Baby Showers
Options

Thank you card ettiquite

I'm stumped as to how to handle this...

I'm a teacher, and my colleagues just threw a surprise shower yesterday.  We received some very nice gifts from individuals, as well as an envelope full of cash ($180ish) from a group of about 16 people.  Should I write a thank you card to each individual who contributed to the cash fund?  I read online that if a group of 10 or more contribute, a group thank you card is fine and can be posted in a common area.  Problem is, we don't exactly have one common area as we have two different buildings.  I don't have a problem writing individual notes, I just want to be sure it's necessary before going forward with them. 

Thoughts?

Re: Thank you card ettiquite

• Options
    I would just write 1 note and give it to the person that gave you the envelope. They were prob the leader/person that thought of it and is in touch with everyone that contributed.
  • Options

I think if you know who all contributed, it is always appropriate to write an individual thank you.  If you don't know who chipped in (say the card says something like "The staff at X&Y Elementary") then a group note is totally acceptable. 

I tend to go in on big gifts with my siblings and mom for baby and bridal showers and it bugs me to no end when the only person who gets a thank you is my Mom because she is the one who signed the card for us.  My money went in there too.  

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm also a teacher, and I received a gift from the staff as well as individual gifts from people.  I wrote thank you notes for the individual gifts.  For the staff gift, I baked cookies and left them in the teacher's lounge with a general thank you note.
  • Options
    Two common areas = two notes.  Additionally, it would be a nice touch to make a batch of cookies or bring in a box of donuts to accompany the note. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Little Man (4 years old---holy cow)
    He's the single greatest thing I've done in my life and reminds me daily of how fun (and funny) life can be.  He's turned out pretty swell for having such a heartless and evil mother.  
  • Options
    imagediscobelle:

It might not be 100% necessary, but I'd probably write individual notes anyway.  It's only 16 people, you can knock those out pretty quickly.

I agree.  When you get something from a whole department of like 40 people and you don't know for sure that everyone chipped in, then a group note is better.  But for 16 specific people?  Individual notes. 

BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"