all could give me a little guidance. Today I woke up with a pretty bad backache. It seems to be on my left side , pretty low but I can also feel it midback area. It doesnt hurt bad enough to have me in tears but its definitely uncomfortable! And wont go away! Ive also noticed some menstrual like cramping in my lower abdomen , but this hasnt been constant like the back pain. I was at the doctor last night because I thought I lost some of my mucus plug. She checked me and said I was fine and sent me home. So im very confused but also concerned these could be signs of preterm labor. Hes moving around as I type this and I do not feel like im contracting necessarily...just the aches and pains.

Love, Amanda

expecting our little miracle in February

BabyFetus Ticker

Re: What were your symptoms of preterm labor?

• Options
    It sounds to me like just aches and pains. However where you are describing the back ache sounds like it could have a Urinary Tract infection, which a very common during pregnancy.
  • Options

My symptoms were similar to that, but not quite the same. I had a backache for 24 hours and then started feeling an occasional cramp. It was kind of like a menstrual cramp/digestive discomfort cramp. I thought I was just having usual pregnancy pains but didn't realize I was having contractions. In hindsight, I realized the pains were more and more regular and closer together.

If you're concerned, make note of the frequency of the pains. If they become more regular, go in to get checked again.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

The symptom that ultimately sent me to L&D was back pain too bad to get any sleep.  It felt like I'd been constipated for a week.  I also had all over hardening of my abdomen, but it had no timeable pattern so I thought it was Braxton Hicks.  I was already 4cm and 80% effaced when they checked me in triage.  I had lost tiny parts of my mucus plug over the prior 2 weeks, but my OB said that was normal and I didn't lose the main part until I was beyond 5cm.

imageimage
    2 years, 2 surgeries, 2 clomid fails, 2 IUIs, 1 loss, IVF #1 - 10/25/10 = BFP!, DS is now 3.5yrs!
    TTC #2 - 6/12 surgery #3, FET #1 & 1.2 = BFN, 12/2012 FET #2 = BFP! DD is 1.5 yrs!
    Surprise! 12/16/14 BFP, loss #2 12/31/14

I can't wait for the "im getting a divorce" post in 5 years or so because your husbands were fed up with your disgusting chair asses from playing on the knot all day and getting fired 4-5 times for not doing any work. you guys are all winners!! ~ Laur929

• Options
    Go to the OB, go to the OB!!  I was in pre-term labor with my DD at 24 weeks and I didn't attribute things to symptoms of labor until it was too late.  I felt constipated for several days, and then the lower back ache started.  The contractions and belly hardening got fast quickly, and I was doubled over on my knees when I went to the hospital.  I felt so embarrassed and stupid when it became obvious that I was in trouble that I was ashamed to ask for help.  Don't be embarrassed, and don't apologize for going to the hospital a 100 times if you have to.  Keep us posted.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    With DD#2 I was on bedrest for almost two weeks before I had her. I had time able contractions the last day, even with laying in bed, drinking lots of water. I also had digestive problems (to say it nicely), tightening of my belly, and I didn't really feel like eating. I would call the doctor to just be safe.

• Options
    Pay attention to the menstral like cramping.  I ignored mine for hours.  Looking back, it should have been obvious that they were contractions.  They were coming every 5 or 10 minutes for probably 6 hours before my water broke at home.  Don't be afraid to check back with your OB.  Please keep us posted.
  • Options
    imageL&R70707:

The symptom that ultimately sent me to L&D was back pain too bad to get any sleep.  It felt like I'd been constipated for a week.  I also had all over hardening of my abdomen.

This.  Except I was having these contractions every 2-3 minutes.  When I called my OB and told them it felt like I had to go #2 they told me to come in right away.  I was contracting but not dialating.  But they admitted me to l&d to give me IV fluids and steroid injections.  I ended up going in and out of the hospital for 2 weeks before LO was born at 29 weeks...I always felt stupid going back honestly, but the nurses and doctors all told me not to feel bad, better safe than sorry.  There are things they can do to slow labor if that's what it is and things they can give you to help baby on the outside if s/he comes early.  CALL YOUR OB!!  :)  Good luck :)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I had been having contractions, but they really felt like braxton hicks. Not painful, just mildly uncomfortable. What sent me to the hospital was bleeding from my placenta previa. I was already in L&D and hooked up to a mag drip when I could finally truly feel the contractions.
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

• Options

Mine were the same as yours. On and off for about 2 weeks though. The week before DD was born, I went to L&D with period like cramps, they checked me, not even dialated. But I just knew something was off. 6 days later my water broke.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageMMHaveMyHeart:
    I didn't have any other symptoms besides my water breaking.

Same for me

BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imageBLPL101:
    imageMMHaveMyHeart:
    I didn't have any other symptoms besides my water breaking.
    Same for me

Me three. I was caught totally off-guard.I agree with pps to call the OB if you're concerned. Trust your instincts!

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"