Babies: 9 - 12 Months
Options

When to expose to peanut butter or common allergens

I'm sure this has been asked a number of times, but when are people giving their babies/toddlers peanut products these days?  I am going to ask my pediatrician at my daughter's 1 year appointment next month, but was wondering what the prevailing thoughts are?  I've heard that early exposure might actually prevent peanut allergies?  Just curious...
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: When to expose to peanut butter or common allergens

• Options
    DS started getting eggs and peanut butter between 8 and 10 months. I believe that early exposure helps prevent allergies, so I went with my gut.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

She's had everything except peanut butter and honey from basically 6 months on.  Peanut butter I added at about 8 1/2 months and the only reason I hold out on that is because the texture is hard to adjust to so I like to make sure that they are well used to food first.  Honey I'll add after a year, but she has had honey graham  crackers courtesy of her sister, so I'm thinking the risk has mostly passed for that one. 

I know honey is the threat of botulism not allergy, but it's still a hold off on food.  Things like eggs, tomato, strawberries, dairy I don't worry about as we have no known food allergies between us or in any of our immediate family.

Daughter #1 - February 12, 2010 

natural m/c March 11, 2011 at 8 1/2 weeks 

Daughter #2 - January 11, 2012 

Ectopic pregnancy discovered November 6, 2012 at 6 weeks

Daughter #3 - January 19, 2014

Started our exploration into the world of international adoption June 2012.  We have no idea what this is going to look like but we are excited to find out!

image              image

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    You can give it to your LO.Some cultures start as early as 6 months.My LO has food allergies so I've read lots of research. She already eats Sunbutter (sunflower butter).
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Here is what I was told with DD1, and this isn't necessarily what I believe, but what I was told.

Peanut Butter - I had heard one yo. Before then, besides the allergy risk, babies' saliva can't break it down fast enough, and it poses a choking risk. I gave DD1 a pb & honey uncrustable in the doctor's office for her one year check (how about that for a one, two punch???). My ped yelled at me not until 2!!! because of the allergy risk. Too late, she loves pb and isn't allergic.

Honey - One yo because of the risk of botulism with raw honey. Not sure about the choking hazard on this one, since it is so gooey. Have to check on that.

Eggs - One year because so many vaccinations have an egg based serum, if your child has an allergy to eggs, and you give them eggs to eat, they will not be able to get vaccinated. The risk of allergic reaction with the vaccination is low because there is so little egg in it. That is what I was told anyway.

I hadn't heard anything about strawberries or tomatos. So many foods have these fruits in them already, that I can only imagine the risk to be a tummy ache from acidity??? Not sure about this one.

Oh, and btw, most store baked goods are baked around tree nuts, so keep that in mind if your child has a nut allergy. Frankly, I feel for parents with food allergic children. I don't remember any kids being allergic to stuff when I was a kid, and now it is everywhere. Weird.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Since my only allergies are non-food (lidocaine) and hubby has no allergies at all, the only food we have avoided giving our daughter is Honey (it's not an allergy thing, honey can have the bacteria that causes botulism, in amounts that are safe for adults but not for babies under 1). This was all with the approval of our family doctor. The only foods she advised not giving our daughter were honey (botulism) and low-fat foods (baby needs the full fat options).

Recent studies have shown that in children who are not likely to be prone to allergies, exposing them to a potential allergen is unlikely to cause an allergy and in some cases may prevent them from getting allergies (children with pets, for instance, have less allergies than those who don't). 

Think of all the cultures in the world that eat peanuts all the time (Thai, areas of South America, etc). They don't have higher rates of peanut allergies. Also true of cultures that eat no peanuts whatsoever (the Inuit for instance). Food allergies are particularly concentrated rather in countries with the highest rate of hygeine. 

• Options
    Oh, one more thing. My ped told my mother to give me soft boiled eggs at 2 months. I'm only allergic to penicillan and sulfa drugs. Goes to show you about conventional wisdom changing all the time.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Besides honey and anything that would be a choking hazard our pedi gave us the go ahead for everything else. She said if they are allergic... they'll have a reaction. No matter when it is introduced. And allergies can develop at any age/stage so there is no preventing them.
  • Options
    We start with all of it pretty much as soon as it's something I'm making.  I start my kids on table foods instead of pureed foods when their ready (5 1/2 months for DD, about 6 1/2 months for DS).  They'd both had peanut butter and whole eggs within their first month of eating table foods.  Both of those foods are high in protein so they are winners in my book.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Options
    I was told no peanut butter until 18 months old per my pedi yesterday at my DD's 9 month appointment.

• Options

I also have heard that early exposure prevents allergies.

We don't have any history of food allergies in either sides of our families, so I never worried about it. I ate all those things while pg, BF, and DS has attempted to eat scrambled eggs... which then got gagged on and vomited back up (swallowing issues we're still working out...)

I'm much more on the lax side of things, but going to get a couple epi pens pretty soon just because you never know. Plus who knows if a family member of friend should need it when at our house.

• Options

imagemabenner1:
    DS started getting eggs and peanut butter between 8 and 10 months. I believe that early exposure helps prevent allergies, so I went with my gut.

ditto this 

BabyFruit Ticker
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    The current thinking is early exposure helps reduce the risk of allergies, so we gave Lucia everything except honey starting around 6 months, or whenever we were eating those things.
    BabyFruit Ticker

BFP 3.8.16  EDD 11.20.16

• Options
    I was told by my pediatrician no peanuts or peanut butter until after 2 years old. I would check with your doc to be safe.
  • Options
    I gave my DD PB last month. Just a very little bit spread thin on hot toast. It was pretty melty so as to not be as sticky. I've done it a couple times and no reactions.

I did the research myself and found the same info about earlier introduction and didn't ask my pedi not saying that's what you SHOULD do, just what I felt comfortable doing. I felt ok with it especially a we have no food allergies in our families.

• Options

I don't believe that early exposure will prevent an allergy.  Exposure has nothing to do with DD's allergy (discovered at 6 months old when she got hives becuase DS was eating PB&J). 

I started PB with DS when DS was around 15 months, I think.  If you don't have a history with allergies in your family then i don't see a big deal with introducing a little after the first birthday.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"