Single Parents

Very upset vent. feedback appreciated.

So as a mom of a 5 year old kindergartener I am divorced and share custody. But my end is reversed. I only get to see my little on every other weekend an I am the one paying child a support. Long story short My lawyer backed out a day before the finalization of my divorce and I ended up going in unrepresented and lost everything including my baby girl. (I say this because people instantly think I am a bad mom because I don't have primary custody.) This is not true.

So every moment I get with my daughter is important. So I volunteer at her school. I was supposed to be helping out today with the Christmas party and my daughter was  expecting me there. At 7pm she calls me frantic and crying saying "mommy why weren't you there!" It turns out the teacher changed the date and never notified me. I guess papers were sent home but of Corse her father never let me know. I try everything and go out of my way to see her more, help and be apart of everything I can and no matter how hard I try and what I do it never turns out right. The holidays are so hard I have a 6mo. old baby boy now and I want nothing more than all of us to be together for the holidays. Her dad is an evil cruel person who always makes me seem like I don't care and she needs to know we both love her. Please give me advice! what do I tell her?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image

Re: Very upset vent. feedback appreciated.

• I'd just explain to her that something happened that made it so you couldn't go, and that you were very sorry. No need to blame anyone or anything- She will learn to understand and see the patterns of what her dad is doing once she is older, but now she's too young for that. 

Just make sure she knows you wanted to be there, you couldn't be, that you love her very much and that you were sorry you didn't make it.

I'd also maybe speak with the teacher and let her know that you don't always get memos that were sent home so maybe ask her to notify you as well

Hope that helps :) 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"