LGBT Parenting

Childrens books about same sex parenting?

Hi, everyone! I came to this board and lurked for a few pages to see if anyone else had bothered you all with this question, but didn't see it. If someone has asked recently, I apologize!

I'm looking for book recommendations for my DD that are about or include same sex parents. I've been looking around, but can't find any that really appeal to me. The main deciding factor to me is that I want a book that doesn't perpetuate gender stereotypes, or at least is inclusive of many differently gendered parents.

Do any of you with children have any suggestions for me? Thanks in advance!

imageimageimage
imageimage
Suddenly my life doesn't seem such a waste,
It all revolves around you.

Re: Childrens books about same sex parenting?

• Mommy, Mama, and Me by Leslea Newman 

And

A Tale of Two Mommies by Vanita Oelschlager are two books that we have in our little collection for our future kids. 

****loss discussed*****

We're queer. I'm 33, have severe stage 4 endo, and had both fallopian tubes removed. My love ("Manada" on the boards, 32) was diagnosed with diminished ovarian reserve. We did Partner IVF (my eggs, her uterus). We lost our twins Tavin and Casey at 21 weeks gestation.

Our IUIs
    with @Manada: IUI# 1-7 (December 2012- September 2013) all BFN. Tried natural, femara, clomid, puregon/follistim, clomid and menopur combo, both the ovidrel and HCG triggers.

Our IVFs:
    IVF #1 my eggs November/December 2013: Cancelled IVF due to poor response

IVF #2 my eggs/Manada's uterus January/February 2014
    BCPs and lupron overlap Stimmed: 1/22-2/2: Bravelle and Menopur (dosage ranged from B300 and M150 to B375 and M150 to B300 and M225)
    2/4 retrieved 10 eggs. Endo was much worse than expected. Only 3 eggs fertilized; February 7 transferred two day 3 embryos, froze one. All great condition.
    BFP eve of 6dp3dt; Beta 1 (11dp3dt): 110; Beta 2 (13dp3dt): 175; Beta 3 (15dp3dt): 348; Beta 4 (19dp3dt): 2222; Beta 5 (21dp3dt): 4255
    1st ultrasound (3/6  6w 1d): TWINS!!!! Twin A measuring 6w1d with a heartbeat of 118bpm. Twin B measuring 6w0d with a heartbeat of 113bpm. 

***July 18, 2014 we lost our beautiful babies at 21 weeks gestation. They were born too early. Tavin Sara T. and Casey Elizabeth T. are beautiful and precious and we will love them and miss them forever.***

FET #1 December 2014
    Intralipid infusion on Dec 10. Transfer of 1 day 3 nine-cell embryo into my uterus on Dec. 19. (acupuncture immediately before and after)
    BFP on Dec. 27; Beta 1 Jan 2 (14dp3dt): 665, Beta 2 Jan 4 (16dp3dt): 1859, Beta 3 Jan 6 (18dp3dt): 4449, Beta 4 Jan 10 (22dp3dt): 12,251.

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • We have a link to this topic in our FAQ:

https://community.thebump.com/cs/ks/forums/thread/45918535.aspx

I also really like the new-ish book What Makes a Baby by Cory Silverberg.

Met 07/07/05, Wedding 07/07/07, Legal Marriage Ceremony 12/9/12, Baby Boy Born 08/09/13 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • My wife actually wrote and published a book that was just released called "Layne at Home". It's a simple but very sweet book about our daughter learning about all kinds of families spurred by her realization that her friend has a daddy but she doesn't. I'm biased, but truly believe it is one of the best I've seen. I am hoping she continues with a series.
    Iui #1 = unmedicated = bfn. Iui # 2 = clomid 50 mg = bfn. Iui # 3 = clomid 50 mg = bfn. Iui # 4 = unmedicated = bfn. Iui # 5 = unmedicated = bfp - miscarriage at 5 wks. Iui #6 = nov 2012 = gonal f 75, endotrim 100= chemical pregnancy/bfn
  • K - I just showed the Amazon link to DW.  We are planning to buy 5-10 copies for us and friends.  SO excited to read it and share!
  • I like "and tango makes three" and "Christian the hugging lion"
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    queer couple - 32 (me) & 33 (my love) years old - donor sperm,

Our IF/TTC journey since Nov 2012.

Me: dx of DOR in Nov. 2012. Low AMH, AFC - 6, Normal FSH, SS-A (RO) Antibodies (Autoimmune issues), tubes clear, Sono (November 2013) NORMAL! <p>

7 IUI's - December 2012-September 2013.  Medicated, Injected, Triggered.... all BFN.

My Love:  (the amazing @Healz413)
    Normal AMH & FSH, AFC ~27, blocked tube dx'd via HSG in 2012.   Hydrosalpinx & ovarian cyst dx'd in May 2013.
    dx of Stage IV Endo & bilateral salpinectomy in June 2013.  

Partner IVF#1a- December 2013 - H's eggs, my Ute - CANCELLED due to low response
    Partner IVF #1b - February 2014 - H's eggs, my Ute - ER February 4 (10 retrieved, 3 fertilized), Transfer Feb 7 of one Grade 1 and one Grade 2 day 3 embryos.  1 - Day 3, Grade 1 frosty saved.   BFP - 6dp3dt via FRER, Beta #1 - 110, Beta #2 175, Beta #3 - 348, Beta #4 - 2222!, Beta #5 - 4255.  Ultrasound (6w1d) - 2 heartbearts!  

We lost our beautiful Twin baby girls on June 18, 2014.  Tavin Sara and Casey Elizabeth were born at 21 weeks gestation and were absolutely beautiful, precious, amazing babies.  We miss our daughters every day and love them with all our hearts.

• imagelaynesmomma:
    My wife actually wrote and published a book that was just released called "Layne at Home". It's a simple but very sweet book about our daughter learning about all kinds of families spurred by her realization that her friend has a daddy but she doesn't. I'm biased, but truly believe it is one of the best I've seen. I am hoping she continues with a series.

Very cool! I just put it in my Amazon basket for a future order. :-)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • The family Book is our favorite. It is just matter of fact that there are all types of families and doesn't focus in on just one type.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • imagemadisonpeas:
    K - I just showed the Amazon link to DW.  We are planning to buy 5-10 copies for us and friends.  SO excited to read it and share!

Thanks so much! Hope you like it as much as we do. We gave a copy to Layne's school and they read it to the kids which we find super cool!

Iui #1 = unmedicated = bfn. Iui # 2 = clomid 50 mg = bfn. Iui # 3 = clomid 50 mg = bfn. Iui # 4 = unmedicated = bfn. Iui # 5 = unmedicated = bfp - miscarriage at 5 wks. Iui #6 = nov 2012 = gonal f 75, endotrim 100= chemical pregnancy/bfn
  • Thank you all for the recommendations (and the link to the FAQ -- I always forget to look for one!).

The Family Book is already on its way from Amazon, and I'm looking forward to looking into some of the other books recommended here.

I am on the fence about Mommy, Mama, and Me and Daddy, Papa, and Me. From the excerpts that they show on Amazon, it seems to be the the mom book is all about the nurturing things that his mothers do, and the dad book is about his dads playing with him. For those of you that have one or both of these books, would you say that this is an accurate representation of the book as a whole? I like that the book doesn't draw attention to "Hey this is why it's not weird to have two moms/two dads" but don't like that it seems to play into traditional gender roles.

imageimageimage
    imageimage
    Suddenly my life doesn't seem such a waste,
    It all revolves around you.
  • Here is a list we have in the LGBT Family group my Wife and I run.

LGBT Family Books ?

Daddy's Roommate (Alyson Wonderland) by Michael Willhoite

Daddy, Papa, and Me by Leslea Newman

Heather Has Two Mommies: 20th Anniversary Edition by Leslea Newman Mommy, Mama, and Me by Leslea Newman

When Grown-Ups Fall in Love by Barbara Lynn Edmonds

Mom and Mum are Getting Married by Ken Setteringto

When Grown-Ups Fall in Love by Barbara Lynn Edmonds

Oh The Things Mommies Do!: What Could Be Better Than Having Two? by Crystal Tompkins

The Boy Who Cried Fabulous by Leslea Newman

And Tango Makes Three by Peter Parnell

In Our Mothers' House by Patricia Polacco ( I LOVE THIS BOOK ) 

The Duke Who Outlawed Jelly Beans and Other Stories by Johnny Valentine The Family Book by Todd Parr King 

King by Linda de Haan

The Sissy Duckling by Harvey Fierstein

Then There Was Me by Gloria Finkbeiner

Why Don't I Have A Daddy?: A Story of Donor Conception by George Anne Clay Emma

Meesha My Boy: A Two Mom Story by Kaitlyn Taylor Considine

How It Feels to Have a Gay or Lesbian Parent: A Book by Kids for Kids of All Ages by Judith E. Snow

My Princess Boy (A mom's story about a young boy who loves to dress up.) by Cheryl Kilodavis

The BOOKS below are not mainstream books and are not as easily found from AMAZON or Books store most are direct buys from the author

Loved by two : for children with two mums by Michelle Forte

My two super dads by Bronny Fallens; Munsta Vicente

My mommy is a boy by Jason Martinez

The Lopez Family: Science Fair Day by Monica Bey-Clarke and Cheril N. Clarke

Arwen and Her Daddies Jarko De Witte van Leeuwen

Our Story : A Book for Young Children About Their Conception through Donor Sperm to Lesbian Parents By Nicola Baxter, Donor Conception Network, Donor Conception Network

other books in the series:

Our Story: for children conceived through egg donation

Our Story: for children conceived through double of embryo donation

Our Story: for children conceived by DI into single parent families https://www.donor-conception-network.org/

here are some sites that seem worth of book suggestion as well.

https://www.appreciatediversity.com/ https://www.rainbowsauce.com/glbtfic/glbtkids.html https://booksforkidsingayfamilies.blogspot.com/

Hope it helps

- 2 Moms 2 Twins Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    our Blog -http://dosbabies.wordpress.com/
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"